|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (October 2013)|
|Headquarters||Stamford, Connecticut, USA|
|Products||Dipping tobacco, snus|
Skoal is a brand of dipping tobacco, also known as moist snuff, and snus. Skoal is produced by the U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, which is a subsidiary of Altria. It is considered a higher-priced product within the dipping tobacco market. Skoal was first produced by USSTC in 1934.
"Skoal" is an Anglicisation of skål, a term used in some Scandinavian regions to announce a toast of friendship, with connotations of well-wishing. Skoal is often frowned upon in the "dipping community" because it is a brand of moist snuff that contains fruity flavors and less nicotine and many times even priced higher than other brands.
Cuts and Flavors
Skoal is packaged in 1.2 oz plastic can with a metal lid and is available in three textures: fine cut, long cut and two different pouch sizes. Fine Cut is more grain-like, while Long Cut is more string-like. Two pouch varieties of Skoal are also available, Bandits, which are small pouches, and also standard size pouches. The tobacco is sealed in a teabag-like pouch, eliminating the problem of tobacco spreading throughout the mouth. They are also easier to remove, since the tobacco stays in the pouch throughout the duration of use. Skoal Bandits are smaller, 1 gram pouches. To compensate for the smaller portion of Bandits, tins of them contain 20 pouches, instead of the standard 15.
Skoal Original Fine Cut Wintergreen originally came in a fiberboard can with tin lid, just like Copenhagen, and not too long ago was packaged in the plastic can with a tin lid. Skoal Long Cut always came in a plastic can, and originally had a plastic lid as well.
- Skoal Original Fine Cut Wintergreen
- Skoal Bandits Mint
- Skoal Bandits Wintergreen
- Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen
- Skoal Long Cut Straight
- Skoal Long Cut Mint
- Skoal Long Cut Classic
- Skoal Long Cut Cherry
- Skoal Long Cut Spearmint
- Skoal Long Cut Apple Blend
- Skoal Long Cut Berry Blend
- Skoal Long Cut Citrus Blend
- Skoal Long Cut Select Blend (Only Available In Ohio)
- Skoal Long Cut Peach Blend
- Skoal Pouches Mint
- Skoal Pouches Straight
- Skoal Pouches Wintergreen
- Skoal ReadyCut Mint
- Skoal ReadyCut Straight
- Skoal ReadyCut Wintergreen
- Skoal Snus Mint
- Skoal Snus Smooth Mint
- Skoal X-tra Crisp Blend Long Cut/Pouches
- Skoal X-tra Mint Long Cut/Pouches
- Skoal X-tra Mint Chill Long Cut/Pouches (only available in certain areas)
- Skoal X-tra Rich Blend Long Cut/Pouches
- Skoal X-tra Wintergreen Long Cut/Pouches
Skoal X-tra was introduced in 2011 and consists of bolder flavor and slightly more nicotine than regular Skoal. The two new flavors of Skoal X-tra Crisp Blend, and Rich Blend, are two regular Skoal flavors fused together. Crisp Blend is a combination of Apple and Citrus, while Rich Blend is a combination of Cherry and Berry.
Skoal ReadyCut was introduced in late 2012. It is 15 pre-formed cubes of long cut tobacco which eliminate the need for packing the tin and are more convenient than traditional long cut.
When Skoal Long Cut was originally introduced, the original 4 flavors were
- Mint (introduced in 1985)
In 1993 the first 2 new flavors added to the lineup were
Soon many more flavors and varieties were added to the Skoal family.
- Skoal Dry Cinnamon Pouches
- Skoal Dry Menthol Pouches
- Skoal Dry Regular Pouches
- Skoal Long Cut Edge Wintergreen
- Skoal Long Cut Frost
- Skoal Long Cut Vanilla Blend
- Skoal Pouches Citrus Blend
- Skoal Pouches Berry Blend
- Skoal Snus Cinnamon
- Skoal Snus Citrus Blend
- Skoal Bandits Straight
- Skoal Bandits Classic
- Skoal Flavor pouches
- Skoal Key (Currently only found in Missouri and Kansas, with some offerings online.)
- Skoal Fine Cut Straight (Found in North Carolina, and offered through Sam's Club online.)
- 1934: Skoal is introduced as a wintergreen-flavored smokeless tobacco.
- 1983: Skoal Bandits are released.
- 1984: Skoal Long Cut is released nationwide. It's introduced in 4 flavors: Wintergreen, Mint, Straight, & Classic.
- 2010: Skoal pouches are released.
- 2011: Skoal Snus is released.
- 2011: Skoal Xtra is released in pouches and longcut.
- Early 2012: Skoal ReadyCut is released in a limited area. (Indiana, Florida, Kentucky, and Virginia only)
- Late 2012: Skoal ReadyCut is available across the United States.
- 2013: Skoal Xtra Mint Chill released for trial in select areas (Texas, South Carolina, and Virginia only)
IRI infoscan data for 2012 indicate Skoal tobacco holds a 22.5% share of the US smokeless tobacco market. There have been several songs written about Skoal or contain references to Skoal such as "The Grundy County Spitting Incident" by Cledus T. Judd.
- "UST Inc. History". U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company. Retrieved 2007-11-19.