Soekarno: Indonesia Merdeka
|Directed by||Hanung Bramantyo|
|Produced by||Raam Punjabi|
|Written by||Ben Sihombing|
|Distributed by||MVP Pictures|
Soekarno: Indonesia Merdeka is an Indonesian biographical film directed by Hanung Bramantyo, and written by Ben Sihombing. This film told the past life of Soekarno, the first Indonesian President. Soekarno, who was born with the name "Kusno", was one of many historical figure who fight politically for Indonesian freedom. This film followed the life of Soekarno from the day he was born until he declared the Republic of Indonesia's independece. This film starred Ario Bayu as Soekarno, Lukman Sardi, Maudy Kusnaedi, Tika Bravani, and Tanta Ginting.
On December 13, 2013, Central Jakarta Business Management Court (PTUN) agree with Rachmawati Soekarnoputri who want to stop the film (temporary decision). Some film experts says that the film is too commercial without concern with history and national character building. In fact, the film is still running in the theatres and on January 7, 2014 PTUN give a final decision to withdraw the temporary decision, so the film can legally running.
Soekarno: Indonesia Merdeka is based on the life of Sukarno, the first Indonesian president. In 1931, The Dutch East Indies Government in Java Island captured Soekarno, an aspiring young man who wanted to free Indonesia from colonialism. He was then put in Banceuy Prison at Bandung, Indonesia. Soekarno found a way to fight back by delivering his famous defence oration "Indonesia Acccuse!" (Indonesia Menggugat) in his trial at Bandung Laandraad Courthouse. This story follows the life of Soekarno, Republic of Indonesia's first president, from his childhood until he managed to proclaim Indonesian freedom with M. Hatta.
- Ario Bayu - Soekarno
- Lukman Sardi - Hatta
- Mathias Muchus - Hassan Din
- Henky Solaiman - Koh Ah Tjun
- Ria Irawan - Prostitute
- Emir Mahira - Soekarno (Teen)
- Aji Santosa - Soekarno (Kid)
- Tika Bravani - Fatmawati
- Sujiwo Tejo - Soekemi
- Michael Tju - Emperor Hirohito
- Ferry Salim - Sakaguchi
- Widi Dwinanda - Ratna Djoeami
- Agus Kuncoro - Gatot Mangkuprojo
- Coach Timo - Letkol Hoogeband
- Maudy Kusnaedi - Inggit Garnasih
- Tanta Ginting - Sjahrir
- Norman Rivianto Akyuwen - Dr. Waworuntu
- Stefanus Wahyu - Sayuti Melik
- Elang - Kartosuwiryo
- Agus Mahesa - Ki Hadjar Dewantara
- Hamid Salad - Achmad Soebardjo
- Noel Kevas - Dr. Radjiman Wediodiningrat
- Budiman Sudjatmiko - Suyudi
- Theo - Oto Iskandar di Nata
- Nelly Sukma - Kartika
- Husni - Sujatmoko
- Muhammad Abbe - Wikana
- Fajar - Kyai Zaenal Mustofa
- Uchida - Nishijima
- Susumu - Hitoshi Imamura
- Roza - HOS Tjokroaminoto
- Diel Sriyadi - Asmara Hadi
- Ade Firman Hakim - Chaerul Saleh
- Alex - Latief Hendraningrat
- Patton Otlivio Latupeirissa - Riwu
- Toyik - Ki Bagus Hadikusumo
- Anto Galon - Musso
- Argo - Sukarni
- Kedung - Subadio
- Anta - Kyai Wahid Hasyim
- Rully Kertaredjasa - Fatmawati's Mother
- Ganesh - Maskoen
- Helmy Nonaka - Nakayama
- Mia - Mien Hessel
- Suzuki - Admiral Tadashi Maeda
- Ayu Laksmi - Soekarno's Mother
- Moch. Achir - Dr. Soeharto
- Keio Pamudji - Kumakichi Harada
On September 2013, Sukarno's daughter Rachmawati Soekarnoputri who considers herself a pioneer of this movie feels that she was betrayed by the production studio MVP Pictures. She now resists the movie production in its current form. She believes that the actor who portrays Sukarno in the film doesn't meet her expectations. She complains that she is not permitted to give directions to the current actor in order that she could improve details of the actor's gestures to better portray Sukarno. She wants Anjasmara to play Sukarno in the film, but the director, Hanung Bramantyo, prefers Ario Bayu to him. This dispute has led to further argument. On September 23, 2013, Rachmawati reported Hanung Bramantyo to the police on charges of defamation. At the same time Bramantyo has made statements that Rachmawati is just looking for popularity and that is her motive for her dispute about this film.
The movie was been continued despite these protests because the director believes that the movie is historically accurate. "I will continue to screen Sokarno because there is nothing wrong about the movie," he said in September 2013. He said that Rachmawati only had the right to give advice on the film making, not to decide the process of the film making. He affirms that everything about the process of making the film is the prerogative rights of the movie director.
- "Baru Diputar Dua Hari, Master Soekarno Disita Pengadilan". December 13, 2013.
- "Gugatan Rachmawati Soal Film Soekarno Ditolak Pengadilan". January 8, 2014.
- Suhendra, Ichsan (September 14, 2013). "Rachmawati Tolak Film Soekarno: Indonesia Merdeka". Kompas. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Rudi, Alsadad (September 23, 2013). "Hanung Dilaporkan ke Polisi oleh Rachmawati". Kompas. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Tarigan, Mitra (September 21, 2013). "Movie Director Continues to Screen Soekarno Despite Protest". Tempo. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Bramantyo, Hanung. "Klarifikasi Kontroversi Film Soekarno". Retrieved November 4, 2013.