Seeking The Gold
|Seeking The Gold|
|Grandsire||Raise a Native|
|Foaled||7 April 1985|
|Super Derby (1988)
Peter Pan Stakes (1988)
Dwyer Stakes (1988)
Swale Stakes (1988)
|Last updated on August 10, 2007|
Seeking the Gold is a bay horse bred and owned by Ogden Phipps. He was one of numerous top class runners sired by Mr. Prospector. Seeking the Gold's dam Con Game, a daughter of Buckpasser, also produced the Remsen Stakes winner Fast Play and the Jamaica Handicap winner Stacked Pack.
Seeking the Gold showed his best form as a three-year-old in 1988. He won the Super Derby, the Peter Pan Stakes, the Dwyer Stakes, and the Swale Stakes. He was narrowly beaten by Forty Niner in both the Haskell Invitational Stakes and the Travers Stakes and finished second to Alysheba in the 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic.
Seeking the Gold was pensioned in November of 2008 after standing stud at Claiborne Farm for a fee that was as high as $250,000 before being lowered to $125,000 (live foal) in 2005. Seeking The Gold sired at least 85 Stakes winners, of which 18 were Grade I winners. His progeny include:
- Heavenly Prize (b. 1991) - won eight Grade I races, 1994 American Champion 3-Yr-Old Filly
- Flanders (b. 1992) - won Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies, 1994 American Champion 2-Yr-Old Filly
- Seeking the Pearl (b. 1994) - first Japan-based horse to win a Group 1 race in Europe, career earnings of $4,021,716
- Dubai Millennium (b. 1996) - won four Group One races, career earnings of $4,470,404
- Cash Run (b. 1997) - won the 1999 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies
- Pleasant Home (b. 2001) - won 2005 Breeders' Cup Distaff
- Wanderin Boy (b. 2001)(deceased) - multiple stakes winner including G1 Pimlico Special
- Bob and John (b. 2003) - won 2006 Wood Memorial Stakes
- Jazil (b. 2003) - won 2006 Belmont Stakes
After being pensioned from stud duty in November 2008, Seeking the Gold was allowed to continue to reside in one of the stallion barns at Claiborne Farm, where he continues to reside at age 29 as of fall 2014.
- "Seeking the Gold pedigree". equineline.com. 2012-05-08. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- William Nack (1988-08-29). "Forty Niner nipped Seeking the Gold in the Travers". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Seeking the Gold Pensioned". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2013-07-17.