Cornbread, Earl and Me
|Cornbread, Earl and Me|
Movie cover for Cornbread, Earl and Me
|Directed by||Joseph Manduke|
|Produced by||Joseph Manduke|
|Written by||Ronald Fair
Laurence Fishburne III
|Music by||Donald Byrd|
|May 21, 1975|
Cornbread, Earl and Me is a 1975 American drama film that stars Tierre Turner as Earl Carter, Laurence Fishburne III as Wilford Robinson and (Keith Wilkes alias Jamaal Wilkes) as Nathaniel "Cornbread" Hamilton. It was directed and produced by Joseph Manduke. The film is loosely based on the novel Hog Butcher (1966) by Ronald Fair.
The film focuses on three African-American youths living in an urban neighborhood. Nathaniel Hamilton (Jamaal Wilkes alias Keith Wilkes)is a star basketball player from the neighborhood, who also goes by the nickname of "Cornbread." In the movie, he epitomizes the dream of the neighborhood to be successful, as he is about to become the first from his district to enter college on an athletic scholarship. He is also a local hero to the much younger friends Earl Carter (Tierre Turner) and Wilford Robinson (Laurence Fishburne). The plot thickens after a pick-up basketball game ends because of a heavy rain, and all the kids run to the local store and hang out, waiting for the rain to end. All the kids leave, except for Cornbread, Earl and Wilford. Earl and Wilford get into a playful argument about how fast Cornbread can run home. It is decided that Cornbread should make it home in 25 seconds, so he runs off, after buying another soda for himself. Unknown to all of them, an assault suspect is in the neighborhood, and is dressed like Cornbread. The two police officers are hot on the suspect's trail, but lose him in the rain. As the police officers are coming out of an alleyway, they see Cornbread running by and mistake him for the suspect they're looking for. Subsequently, Cornbread is shot in the back, and dies in the middle of the street. Wilford screams hysterically, and a riot ensues. The coroner's inquest is hampered by severe police intimidation, and no one knows anything about the shooting, except for Wilford, who becomes a man on the witness stand by telling exactly what he saw, in graphic detail.
- Moses Gunn as Blackwell
- Rosalind Cash as Sarah
- Bernie Casey as Atkins
- Madge Sinclair as Leona
- Laurence Fishburne III as Wilford Robinson (in his 1. movie)
- Thalmus Rasulala as Charlie
- Antonio Fargas as One Eye
- Logan Ramsey as Deputy Coroner
- Vince Martorano as Golich
- Charles Lampkin as Jenkins
- Stefan Gierasch as Sgt. Danaher
- Stack Pierce as Sam
- Tierre Turner as Earl Carter
- Keith Wilkes as Cornbread (Nathaniel Hamilton)
Release on DVD & HD
- In 2001, it was released on DVD.
- In 2010, it was digitized in High Definition (1080i) and broadcast on MGM HD.
- Fair, Ronald L. & Brown, Cecil (Foreword) (1966). Hog Butchers. ISBN 9780810129887.
- "Cornbread, Earl and Me". MTV Movies.
- "Cornbread, Earl and Me DVD". Movies.com. Retrieved October 19, 2014.