Sewn Mouth Secrets
|Sewn Mouth Secrets|
|Studio album by Soilent Green|
|Released||September 22, 1998|
|Recorded||May 22–June 1 1998|
Hydra Head Records (vinyl)
|Producer||Keith Falgout and Soilent Green|
|Soilent Green chronology|
Sewn Mouth Secrets was Soilent Green's first full-length album to be released on Relapse Records; they had already worked with the label for their previous EP A String of Lies. It was recorded in 1998, the 22nd of May through the 1st of June; it was produced by Keith Falgout and Soilent Green. It was mixed during the 20th and 21st of June of the same year at Festival Studios by Keith Falgout and the band. It was mastered by Dave Shirk at Sonorous Mastering, Inc., in Tempe, Arizona. The album was finally released on September 22, 1998. Scott Hull remastered the album at Visceral Sound for a compilation with the EP A String of Lies which was released on October 11, 2005.
The album was generally well received. It was given a 4.5 out of 5 by William York from Allmusic, who called it "the band's strongest effort to date." It made Rolling Stone call Soilent Green one of the "ten most important hard and heavy bands right now" and was 18th on Terrorizer's top albums of 1998.
Music and artwork
The record features Soilent Green's mixture of grindcore and sludge metal. According to William York from Allmusic, "each song is a nonstop sequence of constantly morphing riffs and assaultive, split-personality vocals, leaving listeners little chance to catch their breaths." Throughout, frontman Ben Falgoust alternates between black metal screams, a hardcore-derived, semi-barking voice; spoken word passages and death growls. According to York, "his varied vocals, together with his sadistic lyrics, make for a frightening and intense presence." During the album the band uses Southern-flavored rock grooves, blast beats, moments very complex musically and Black Sabbath-inspired riffs. There are a few quiet moments, like the intros on "Build Fear" and "Her Unsober Ways."
- "It Was Just an Accident" - 4:12
- "So Hatred" - 3:48
- "Build Fear" - 2:48
- "Looking Through Nails" - 3:03
- "Breed in Weakness" - 4:13
- "Cold-Steel Kiss" - 3:37
- "Openless" - 0:26
- "Her Unsober Ways" - 4:03
- "Sewn Mouth Secrets" - 5:24
- "Walk a Year in My Mind" - 5:10
- "Gagged Whore" - 4:23
- "Emptiness Found" - 3:42
- "Sticks and Stones" - 0:53
- Louis Benjamin Falgoust II – Vocals
- Donovan Punch – Guitar
- Brian Patton – Guitar
- Tommy Buckley – Drums
- Scott Williams – Bass
- Phil Anselmo – Vocals (uncredited)
- Keith Falgout – Producer, mixer
- Dave Shirk – Mastering
- York, William. "Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- York, William. "Soilent Green biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
- Soilent Green. Sewn Mouth Secrets & A String of Lies. Relapse Records. Liner notes.
- "Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets and & A String of Lies". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "Terrorizer albums of '98". Terrorizer. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Soilent Green". Metal Blade Records. Retrieved 2009-06-11.