Springbank Community High School
|Springbank Community High School|
Believe, Become, Be More
|32226 Springbank Road
Springbank, Alberta, Canada
|School board||Rocky View Schools|
|Grades||9, 10, 11, 12|
|Mascot||Harvey the Long Rod Hot DOGG|
|Colours||Green and White|
|Enrollment||Approximately 750 (as of 2010[update])|
|Communities served||Bragg Creek, Springbank, Redwood Meadows|
|Feeder schools||Springbank Middle School, Banded Peak School|
Springbank Community High School is a public senior high school in Springbank, Alberta, Canada. Located on the west side of the city of Calgary, the school provides programming to students in grades nine to twelve from the communities of Bragg Creek, Springbank, Redwood Meadows and parts of Calgary’s western edge.
The school falls under the jurisdiction of Rocky View Schools.
The high school shares a location with the Springbank Park For All Seasons which provides sports facilities including skating and curling.
The original 2,495 m² high school was a one-storey building built in 1975. In 1980, two small additions comprising 521.6 m² were added to provide CTS (Career and Technology Studies) and Home Economics space.
In 1994, major new additions and modernization took place to provide permanent classroom space with reuse of some existing portables on site. The new addition consisted of 3317 m² of library, science, classroom and physical education space. In 1990, four portables were relocated to the site and a new connecting corridor was added in the 1994 renovation (total portable and link area approximately 500 m²). In 1999, four more portables were added with an additional area of 367 m². In 2001, two additional portables were relocated to the site for an additional 188.5 m². The total area of the current school building is 7,882.1 m² and replacement cost in 2006 was estimated to be 13.8 million dollars.
The school competes and participates in the South Central Zone of the Alberta Schools Athletic Association. It has membership in the Rocky View Sports Association., and follows its guidelines and policies.
- SCHS (abbrev) is considered one of the top public schools in the province of Alberta.
- Jann Arden - an award-winning Canadian singer-songwriter with a fan base primarily in Canada. She was born in Calgary, Alberta
- David Haydn-Jones - an actor, graduated in 1989.
- Lisa Cant - a Canadian model, graduated in 2002, grew up in Redwood Meadows
- Myles Bell - Graduating in 2011 WHL hockey player for the Regina Pats and projected to go 66 overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Grew up in Redwood Meadows
- Joe Colborne - Calgary Flames. Drafed 16th Overall to Boston Bruins in 2008.
- Kiesza - singer-songwriter
- (1992-2000) ----- David Noseworthy
- (2000-2004) ----- Alf Gould
- (2004-2008) ----- Mark Davidson
- (2008-2013) ----- Leslie Collings
- (2014-Present)--- Pam Davidson
- Phoenix Fest ("Western Week" prior to 1997), a week-long student festival hosted by the Student Council. Includes a pancake breakfast, mini chuckwagon races and other school spirit activities.
- Grad Fashion Show (held in April/May of each year), and Casino Night (January/February of each year), to raise funds to offset the cost of commencement activities. These are hosted by the Graduation Committee.
- Fashion Show is considered to be the largest, and most widely anticipated school event in the area each year. It is hosted by the Graduation Committee. Most Grade 12 students participate in Fashion Show.
- In recent years, due to Rockyview regulations, the Casino Night has been replaced with a silent auction/talent and awards night held in the late fall. (2008, Masquerade Gala)