June 13, 1989 |
Saint Paul, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||213 lb (97 kg; 15 st 3 lb)|
|New York Rangers
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||12th overall, 2007
Ryan Patrick McDonagh (born June 13, 1989) is an American ice hockey defenseman currently with the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League. He played college hockey at University of Wisconsin–Madison and was a member of the United States Men's Olympic Team at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Ryan McDonagh attended Cretin-Derham Hall High School in Saint Paul, Minnesota where as a junior he helped lead his team to the school's first state hockey championship. The following season he was awarded the 2007 Minnesota Mr. Hockey award, which is given annually to the top senior high school hockey player in the state. He was drafted in the first round, 12th overall by the Montreal Canadiens on June 22, 2007, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He also won a silver medal with Team USA at the 2007 IIHF World U18 Championships. He also represented the United States in the 2009 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships.
On July 6, 2010, he signed an entry-level contract with the New York Rangers, forgoing his senior season at Wisconsin and joining childhood friend and former Wisconsin teammate Derek Stepan with the Rangers. After beginning the 2010-11 season with the Hartford Wolf Pack, he was promoted to the Rangers on January 3, 2011. He played his first NHL game for the Rangers against the Dallas Stars on January 7, 2011. He earned his first NHL point for the Rangers with an assist on a goal by Brandon Prust against the Carolina Hurricanes on January 20, 2011. On March 20, 2011, McDonagh was the victim of an elbow to the head from Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke, who was subsequently suspended for the remainder of the regular season plus the first round of the Playoffs.
On April 9, 2011, McDonagh scored the game-winning goal, the first of his career, against the New Jersey Devils, to give the New York Rangers the 8th and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
As a result of the 2012–13 NHL lockout, McDonagh signed a contract with Barys Astana of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He became the first American NHL player to join the KHL because of the lockout.
On July 8. 2013, McDonagh re-signed with the Rangers to a six-year contract worth $28.2 million.
Awards and honors
Regular season and playoffs
|2007–08||U. of Wisconsin||WCHA||40||5||7||12||42||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||U. of Wisconsin||WCHA||36||5||11||16||59||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||U. of Wisconsin||WCHA||43||4||14||18||65||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Hartford Wolf Pack/CT Whale||AHL||38||1||7||8||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||New York Rangers||NHL||40||1||8||9||14||5||0||0||0||4|
|2011–12||New York Rangers||NHL||82||7||25||32||44||20||0||4||4||11|
|2012–13||New York Rangers||NHL||47||4||15||19||22||12||1||3||4||6|
|Competitor for USA|
|World U18 Championships|
|2007||United States||WJC U18||7||0||3||3||4||-1|
|Junior International totals||13||0||6||6||6||+4|
- Minnesota Wild. "Cretin-Derham Hall's Ryan McDonagh Named Mr. Hockey". Minnesota Wild. Retrieved 2007-04-20.
- "U.S. Roster for IIHF World Under-18 Championship Named". Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2007 USA Player Statistics by Team". IIHF. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "2009 USA Player Statistics by Team". IIHF. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Montreal Canadiens acquire Scott Gomez from New York Rangers". ESPN. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "McDonagh truly a happy camper". New York Rangers. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "McDonagh turning pro with Rangers". New York Rangers. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "McDonagh getting first shot at NHL". nhl.com. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Rangers vs. Stars". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Rangers never say die in win at Dallas". New York Rangers. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Rangers Ward-ed off by a hot goalie". newyorkrangers.com. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "Carolina 4, NY Rangers 1". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- NHL suspends Pittsburgh Penguins left wing Matt Cooke for blindside hit on Rangers' Ryan McDonagh
- Brooks, Larry (2011-04-10). "Rookie McDonagh nets game-winner for Rangers". New York Post.
- RIA Novosti (2012-10-11). "Ranger McDonagh First American in KHL Lockout Switch". Ria Novosti. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Ryan McDonagh re-signs with NY Rangers, inks six-year, $28.2 million deal". NY Daily News. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- National Hockey League (2010). The National Hockey League Official Guide & Record Book/2011. Triumph Books. p. 316. ISBN 978-1-60078-422-4.
- Botta, Christopher (2012-02-04). "Rangers’ Super Sunday Will Kick Off With a Game Before That Other Game". New York Times. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ryan McDonagh.|
- Ryan McDonagh's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Ryan McDonagh's player profile at NHL.com
|Minnesota Mr. Hockey
|Montreal Canadiens first round draft pick