San Diego Derby Dolls
|Metro area||San Diego, California|
|Teams||The Wildfires (travel team)
Hard Corps (B team)
The Swarm (Home Banked)
Diego Rollers (Home Banked)
|Track type(s)||Banked, Flat|
|Venue||Del Mar Fairgrounds|
The San Diego Derby Dolls (SDDD) is a roller derby league based in San Diego, California. Founded in 2005, the league currently consists of three teams, two of which are travel teams which compete against teams other leagues. The third team competes against the home teams of sister league, the Los Angeles Derby Dolls (LADD).
The league was founded by Bonnie D.Stroir, who lived in San Diego, but had been skating with LADD for two years. Around late 2006, the Dolls installed a banked track, but also continue to compete on a flat track, becoming the first "hybrid" league.
By 2009, the Dolls had more than 80 skaters, and welcomed up to 1,000 fans to its bouts. They won the 2009 Battle on the Bank national banked track roller derby championship, and held the title in 2010. In March 2011, they took on WFTDA Championship winners the Rocky Mountain Rollergirls on the Dolls' banked track, losing 100-125 to the flat track league.
San Diego was a founding member of the Roller Derby Coalition of Leagues in January 2012.
- Nina Garin, "Dolls with wallop", San Diego Union-Tribune, 2 October 2009
- Helen Sanderson, "Roller derby comeback", North Coast Journal, 18 January 2007
- "Around the Horn: Derby Style", San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, 4 February 2011
- Michael Stetz, "San Diego Derby Dolls to host flat-track champions", Sign On San Diego, 8 March 2011
- Busta Armov, "Rocky Mountain Conquers Banked Track", Derby News Network, 31 March 2011
- "RDCL Founding Members and Mission", Roller Derby Coalition of Leagues, January 1, 2012
Los Angeles Derby Dolls
|Battle on the Bank winners