|Christopher von Deylen|
|Birth name||Christopher Von Deylen|
|Also known as||Schiller|
15 October 1970 |
Visselhövede, Lower Saxony, Germany
|Years active||1998 – present|
|Labels||Universal Music Group
|Associated acts||Bluechel und von Deylen, Peter Heppner, Angelface, Face The Bass, Futuresmile, German Poets, Nova, Ophelia, Polaris, Silver Shadow, Split, Tank, Trip To Mars, Nadia Ali|
|Members||Christopher von Deylen|
|Past members||Mirko von Schlieffen|
Schiller is an electronic music project led by Christopher von Deylen, a German musician, composer and producer. The band is named after the German poet and dramatist Friedrich Schiller. Schiller won the ECHO award in 2002 for the Best Dance Single of the Year with 'Dream of You'. Schiller has sold over 7 million albums worldwide.
Christopher von Deylen does not provide any vocals for Schiller productions himself. Vocals are sung by guest artists including Sarah Brightman, Moya Brennan of Clannad, Adam Young of Owl City, Andrea Corr of The Corrs, Colbie Caillat, Sarah Howells of Welsh emotional folk / indie band Paper Aeroplanes, Ben Becker, Peter Heppner of synth pop band Wolfsheim, MiLù - also known as Mila Mar, Xavier Naidoo, Maya Saban, Kim Sanders formerly of Culture Beat, Ana Torroja of the Spanish pop group Mecano, Tarja Turunen formerly of power metal group Nightwish, Despina Vandi, Alexander Veljanov of Darkwave group Deine Lakaien, Swedish singer September. Other musicians that have collaborated with Schiller include Anggun, Lang Lang, Klaus Schulze, Mike Oldfield, Helen Boulding, Kate Havnevik, Damae of Fragma, Jaël of Swiss band Lunik, Stephenie Coker and German actress Anna Maria Mühe.
Many of Schiller's albums take over a year to receive a North American release. Until 2008 several of Schiller's tracks were re-recorded with English replacing German lyrics. The television channel Music Force Europe dedicates a weekly programming slot to Schiller's music; the show is called "Schill-out."
- 1 Career
- 2 Discography
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Schiller started as a duo, formed by Christopher von Deylen and Mirko von Schlieffen in 1998. The first single of the band was Glockenspiel, with great success in Germany. In 1999 their first full album, Zeitgeist, was launched, focusing in club and dance music. Since von Schlieffen wanted to focus mostly in trance music, while von Deylen wanted a more eclectic electronica, the duo split after their second album, Weltreise.
Schiller's fifth album, Sehnsucht (Desire) was announced in December 2007 and later released on 22 February 2008. Sehnsucht was simultaneously released in two formats and in three editions which are as follows:
- A limited super deluxe edition 3-disc release with two CDs and a DVD. Over 30 new songs will be on the album, with vocalists including Kim Sanders and Jette von Roth who have collaborated with Schiller in the past, as well as some new voices, Klaus Schulze, Ana Torroja, Despina Vandi, Ben Becker, Xavier Naidoo, among others.
The DVD contains footage from the Schiller concert in Kiev, as well as music video clips and 15-minute segment with von Deylen himself. Also included is a 36-page book containing photos, discussions, detailed information about particular songs, and other ephemera.
- A limited edition which contains only one audio disc and a DVD. The audio disc comprises a selection of tracks from the first and second discs of the super deluxed edition. The DVD is identical to the one in the super deluxe edition.
Sehnsucht, a track from the new album, is the first video, and the first single from the album.
Over 100,000 copies of Sehnsucht have been sold since the release of the album, It has received a golden certification. "Sehnsucht" was internationally released under the name "Desire" on 26 May 2008.
Schiller also collaborated with Colbie Caillat on "You" which was released in 2008, both of them appear in the accompanying video. Same year Schiller produced another successful single called 'Time For Dreams' with world famous Chinese pianist Lang Lang. The song was used by the German TV channel ZDF during the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing.
In February 2010, Schiller's sixth studio album - Atemlos - was released. It debuted on second position on German Charts and was the highest entry for a domestic album for the week. The English edition of the album Atemlos (German for Breathless) reached until number 3 in the chart of IFPI in Greece.
On July 28, 2012, Christopher Von Deylen announced, on his Facebook page and website, the Seventh studio album under the Schiller project - Sonne (English: Sun) - to be released on October 5, 2012.
Maserati has used three of Schiller's songs, "Drifting and Dreaming" with Jette von Roth for their promotional video of the Maserati GranTurismo, and "Sommernacht" (German for Summer Night) for their video on the GranTurismo S high performance version, as well as "Let Me Love You" with Kim Sanders for their Quattroporte high performance sedan.
The original German releases are under various subsidiaries of Universal Music Group, such as Polydor Records Germany. In the U.S., Schiller has been signed to several independent record labels, including Radikal Records for Zeitgeist, Voyage, and Life; 4 West Records for Day and Night; and OK! Good Records for Breathless.
English translation in parentheses.
- 1999 Zeitgeist (Spirit of the Age)
- 2001 Weltreise (The World Trip)
- 2003 Leben (Life)
- 2004 Live Erleben (Live Experience)
- 2005 Tag und Nacht (Day and Night)
- 2006 Tagtraum (Daydream)
- 2008 Sehnsucht (Desire)
- 2008 Sehnsucht Live
- 2010 Atemlos (Breathless) (2xCD) (Release 12 March) (GER: #4)
- 2010 Atemlos Live
- 2010 Lichtblick Ep (Ray of Hope Ep)
- 2012 Sonne / (Sun) (Released on October 5, 2012)
- 2013 Opus (Released on August 30, 2013)
All albums received special edition release alongside standard release.
- 2001 Zeitgeist
- 2002 Voyage
- 2004 Life
- 2005 Prologue (previously Germany concert sales only)
- 2007 Day and Night
- 2011 Breathless (U.S. version includes Desire)
- 2013 Sun
- 1998 Das Glockenspiel (The Glockenspiel)
- 1999 Liebesschmerz (Lover's Pain)
- 1999 Ruhe (Calm)
- 2000 Ein Schöner Tag (A Beautiful Day) (with Isgaard)
- 2001 Dream of You (with Peter Heppner)
- 2001 Dancing With Loneliness (with Kim Sanders)
- 2003 Liebe (with Mila Mar) (Love)
- 2004 Leben... I Feel You (with Peter Heppner)
- 2004 I've Seen It All (with Maya Saban) (1 Track Promo Release Only)
- 2004 The Smile (with Sarah Brightman) (1 Track Promo Release Only)
- 2005 Die Nacht... Du Bist Nicht Allein (with Thomas D.) (The Night... You Are Not Alone)
- 2006 Der Tag... Du Bist Erwacht (with Jette von Roth) (The Day... You Are Awake)
- 2008 Sehnsucht (with Xavier Naidoo) (Desire) (1 Track Promo Release Only)
- 2008 Let Me Love You (with Kim Sanders)
- 2008 Time For Dreams (with Lang Lang)
- 2008 You (with Colbie Caillat)
- 2010 Try (with Nadia Ali)
- 2010 I Will Follow You (with Hen Ree) (Release: 11 June)
- 2010 Always You / Innocent Lies (with Anggun) (Release: 12 November)
- 2012 Sonne (with Unheilig) (Release: 21 September) (Sun)
- 2000 Das Glockenspiel/ The Bell
- 2002 Dream of You (with Peter Heppner)
- 2005 I Feel You (with Peter Heppner & Kristian Djunited Hansson)
- 2007 Tired of Being Alone (with Tarja Turunen)
- 2008 Porque Te Vas (with Ana Torroja)
- 2008 Forever (with Kim Sanders)
- 2008 Breathe (with September (singer))
- 2008 You (with Colbie Caillat)
- 2011 I feel You (with Kristian Djunited Hansson and Nadia Ali
- 2000 Das Glockenspiel #79
- 2001 Ruhe #126
- 2001 Das Glockenspiel (DJ Tiesto remix) #17
- 2001 Weltreise – Die DVD
- 2004 Leben – Die DVD
- 2004 Live ErLeben (live DVD)
- 2006 Tagtraum (double DVD + audio CD)
- 2008 Sehnsucht Live (double DVD)
- 2010 Lichtblick (double DVD)
- 2013 Sonne Live (double DVD)
- 2002 Voyage – The DVD
- 2004 Life Special editions of the album contained an amended, translated version of the DVD "Leben".
- 2007 Day and Night Live
Mixes & Remixes
- 1999 Sunbeam - Outside World [Schiller Remix]
- 1999 Supanova - Don’t Break My Heart [Schiller Vocal Remix] & [Schiller Instrumental Remix]
- 1999 Trance Allstars - The First Rebirth [Schiller Club Mix] & [Schiller Edit]
- 2000 Trance Allstars - Ready To Flow [Schiller Club Mix] & [Schiller Edit]
- 2000 Tyrell Corp - Running 2.0 [Schiller Remix]
- 2000 U 96 - Das Boot 2001 [Schiller Remix]
- 2002 Apoptygma Berzerk - Until The End Of The World [Schiller Remix]
- 2002 ATB - Let U Go [Schiller Remix]
- 2002 Gregorian (band) feat. Sarah Brightman - Join Me [Schill Out Version by Schiller]
- 2002 Sinead O'Connor - Troy [Schiller Airplay Edit], [Schill Out Remix], & [Schiller Club Mix]
- 2002 Trance Allstars - Lost In Love [Schiller Mix] & [Schiller Radio Mix]
- 2003 Mesh (band) - Friends Like These [Schiller Remix]
- 2003 Moya Brennan - Show Me [Schiller Edit] & [Schiller X/Tended Remix]
- 2004 Marianne Rosenberg - Er gehört zu mir [Schiller Remix]
- 2004 Mila Mar - Sense Of Being [Chill Out Remix by Schiller]
- 2004 Polarkreis 18 -Allein Allein [Schiller Remix]
- 2004 Rammstein - Ohne Dich [Schiller Remix]
- 2008 Klaus Schulze und Lisa Gerrard - Liquid Coincidence 2 [Schiller Remix]
- 2011 Andrea Corr - Pale Blue Eyes [Schiller Remix]
- "Dance-ECHO 2002: Dance-Single des Jahres national (Best Dance Single of the Year (2002))" (in German). ECHO (music award).
- Reports on Schiller Official Website
- "Όλα για τη συνεργασία Βανδή/Φοίβου/Schiller".(Greek) MAD TV. Retrieved on 2 April 2008