Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area
The Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area is a county park located in Irwindale, California, USA, in the San Gabriel Valley and nestled among the gravel quarries in the area, many of which are currently inactive. The San Gabriels produce more gravel than most other mountains. The park is maintained and operated by the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation. The park, located off the San Gabriel River Freeway (Interstate 605), contains a 70-acre (280,000 m²) lake for year round fishing and non motorized watercraft.
The dam is a popular tourist attraction, most likely due to the views of the San Gabriel Mountains. Recreational activities at the park include swimming(seasonal), fishing, boating(non-motorized), cycling, birdwatching, and hiking. In 2005, the annual Renaissance Pleasure Faire of Southern California was relocated to the park from its long-established location at the Glen Helen Regional Park (home of the San Manuel Amphitheater) in Devore, California. Prior to that it was located on the Paramount Ranch in Agoura, California, from 1966 to 1988.
Santa Fe Dam Nature Center
The focus of the Santa Fe Dam Nature Center is the plant life and wildlife of the alluvial fan of the San Gabriel River. The nature center is open daily from 10 AM to 1 PM, and is operated by the San Gabriel Mountains Regional Conservancy. Programs include nature and bird walks, nature hobby presentations, insect identification, Tongva cultural history and other special programs.
- Cara Mia DiMassa (January 16, 2002). "Archdiocese Buys a Hole in the Ground". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Lee Silver (1006-07-01). "Why is there so much gravel in the San Gabriel Valley, especially around Irwindale?". California Institute of Technology. Unknown parameter
- "Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area". County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Upper San Gabriel River Trails, retrieved 2012-11-20
- Dan Slater (2000). "San Gabriel River trail". Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area
- The Natural History of Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area
- Renaissance Pleasure Faire
- Santa Fe Dam Nature Center
- Santa Fe Dam Fishing
- San Gabriel River: Past and Present
|This Los Angeles County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|