School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi
|School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi|
Planning Block of the institute
|Dean||Nalini M Thakur|
|Location||New Delhi, India|
School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi (SPA Delhi) is a higher education institute located in New Delhi, India specializing in education and research in the field of Planning and Architecture. It forms a part of the league along with the other two SPAs in India: the School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal and the School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada.
It is a National Resource Institute of India.
The School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi was started in 30 feb, 1941 as the Department of Architecture of Delhi Polytechnic (now the Delhi Technological University). In 1959 it was merged with the School of Town and Country Planning (established 1955), renamed to its current name and affiliated to the University of Delhi. In 1979 the institute was granted the Deemed University status.
School of Planning and Architecture ranks 1st in India and 7th In Asia. The Planning course here is considered to be third best in the world.
The current SPA Delhi campus is housed near ITO in Indraprastha Estate in New Delhi. The residential campus and hostels are located in New Friends Colony, Maharani Bagh, Delhi.
The two libraries of SPA Delhi together house an invaluable collection of 66,000 books, built up over a period of five decades. This library is reputed to be Asia's finest specialised library dealing with the architecture, design and planning fields along with their allied disciplines. In addition to SPA Delhi's own faculty and students, the library is used intensively by a range of visiting research scholars from various cities in India and abroad. The architecture campus and planning campus libraries are also noted for their collection of Thesis Reports, Seminar Reports, Dissertation Reports, Technical Reports of various expert bodies and commissions, Census Reports, and so on.
The school offers undergraduate degrees, awarding Bachelor of Planning (four years) and Bachelor of Architecture (five year). Similarly, postgraduate programmes award Master of Planning and Master of Architecture. The school also offers doctoral level programmes leading towards a Ph.D degree after masters.
Student halls of residence
There are two hostels,one in the planning block of the campus and another one in Maharani Bagh.
As of July 2013 the final plans for the new campus in Vasant Kunj has been finalised.
- Arundhati Roy, writer studied at SPA, and later dropped out of the college after 4 years.
- Baburam Bhattarai - 36th Prime Minister of Nepal.
- Revathi Kamath -  A pioneer of mud architecture in India
- Hisila Yami, former Minister of Physical Planning, Government of Nepal
- Satish Grover
- Geeta Mehta
- Snehanshu Mukherjee
- Raj Rewal
- Ram Sharma
- Bindia Thapar
- Alimohammad Alikhanzadeh- Deputy Minister(Urban planning and architecture Research Center of Iran)-Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
In popular culture
- The movie In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) co-written by Arundhati Roy is based on the life of students of the college and was filmed at SPA.
- "About SPA >> About SPA". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- List of Deemed universities, as of 2008 University Grants Commission
- SPA, New Delhi telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- School of Planning and Architecture [SPA] delhiinformation.org. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Indian Express News".
- Capitally Curious indianexpress.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012
- In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) anupamachopra.com.Originally published in the Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 16 November 2012