Talk:Duplex (building)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Thank you for saying the line is blurred. Would you believe it, that helps clear up years of confusion :) Nastajus 21:19, 14 May 2006 (UTC)


Especially in dense areas like Manhattan, a duplex apartment refers to a single dwelling unit spread over two floors connected by an indoor staircase. Similarly, a triplex apartment refers to an apartment spread out over three floors. These properties can be quite expensive, and include the most expensive property in Manhattan as of 2006 (according to Forbes Magazine), a triplex atop The Pierre Hotel.

That sounds like what, in the page on "house types", was called a "maisonette" and it's the use for duplex employed in Spanish-speaking countries as far as I know.

merge with semi-detached[edit]

As a look in some dictionaries shows([1],[2],[3], "duplex" is a synonym for a semi-detached house in certain English-speaking countries, but it is also used to refer to apartments. The comment about Boston in semi-detached is apparently a joke/vandalism. --Espoo 14:20, 22 September 2007 (UTC)

I am not sure that these side by side houses would be called Duplexes, especially in the Northeast United States. It is what I have always seen as a "Twin." Basically, what I have seen as a duplex tends to be the same mailing address with different housing units, usually on different floors. Such an address can be "175 Maple Ave 1st Flr", "175 Maple Ave 2nd Flr." This idea can be the same for a triplex, etc., as well. Usually the duplex is considered one address by the town where the residence is taxed, and owned by one property owner, (whether that property owner is one person, a couple, a partnership, or a corporation), while the twin can be owned separate owners. Not sure if this point is enough for a rewrite of the entry. Klendathue (talk) 17:06, 4 August 2008 (UTC) Klendathue 8/4/2008

I've always thought of a duplex as one house split down the middle by a wall, with the left side one residence and the right side another residence. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 22:05, 1 December 2010 (UTC)