State Fair (1933 film)
|State Fair (1933)|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Henry King|
|Produced by||Henry King|
|Written by||Sonya Levien
|Based on||State Fair (1932 novel)
by Philip Stong
|Music by||Louis De Francesco|
|Edited by||Robert Bischoff|
|Distributed by||Fox Film Corporation|
|Release date(s)||February 10, 1933|
|Running time||97 minutes|
|Box office||$1.8 million|
State Fair (1933) is a movie directed by Henry King and starring Janet Gaynor, Will Rogers, and Lew Ayres. The film was based on a novel by Phil Stong, was the first of three film versions of the Phillip Stong bestseller, others being musicals State Fair (1945 film) starring Jeanne Crain and Dana Andrews; and the State Fair (1962 film) starring Ann-Margret and Pat Boone.
The 1933 version was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture. It has some scenes that would be censored a few years later due to the Production Code that took effect in 1934, i.e. although the writers had cut the novel's depiction of a sexual affair between the daughter and the reporter, they had kept the son's seduction by the trapeze artist. Moralists were particularly outraged by a scene in which Foster and Eiler's dialogue is heard off-screen while the camera reveals a rumpled bed and a negligee on the floor.
Rogers was accorded top billing on some posters but Gaynor was billed above Rogers in the film itself.
A very young Victor Jory also appears as the hoop toss barker at the carnival, near the beginning of a screen career spanning 57 years.
- Janet Gaynor as Margy Frake
- Will Rogers as Abel Frake
- Lew Ayres as Pat Gilbert
- Sally Eilers as Emily Joyce
- Norman Foster as Wayne Frake
- Louise Dresser as Melissa Frake
- Frank Craven as Storekeeper
- Victor Jory as Hoop Toss Barker
- Frank Melton as Harry Ware
- FILM COSTS HIT BOTH EXTREMES: POVERTY ROW SPENDS LESS, BIG STUDIOS MORE MILLION-DOLLAR FEATURES "SHOOT THE WORKS" INEXPENSIVE "ARTY" HIT DUE TO MAKE APPEARANCE Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 16 Oct 1932: B13.
- "WHICH CINEMA FILMS HAVE EARNED THE MOST MONEY SINCE 1914?.". The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) (Melbourne, Vic.: National Library of Australia). 4 March 1944. p. 3 Supplement: The Argus Weekend magazine. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- Flyrope.com page (stage version)
- State Fair at the Internet Movie Database (1933 version)
- State Fair at AllMovie
- State Fair (1933 film) at the TCM Movie Database
- State Fair at the American Film Institute Catalog
- State Fair on Theatre Guild on the Air: January 4, 1953
- State Fair at Theatre Guild on the Air December 31, 1950