Roz Kaveney, 14 April 2007, by Patrick Nielsen Hayden
|Born||9 July 1949|
|Occupation||Writer and editor|
Roz Kaveney (born 9 July 1949) is a British writer, critic, and poet, best known for her critical works about pop culture and for being a core member of the Midnight Rose collective. Kaveney's works include fiction and non-fiction, poetry, reviewing, and editing.
Kaveney attended Pembroke College, Oxford, where she participated in a poetry group that had a particular interest in Martian poetry and shared a flat with Christopher Reid. She gave up poetry in her twenties, not resuming it until she reached her sixties. Kaveney's poetry was originally written in a rhythmic free verse, although her work later shifted into formalism. For a time she earned a living as a sex worker and in later years has worked as a transgender rights activist.
Kaveney has contributed to several newspapers such as The Independent and The Guardian. She is also a founding member of Feminists Against Censorship and a former deputy chair of Liberty. She is deputy editor of the transgender-related magazine META.
- Tales From The Forbidden Planet (1987)
- More Tales from the Forbidden Planet (1990)
- Temps (1991)
- Eurotemps (1992)
- The Weerde: The Book of the Ancients Book 2 (1993, editor and contributor)
- Scratch Monkey (1993)
- Reading The Vampire Slayer - The New, Updated Unofficial Guide To Buffy And Angel (2001)
- From Alien to the Matrix: Reading Science Fiction Film (2005)
- Superheroes!: Capes and Crusaders in Comics and Films (2006)
- Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars (2006)
- Battlestar Galactica: Investigating Flesh, Spirit, and Steel (2010)
- Nip/Tuck: Television That Gets Under Your Skin (2011)
- Tales from the House Band, Volume 1: A Plus One Music Anthology (2011)
- Rituals: Rhapsody of Blood (2012)
- Dialectic of the Flesh. (forthcoming)
- What If What's Imagined Were All True. (forthcoming)
- "SURVEYOR OF THE SUPERHEROES: KAVENEY TALKS NEW BOOK". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Taylor, Laurie. "Superheroes - Ribbon Culture". BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Jackson, Stevi (1998). Contemporary Feminist Theories. Edinburgh University Press. p. 120. ISBN 0748606890.
- "META magazine: the sex issue". Gay Times. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Guiley, Rosemary (2004). The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves and Other Monsters. Checkmark Books. p. 7. ISBN 0816046859.
- "Booklist Review: Reading the Vampire Slayer". Booklist. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- GRAVETT, PAUL. "Kirby: king of comics, by Mark Evanier; Superheroes!, by Roz Kaveney". Independent. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Keen, Tony. "Superheroes! by Roz Kaveney". Strange Horizons. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Roz Kaveney on Twitter
- official web site
- IMDB entry
- SF Encyclopaedia Entry
- Meta Magazine launch announcement
- Roz Kaveney at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This article about a British journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|