Sloan Great Wall
The Sloan Great Wall (SGW) is a cosmic structure formed by a giant wall of galaxies (a galaxy filament). Its discovery was announced from Princeton University on October 20, 2003, by J. Richard Gott III, Mario Jurić, and their colleagues, based on data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. The wall measures 1.38 billion light-years (1.30×1025 m) in length, which is approximately 1/60 of the diameter of the observable universe, and it is located approximately one billion light-years from Earth.
The Sloan Great Wall is 2.74 times longer than the CfA2 Great Wall of galaxies, which was discovered by Margaret Geller and John Huchra of Harvard in 1989. It contains several galactic superclusters, the largest and richest of which is named SCl 126. This is located in the highest density region of the structure. It is followed in size by the supercluster SCl 111.
In 2011, it was suggested that the SGW is a chance alignment of three structures, and not a structure in itself.
- CfA2 Great Wall
- CMB cold spot
- Large-scale structure of the universe
- Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
- Gott, J. Richard, III et al. (May 2005), "A Map of the Universe", The Astrophysical Journal 624 (2): 463–484, arXiv:astro-ph/0310571, Bibcode:2005ApJ...624..463G, doi:10.1086/428890 Figure 8 – "Logarithmic Maps of the Universe" – is available as a poster from the homepage of Mario Juric.
- Horvath I., Hakkila J., and Bagoly Z. (2014). "Possible structure in the GRB sky distribution at redshift two".
- Horvath I., Hakkila J., and Bagoly Z. (2013). The largest structure of the Universe, defined by Gamma-Ray Bursts. arXiv:1311.1104. Bibcode:2013arXiv1311.1104H.
- "Universe's Largest Structure is a Cosmic Conundrum". discovery. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Geller, Margaret J.; Huchra, John P. (1989-11-17), "Mapping the Universe", Science 246 (4932): 897–903, Bibcode:1989Sci...246..897G, doi:10.1126/science.246.4932.897
- Einasto, M. et al. (July 2011), "The Sloan Great Wall. Morphology and Galaxy Content", The Astrophysical Journal 736 (1), arXiv:1105.1632, Bibcode:2011ApJ...736...51E, doi:10.1088/0004-637X/736/1/51
- "The Sloan Great Wall -- Supercluster of Galaxies", SIMBAD (Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg), retrieved 2011-12-24
- Roger G. Clowes, Luis E. Campusano, Matthew J. Graham, Ilona K. Soechting; "Two close Large Quasar Groups of size ~ 350 Mpc at z ~ 1.2"; Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 419, Issue 1, pp. 556-565 ; January 2012 ; arXiv:1108.6221 ; Bibcode: 2012MNRAS.419..556C ; doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2011.19719.x ;
|This astronomy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|