Saya no Uta
|Saya no Uta|
|Genre(s)||Visual novel, horror|
On February 24, 2009, a fan-made translation patch was released. The patch, while requiring a copy of the original game, translated the game's entire script. This allowed fans who didn't understand Japanese to enjoy the story as well. As of 7/09, this patch was taken offline, as JAST USA bought the rights.
As of July 2011, JAST USA has officially announced that Saya no Uta will be released in English.
Fuminori Sakisaka is a young medical student, whose life is changed when he gets in a traffic accident which kills his parents and leaves him heavily injured. Fuminori undergoes experimental brain surgery to save his life, but the surgery has an unintended side-effect - it creates a form of agnosia, causing his senses to become "warped". He perceives the world as a hellish nightmare with a black sky and buildings covered in pulsating flesh, where all the streets and building interiors are splattered with blood, giant organs and cartilage. Ordinary people appear to him as grotesque, giant grub-like monsters with a hideous stench, and even food that he used to like now tastes utterly disgusting.
As he contemplates suicide in the hospital, Fuminori meets a beautiful, human looking girl among the flesh-covered walls. She introduces herself as Saya, and is apparently looking for her father. Fuminori does not want to be separated from Saya, and asks her to live with him. She agrees.
However, just as Fuminori sees normal things as monstrously twisted abominations, ordinary observers are able to see that Saya is actually a hideous creature from another universe. She is rarely ever seen by anyone but Fuminori, and those that do see her are immediately killed and consumed by her, usually after being driven insane by her hideous appearance. Though her true form is never directly shown, it is described in text, and she is similar in appearance to the misshapen blob-like monstrosities which haunt Fuminori's world. The ultimate goal of her life is to spread her life-form into this universe by transforming the native life-form with the highest level of intelligence: the human being. She learned everything about humanity from her "father", an eccentric Bio-medical scientist named Masahiko Ōgai, the first person to interact with Saya. She finds out the motive of human reproduction is "love", and the process is carried out by females. Consequently, she considers herself as a girl, looking for "love" to prepare for the final reproduction. However, because of her grotesque appearance, she had no chance to succeed - until she met Fuminori.
After her first contact died, she stayed in the hospital to continue her study and to look for the next relationship with a human being, which unfortunately results in a horror story in that hospital. Fuminori's experience also provides her the chance to learn the skills of modifying brains and bodies of human beings.
The truth is revealed when Fuminori comes home to see Saya eating the slime-covered corpse of Ōmi, a girl he knows which appears as a yellow-green jelly-like thing in Fuminori's eyes. The smell and texture was described by Fuminori as "herb-like scent, looks like a variety of succulent fruits". When he tries it, he actually finds the human flesh delicious due to his twisted senses.
There are three endings to the visual novel, depending on the choices that the player makes during the course of the game:
- Ending 1
- Saya helps Fuminori return to normal, but suddenly leaves because she does not want to reveal her true form to Fuminori. Fuminori contacts the police, is charged with murder, and becomes confined in a psychiatric hospital for the rest of his life. Saya visits Fuminori once and, refusing to let Fuminori see her and hear her real voice, communicates using text messages in a cell phone passed through an opening in the door. Fuminori confesses his love and promises to comfort her at any time. Saya leaves to search for her father, whom she believes could help her "go back to where she came" (possibly alluding to the other dimension from which Saya came), and Fuminori continues to wait for her eventual return in his cell. It is implied that the two never meet each other again. In this ending Yoh is not mutated nor is she killed.
- Ending 2
- Fuminori accepts what has happened to him and decides to remain the way he is to stay with Saya. To keep what has happened a secret, Fuminori decides to kill Kōji by pushing him into a dried up well at Masahiko Ōgai's abandoned house in the mountains. However, Kōji is saved by Dr. Ryōko Tanbo, and they discover Ōgai's log with information of Saya. Kōji returns with plans to kill Fuminori in vengeance, and Ryōko offers to help him. After getting Fuminori's location by blackmailing him with information of Saya, the duo enter to kill Fuminori, and in the ensuing struggle Kōji kills a hideously mutated Yoh while Fuminori mortally wounds Ryōko. Before dying, Ryōko, using liquid nitrogen, inflicts a fatal wound to Saya. Realizing he is going to lose Saya, Fuminori loses all will to live and commits suicide. Saya uses her last strength in order to crawl to Fuminori's body while being repeatedly hit with an iron pipe by Kōji. She dies soon after reaching with him. After everything he went through, Kōji's mind shatters: he is left with delusions and paranoia, constantly plagued by nightmares of his deceased friends and vivid hallucinations of Ryōko. He purchases a single bullet for his revolver, implying that if his nightmares become unbearable he will commit suicide.
- Ending 3
- The events in this ending are similar to the previous one, except Kōji does not receive help from Ryōko and attempts to kill Fuminori by himself. Without Ryōko's interference, Saya and Fuminori kill Kōji together. Afterwards, it turns out that Saya has reached the last stage and ultimate goal of her life: reproduction. Saya releases a spore-like matter into the atmosphere—a mutating agent aimed at humans, created by researching the human genome obtained during sex with Fuminori. The agent is spread across the globe by updrafts, slowly turns the entire human population into members of Saya's species. The end of the story is seen from Ryōko's perspective, and it is implied that Fuminori will see beauty in the world once again since it will be filled with her kind. Fuminori and Saya are said to live happily ever after, at the expense of everyone else in the world.
- Fuminori Sakisaka (匂坂 郁紀 Sakisaka Fuminori )
- Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (credited as Hikaru)
- The protagonist of the game. A medical school student, he suffers a near-fatal traffic accident which kills his parents and leaves his perception of life permanently altered. As he wades through a "world gone berserk" of flesh and blood, he seeks the affection of the only thing he sees as normal — a mysterious girl named Saya, whom he falls madly in love with. Over time due to Saya's influence, Fuminori views normal people with apathetic disdain and becomes willing to kill others without remorse with only Saya and later, Yō as exceptions. Over the course of the events, he gradually becomes a ruthless cannibal, finding human flesh delicious through his twisted senses.
- Saya (沙耶 Saya )
- Voiced by: Naoko Takano (credited as Midori Kawamura)
- Saya is a being from another dimension who materialized in this universe for the sole purpose of reproduction. She has no memories of where she came from and is guided only by her instincts. Due to Fuminori's condition, he perceives her as a little young girl in a white dress, but in actuality she is some sort of amorphous, tentacled, fleshy abomination that emits a putrid stench. She preys on creatures of all sizes, from cats to human beings, typically killing them by snapping their necks or disembowelment through some unknown means, and then feasting on their internal organs. She is apparently capable of projecting a strong acid which she uses to partially digest her food before consuming it, and, in one case, to infiltrate a house by melting the glass of a window. Her true form is never fully revealed, as she immediately kills and consumes any third-party observers and notably because her visage is incomprehensible to humans, rendering them insane. The small amount of information regarding her actual form is gleaned entirely from in-game descriptions, which themselves are rather vague and never go into detail.
- Kōji Tonoo (戸尾 耕司 Tonoo Kōji )
- Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto
- Fuminori's friend. After Fuminori's accident he has been trying to help Fuminori's life get back to normal. However, after Kōji is almost killed by Fuminori and learns the truth of Fuminori's new character, Kōji directly confronts Fuminori's actions and attempts to kill him.
- Ōmi Takahata (高畠 青海 Takahata Ōmi )
- Voiced by: Hyo-sei (Credited as Erena Kanbara)
- Kōji's girlfriend and Yō's best friend. After Fuminori's accident she has become worried for Yō's sake. After Fuminori blatantly rejects Yō, Ōmi investigates by going to Fuminori's house. Inside Fuminori's house, Ōmi is killed by Saya. And eaten by Saya and Fuminori.
- Yō Tsukuba (津久葉 瑶 Tsukuba Yō )
- Voiced by: Mio Yasuda
- A friend of Fuminori's who has a crush on him. Since his accident she has been worried and heartbroken at his sudden change of attitude towards the world. When she goes to investigate the disappearance of Ōmi, Yō is captured by Saya. Yō is subjected to an experiment by Saya and becomes genetically altered into the same type of creature as Saya after over 20 hours of hideous transformation. Fuminori was then able to view Yō as he originally did afterwards. However, the change caused Yō unbearable pain and she begged Kōji to kill her later in the story. However, Kōji's mind snaps from the sight of her monstrous form and he beats her to death with a rusty iron pipe in his horror and confusion. As the first ending takes place before Yoh is captured and mutated by Saya, Yoh isn't mutated or killed in that ending.
- Ryōko Tanbo (丹保 凉子 Tanbo Ryōko )
- Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga
- The physician in charge of Fuminori's condition. She becomes suspicious that Fuminori has been hiding something during his routine checkups after he recovers from his injuries.
Made by ZIZZ STUDIO.
- "Spooky Scape"
- "Song of Saya I"
- "Song of Saya II"
- "Scare Shadow"
- "Silent Sorrow"
- "Song of Saya" (沙耶の唄 Saya no Uta ), sung by Kanako Itō
- "Shoes of Glass" (ガラスのくつ Garasu no Kutsu ), sung by Kanako Itō
- Manning, Shaun (March 4, 2010). "Liatowitsch & Ocvirk Sing a "Song of Saya"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- THEoDEAD (April 22, 2010). "EXCLUSIVE: Interview With 'Song Of Saya' Team Daniel Liatowitsch And Todd Ocvirk PLUS A 5 Page Look At Issue #1!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- Lanson, Greg (July 5, 2011). "JAST USA Announces Nitro+ Titles Including Saya no Uta, Talks School Days HQ, Possible Starry Sky Release, and More at Anime Expo". Crunchyroll. Retrieved August 24, 2011.