|Village development committee|
|Time zone||Nepal Time (UTC+5:45)|
Sauraha is a village in Chitwan District of Nepal situated close by the Rapti River and the Chitwan National Park. It is situated 23 KM from Narayangarh city. It is the eastern gateway to Chitwan National Park and jungle safaris for budget, mid-priced and 3-4 star tourists. Beginning literally as small and very quaint Tharu village of mud and daub huts and houses, with a half dozen mud and daub hotels, it has grown into a small quiet town full of western style hotels and resorts, restaurants, internet cafes, and gift shops.
In addition to good road access, Sauraha has good air connections through Bharatpur airport with regular daily air services from Pokhara and Kathmandu. The airport lies just 15 kilometer to the west of Sauraha. Will need to change to bus, jeep, taxi for connection to Sauraha.
- Via Kathmandu: there are three types of buses available. Cheaper Birganj bound buses which will drop you at Tadi Bazaar about 4 kilometers north of Sunauli where you can easily get local bus, taxi, rickshaws, tanga/pony carts. These second bit more expensive type is the direct tourist buses that are no more comfortable than normal intercity except they are full of tourists. A third type are more comfortable aircondition buses (Greenline, etc.). All buses will travel via Mugling, Narayangarh/Bharatpur, Tadi Bazaar, Sauraha; 4–5 hours.
- Via Sunauli / Bhairahawa on an eastern bound (Birganj/Biratnagar) buses traveling through Butwal, Bharatpur, Tadi Bazaar. Change to local bus, jeep, pony cart, rickshaw to Sauraha: 3 – 4 hours.
- Via Pokhara: direct tourist buses are available via Mugling, Narayangarh / Bharatpur, Tadi Bazaar, Sauraha; 3 – 4 hours.
- Chitwan National Park
- Elephant Breeding Center
- Tharu Cultural Museum
- Seraichuli the chepang Hill Treak
- Devghat - the Hindu religious destination
- 20, 000 lake ( many more natural lakes inside Chitwan national park )
- International Elephant polo (in December )
Jungle / wildlife safaris by foot, jeep and elephant. You are for sure to see the rhinoceros. Also many types of deer, monkeys, and Bengal tiger. Bird watching in and around the jungle. Especially bishajar Tal (20,000 lakes) wetlands area approximately 10 kilometers north west from Sauraha.