||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)
Snipping Tool is an application included in Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Experience Pack for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005. It was originally released as a powertoy for the Tablet PC launch on November 7, 2002. The program is a screen-capture tool that allows taking screenshots (called snips) of an open window, rectangular areas, a free-form area, or the entire screen. Snips can then be annotated using a mouse or a tablet, saved as an image file (PNG, GIF, or JPEG file) or an MHTML file, or e-mailed.
There are a number of options that can be changed in the Snipping Tool. Clicking on the Options button on the toolbar presents the user with two groups of options:
Snipping Tool in Windows 7
- Hide instruction text – Hides the instructional text displayed by Snipping Tool.
- Always copy snips to the Clipboard – Places the snipped image on the clipboard, allowing it to be pasted into another program such as a word processor.
- Include URL below snips (HTML only) – If a snip is taken of an Internet Explorer page and saved as a single HTML or MHT file, the URL of the page will be displayed below the snip.
- Prompt to save snips before exiting – If a snip has been taken but not saved, then on exit the user will be prompted to save the snip.
- Show screen overlay when Snipping Tool is active – When the Snipping Tool is active a transparent white overlay will be displayed across the screen; when making a snip, the snip select is shown without the white overlay.
- Ink color – Sets the color of the Ink used when drawing on a snip.
- Show the selection ink after snips are captured – When checked, a colored selection border is shown around the snip.
Other Options 
After a snip has been captured a few more options become available: from the tools menu the user can select Pen and then Customize... Here a custom pen can be created with the option to change the Color, Thickness, and the Tip of the pen. A highlighter option is also available.
See also