South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
|South Yarmouth, Massachusetts|
|• Total||7.8 sq mi (20.3 km2)|
|• Land||7.0 sq mi (18.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||1,584.6/sq mi (612.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||02664, 02673|
|GNIS feature ID||0615882|
South Yarmouth is located at (41.667908, -70.199774).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 20.3 km² (7.8 mi²). 18.1 km² (7.0 mi²) of it is land and 2.2 km² (0.8 mi²) of it (10.70%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,603 people, 5,485 households, and 3,181 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 640.0/km² (1,656.9/mi²). There were 7,834 housing units at an average density of 432.1/km² (1,118.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.74% White, 1.53% African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.63% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.03% from other races, and 1.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.63% of the population.
There were 5,485 households out of which 18.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.8% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.0% were non-families. 36.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08 and the average family size was 2.67.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 17.1% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 23.2% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 32.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females there were 83.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $37,643, and the median income for a family was $44,325. Males had a median income of $35,476 versus $26,118 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,609. About 5.5% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.3% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
The schools located in South Yarmouth are:
- Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School
- Laurence C. MacArthur Elementary
- Station Avenue Elementary
- St. Pius X School (Grades PreK - 8)
Students from Dennis-Yarmouth Reg High School reside in both Yarmouth and Dennis Massachusetts.
- "A little bit of everything in South Yarmouth". Wicked Local Yarmouth. Perinton, New York: GateHouse Media. 2009.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Map of the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway". World Digital Library. 1916-01. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Weingroff, Richard F. "Good Roads Everywhere: Charles Henry Davis and the National Highways Association". Highway Histoy. United States Department of Transportation. Retrieved 25 July 2013.