School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi
|School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi|
Planning Block of the institute
|Dean||Nalini M Thakur|
|Location||New Delhi, India|
School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi (SPA Delhi) is a premier higher education institute located in New Delhi, India specializing in education and research in the field of Planning and Architecture.It is the top ranked college in India for architecture and also the seventh best in Asia. It forms a part of the league along with the other two SPAs in India: the School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal and the School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada.
It is a National Resource Institute of India.
The School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi was started in 1941 as the Department of Architecture of Delhi Polytechnic (now the Delhi Technological University). In 1959 it was merged with the School of Town and Country Planning (established 1955), renamed to its current name and affiliated to the University of Delhi. In 1979 the institute was granted the Deemed University status.
The current SPA Delhi campus is housed near ITO in Indraprastha Estate in New Delhi. The residential campus and hostels are located in New Friends Colony, Maharani Bagh, Delhi.
The two libraries of SPA Delhi together house an invaluable collection of 66,000 books, built up over a period of five decades. This library is reputed to be Asia's finest specialised library dealing with the architecture, design and planning fields along with their allied disciplines. In addition to SPA Delhi's own faculty and students, the library is used intensively by a range of visiting research scholars from various cities in India and abroad. The architecture campus and planning campus libraries are also noted for their collection of Thesis Reports, Seminar Reports, Dissertation Reports, Technical Reports of various expert bodies and commissions, Census Reports, and so on.
The school offers planning, architecture and design courses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. While the Bachelor of Architecture course is one of the oldest in the country, highly successful Bachelor of Planning course was started in 1989. Besides, the school offers 10 postgraduate programmes and two undergraduate programmes along with the doctoral programmes run by all the departments of studies.
Undergraduate degree programmes
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Planning
Postgraduate degree programmes
- Master of Architectural Conservation
- Master of Urban Design
- Master of Design (Industrial Design)
- Master of Planning with specialization in
- Environmental Planning - Housing - Regional Planning - Transport Planning - Urban Planning
- Master of Building Engineering and Management
- Master of Landscape Architecture
Each department of studies has a Departmental Research Committee and Head of the Department of Studies is its chairperson. Academic policy is decentralized to the extent that each department of studies has the Board of Studies, which makes proposals on department related academic matters. Chairperson of the Board of Studies is Head of the Department of Studies. Dean of Studies is the member on all Boards of Studies.
Student halls of residence
There are two hostels, one in the planning block of the campus and another one in Maharani Bagh.
As of July 2013 the final plans for the new campus in Vasant Kunj has been finalised.
- Arundhati Roy, writer studied at SPA, and later dropped out of the college after 4 years.
- Baburam Bhattarai - 36th Prime Minister of Nepal.
- Revathi Kamath - A pioneer of mud architecture in India
- Hisila Yami, former Minister of Physical Planning, Government of Nepal
- Raj Rewal
In popular culture
- The movie In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) co-written by Arundhati Roy is based on the life of students of the college and was filmed at SPA.
- The film society of the college, inmotion organizes one of the India's major short film festivals, Beta Movement
- "About SPA >> About SPA". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- List of Deemed universities, as of 2008 University Grants Commission
- SPA, New Delhi telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- School of Planning and Architecture [SPA] delhiinformation.org. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- List of Prime Ministers of Nepal
- "Indian Express News".
- Revathi Kamath
- Capitally Curious indianexpress.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012
- In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) anupamachopra.com.Originally published in the Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 16 November 2012
- The Hindu:The next big thing?
- The Nation
- Aman ki Asha
- Pakistan press foundation