Cover of Tatakau Shisho volume 1 as published by Shueisha
|Written by||Ishio Yamagata|
|Illustrated by||Shigeki Maeshima|
|Imprint||Super Dash Bunko|
|Original run||September 22, 2005 – January 22, 2010|
|Tatakau Shisho to Koisuru Bakudan|
|Written by||Kokonotsu Shinohara|
|Magazine||Ultra Jump Egg|
|Original run||March 19, 2008 – October 19, 2009|
|Anime television series|
|Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra|
|Directed by||Toshiya Shinohara|
|Music by||Yoshihisa Hirano|
|Licensed by||Sentai Filmworks|
|Original run||October 2, 2009 – April 2, 2010|
The Tatakau Shisho (戦う司書 Fighting Librarians ) series is a collection of Japanese light novels by Ishio Yamagata, with illustrations by Shigeki Maeshima. The series started with the release of the first volume on September 22, 2005, and as of January 22, 2010, ten volumes have been published by Shueisha under their Super Dash Bunko label. A manga adaptation by Kokonotsu Shinohara was serialized in Shueisha's Internet-based manga magazine Ultra Jump Egg between March 2008 and October 2009. An anime adaptation, The Book of Bantorra began airing in Japan on October 2, 2009. The series has been picked up by Sentai Filmworks.
In a world where deceased people turn into stone-like books and are stored in the Bantorra Library, anyone who reads a book can learn its past. Bantorra Library is maintained by the Armed Librarians, who wield supernatural abilities, and their enemy is a psychotic cult known as Shindeki Church. As the story progresses it presents a world of sorrow and pain, and the unfairness and frugality of life, as well as personal desires. However, in each arc there is also a small underlying hope, and more of the reasons, conspiracies, and secrets are revealed behind everything.
- Hamyuts Meseta (ハミュッツ＝メセタ Hamyuttsu Meseta )
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese), Shelley Calene-Black (English)
- The Acting Director of the Bantorra Library. She usually wears a white button-down shirt with a small bunny patch sewn on the right breast. She has an easy-going personality and a lust for battle; she is always searching for an opponent strong enough to kill her. She had a relationship with Mattalast in the past. Her main weapon is a sling (usually wrapped around her right wrist), which she uses to snipe enemies from a far distance with great precision and force. She can throw large objects, but usually uses small rocks or pebbles. The speed of those projectiles can reach 5 times the speed of sound. Her magic ability is "Sensory Fibres", which allows her to observe locations from afar. Her fibres, fully emitted, can reach approximately 50 kilometers, while the number of fibres emitted reaches over billions. According to Minth's Sacred Eyes ability, her main trait is self-loathing, her thoughts are void, and she wishes for love.
- Mattalast Ballory (マットアラスト＝バロリー Mattoarasuto Barorī )
- Voiced by: Toru Ohkawa (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- First grade Armed Librarian, and one of the five strongest Armed Librarians. He usually wears a black tuxedo and bowler hat. He is an easy-going person and always known by people as a liar. He used to have a relationship with Hamyuts. His main weapons are guns. He bears a revolver and an anti-tank rifle. His magic ability is to see 2 seconds ahead in the future, which he can use to preemptively take action in the presence of the enemy. He is one of the few who knows the secret of Heaven and also protects it.
- Mirepoc Finedel (ミレポック＝ファインデル Mirepokku Fainderu )
- Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro (Japanese), Shannon Emerick (English)
- Third grade Armed Librarian and is the instructor of Noloty. She was once a reserve officer of The Empire and was introduced by Hamyuts Meseta to join the Armed Librarians. She usually wears her uniform and is a strict person. Her main weapons are a sword and pistol. Due to her lack of combat proficiency she usually takes on a support role. Her magic ability is Telepathy; regardless of how far away a person is located, she can engage in telepathic communication with them-- as long as she knows their name and appearance. She is in love with Volken.
- Volken Macmani (ヴォルケン＝マクマーニ Voruken Makumāni )
- Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura (Japanese), Greg Ayres (English)
- A young Armed Librarian. He has green hair and usually wears standard Armed Librarian robes. His sense of justice is unrivaled. His weapons are flying razor-sharp disks that he can control at will. His ability is to use illusions to create multiple copies of himself. Because of his strong sense of justice, he begins to doubt Hamyuts' actions.
- Noloty Malche (ノロティ＝マルチェ Noroti Maruche )
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu (Japanese), Cynthia Martinez (English)
- A trainee Armed Librarian. She is an expert in hand-to-hand combat. She is a joyful, outgoing person who doesn't like to kill people. She was born on an island near The Empire and raised by her father, who was the head of the village. After her father died, she was thrown out of the village, and eventually became an Armed Librarian.
- Ruruta Coozancoona (ルルタ＝クーザンクーナ Ruruta Kūzankūna )
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Chris Patton (English)
- The Director and founder of the Bantorra Library. His ability is "Tearless Ending", which causes snow to fall across the entire planet, putting humanity into an eternal slumber. Like Zatoh Rondohoon, he is a Book Eater, but his resolve allowed him to consume significantly more books (100,000).
- Mokkania Fluru (モッカニア＝フルール Mokkania Furūru )
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese), David Matranga (English)
- One of the strongest Armed Librarians, along with Hamyuts Meseta. He is a lonely man who is so strong that he fears his own power. During a war between the Bantorra Library and The Empire, he felt guilty after killing so many people, therefore he locked himself deep in the labyrinth beneath Bantorra Library. His magic ability is to control armies of flesh-consuming ants.
- Ireia Kitty (イレイア＝キティ Ireia Kiti )
- Voiced by: Akiko Takeguchi (Japanese), Marcy Bannor (English)
- The oldest Armed Librarian, and one of the five strongest, her job is to instruct trainee Armed Librarians. Her kind and friendly personality has earned the trust and love of most of the Armed Librarians. She mainly fights hand-to-hand. She has tremendous strength, which she uses to lift large and heavy objects easily. Her magic ability is localized time control. Objects must be within her line of sight for it to be affected by her magic. She can also stop time for herself, making her invincible though while in this state she cannot move.
- Chacoly Cocotte (チャコリー＝ココット Chakorī Kokotto )
- Voiced by: Ai Nonaka (Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (English)
- A childhood friend of Hamyuts. She is also known as "The Violet Sinner". Her ability is "Soul Transference", an ability that is similar to Mirepoc's telepathy but of higher level, as it can control the minds of people by injecting part of her soul.
- Fhotona (フォトナ＝バードギャモン Fotona Bādogyamon )
- Voiced by: Tooru Furusawa (Japanese), Illich Guardiola (English)
- The previous Acting Director who served directly before Hamyuts. He was a mentor to Volken. As Hamyuts rises through the ranks of the Armed Librarians, he orders Mattalast to murder her while the two of them are on a mission to kill Hiza the traitor. He fears she will become too powerful, far surpassing everyone in the library.
- Makia (マキア＝デキシアート Makia Dekishiāto )
- Voiced by: Masaki Terasoma (Japanese), John Gremillion (English)
- The Acting Director of Bantorra Library who served three terms before Hamyuts Meseta. After being asked by "Heaven" (Ruruta Coozancoona) to find a way to kill him, Makia created Chacoly and Hamyuts for that purpose. He seemed very emotionally troubled by his own actions afterward, and died as an old man doing harsh physical labor to punish himself.
- Enlike Bishile
- Voiced by: Hirofumi Nojima (Japanese), Josh Grelle (English) (Original Body)
- Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (Japanese), Andrew Love (English) (Zatoh's Body)
- The original Enlike Bishile was a young meat who was led into the false belief that killing others would make him happy, on a transport ship, he catches the attention of Ganbanzel and is chosen when he learns that he has a strong desire to smile once. Zatoh Rondohoon is a Book Eater, who absorbed Enlike's book. Unlike many others, Enlike's soul managed to take control of Zatoh's body for an extended period and used this as a chance to emerge and put an end to Zatoh's control of the body.
- Kachua, Governor of Paradise (カチュア＝ビーインハス Kachua Bīinhasu )
- The current leader of the Church of Drowning in God's Grace. His magic ability is to bend light and he uses this to hide his face. It is revealed by Hamyuts that the Governor of Paradise is chosen from among the ranks of the Armed Librarians and that the Church and the Armed Librarians act that they fight each other, but in truth they are working alongside each other in protecting a secret. This secret is passed from Acting Director to Acting Director. Both Hamyuts and Kachua must protect this secret of Heaven.
- Colio Tonies (コリオ＝トニス Korio Tonisu )
- Voiced by: Miyu Irino (Japanese), Clint Bickham (English)
- Doesn't consider himself human, being one of the so called "meats" who's been implanted with a bomb and sent out by the Church to kill Hamyuts Meseta. His story focuses on the collection of various fragments of a book depicting the tragic tale of a young woman named Shiron Byacornise, possessing the ability to see the future, and the love story enfolding between them, crossing even the boundaries of time.
War Machines of the Past
- The ever-laughing demon sword used by Shiron Byacornise (thus her title, Ever-Laughing Witch) that can counter any attacks. It does seem to have its own consciousness to the point it would relentlessly attack a target of its own choosing even without the command of its wielder.
- The fantasy-slaughtering cup that has the power to selectively erase the drinker's memories.
- Also referred to as the Dancing Fairy, reflecting its appearance. Yluculucu is used as a container for magic rights, which are stored when people undergo Magical Deliberation within its vicinity. Depending on its user, it can be the weakest or the strongest war machine.
- Also known as the Stone Sword of Spent Time, this sword has the power to remove and gather books from those who have died. Yor's physical manifestation is known as Lascall Othello, which initially appears to be an old gentleman, but later takes on the form of a young girl.
- The god of the Past, or the patron deity of the Armed Library. He created the library and the monsters that guard its lower labyrinths.
- The god of the Present, no known patronages.
- The god of the Future.
|1||February 19, 2009||ISBN 978-4-08-877589-0|
|2||July 17, 2009||ISBN 978-4-08-877692-7|
|3||November 19, 2009||ISBN 978-4-08-877768-9|
|01||"Bombs, Books. and a Sinking Ship"
|When 'Armed Librarians' launch an attack against a 'Church of Shindeki' ship they are attacked by 'Human Bombs'. After boarding the ship and fighting off the guards (the Mock Men), the Librarians find dozens of 'Meats' in the hold but are unable to save them all before the ship itself explodes. One of the few survivors is the Human Bomb, Colio Tonies whose only thoughts are of killing the Acting-Director of the Armed Librarians, Hamyutz Meseta.|
|02||"Bombs, a Princess, and a Gray Town"
|Colio and his companions find themselves at the Toatt Mine region still searching for Hamyutz. However it isn't long before Luimon, a local Armed Librarian discovers that they are human bombs. In the ensuing confusion one of the bombs detonates killing Luimon and this in turn prompts Hamyutz herself to head to the Toatt Mine to search for those responsible.|
|03||"Bombs, Humans, and the God of Death's Disease"
|Colio is given another piece of the book of the Ever-Laughing Witch and he learns more about her past. He also comes face to face with the women he is supposed to kill but things do not go as he thought they would.|
|04||"The Setting Sun, Shiron, and Colio"
|Hamyutz and Cigal finally face each other in battle but with Cigal wielding Shlamuffen it doesn't seem like the Acting-Director has much hope of winning. Meanwhile, after learning more about Shiron's past, Colio decides that he too must fight.|
|05||"A Betrayal, a Cup, and a Meandering Path"
|Following the theft of Yluculucu and Volken's apparent betrayal everyone at Bantorra begins to question his motives and his character. Mirepoch has been particularly affected by her friend's actions and seeks solace in the books of the lower libraries. Meanwhile, Noloty is dispatched to recover Luimon's book which has gone missing from the Toatt Mine.|
|06||"Thunder, a Monster, and a Girl's Punch"
|A man who refers to himself a monster arrives at the Library and demands to see Hamyutz. He is immediately confronted by Mattalast, Minth and Mirepoch who manage to force him to retreat despite his numerous magical abilities. Meanwhile, Noloty is still investigating the theft of Luimon's book.|
|07||"A Smile, a Mask, and a Man with a Death Wish"
|Noloty confronts Zatoh about his theft of Luimon's book and his suicidal tendencies. Zatoh tells her that she can have the book only if she can kill him. Meanwhile, Mirepoch learns that Zatoh maybe the monster who attacked the Library and dispatches Mince to investigate.|
|08||"A Pond, Comrades, and a Seashell"
|Noloty learns that Zatoh is a 'book eater', a monster who can devour books gaining the knowledge and power of the person concerned. When Zatoh consumes Luimon's book Noloty becomes so angry that she becomes serious about fighting for the first time. Meanwhile, somewhere inside of Zatoh's soul all of the books he has consumed begin to rebel against him.|
|09||"A True Man, a Battlefield and my World"
|With Enlike now in control of Zatoh's body he returns to Bantorra with Noloty to try and atone for his sins. Unfortunately, despite Noloty's affection for him many of the other librarians do not trust Enlike and things are only made worse by Ganbanzel's incessant hounding of his former protégé.|
|10||"An Eccentric, a Mother, and the Black Ant's Nest"
|The Library comes under attack and it appears that an Armed Librarian is responsible, Mokkania Fluru. With Hamyutz trapped in the Labyrinth with the traitor the other Librarians regroup and prepare a counter-attack. However, it soon emerges that Mokkania is being manipulated into attacking the Acting-Director by the Church of Shindeki and that they must find a way to break their hold over him before it is too late.|
|11||"A Weakling, the Labyrinth and Moving the Queen"
|With Hamyutz now in possession of Shlamuffen she decides that it is time to confront the treacherous Mokkania. Meanwhile, the reason for Mokkania's sudden attempt to kill Hamyutz becomes clear and it is not what any of the Armed Librarian's originally believed.|
|12||"The Past, Irrationality, and Pipe's Smoke"
|Mattalast reminisces about the first time he met Hamyutz and how they went from trying to kill each other to becoming lovers. He also remembers their mission together to capture the traitor Hiza, when he was order to eliminate Hamyutz by the then Acting- Director, Fhotona.|
|13||"A Day Off, a Picture Book, and Rusty Hair"
|Mirepoch uses her day off to investigate an eight year old murder that may be related to Lasquall Othello. However, there is also someone else who is interested in the mysterious Lasquall and she is prepared to kill in order to find her man. When the two come face to face it is only thanks to Mattalast's timely intervention that Mirepoch survives.|
|14||"The Setting Sun, a Storyteller, and a Collection of Fables"
|Shiron, the Ever-Laughing Witch tells the story of how the world was created by the Overseer and the Library was founded. She then recounts the various events that have occurred up until now; Colio's defeat of Cigal, Volken's betrayal, Zatoh's redemption by Noloty, Mokkania's death and Mirepoch's hunt for the truth about Lasquall Othello.|
|15||"A Girl, a Girl, and the Bed of God"
|Mirepoch continues to search for answers about Lasquall but her red-haired rival appears to be one step ahead of her. However, when she does finally get up to speed she realises that the only way to kill Lasquall is to work together with Alme.|
|16||"A Banned Book, a Coward, and the Sacred Eyes"
|Minth is assigned to retrieve illegal snuff books with the help of Yuri and Yukizona. However, Minth soon runs into an old friend from his criminal days, Griehn and is reminded of the last time he got involved with snuff books. He then begins to realise that Griehn has more to do with his mission than he first thought, forcing Mince to choose between his duty and his friend.|
|17||"A Return Home, an Encounter, and Burning Bridges"
|Volken finally returns to Bantorra after his apparent defection and attempts to prove his innocence. However, his return causes Mirepoch to question her decision to drink the water of Argax as her feelings for her former friend begin to return. Meanwhile, Enlike tries to help Renas make sense of her re-emerging memories.|
|18||"A Propeller, Recollection, and the Lead Human"
|Volken and Renas (now calling herself Olivia Litlet) defeat Volekn's former instructor, Vizac in order to escape to the Kra District. However, Hamyutz continues to pursue the traitors in order to destroy the secret of Vend Ruga once and for all. Meanwhile, the Armed Librarians learn that Vizac is dead and they all blame Volken for their comrade's murder, all except Mirepoch.|
|19||"A Fool, Empty Space, and a Dancing Puppet"
|The Acting-Director has finally caught up with Volken and Olivia at the Duria Mine. As Olivia attempts to overcome an army of Human Bombs in order to locate Ylucklucu, Volken finally faces off against Hamutz. Although Volken is not strong enough or ruthless enough to defeat Hamyutz he succeeds in slowing her down but in process he is killed by Hamyutz. Olivia regains not only Ylucklucu, but also her memories as well.|
|20||"Funeral Bells, a Book, and a Boy with a Death Wish"
|Following the Meat's revolt against the Church of Shindeki, the Ismo Republic suddenly declares war on the Library of Bantorra and Hamyutz suspects that the severely weakened Church is somehow involved. Meanwhile, Enlike is delivered a book by Lasquall and when he starts reading it he is shocked to learn that it is Noloty's. He is even more shocked when he learns the circumstances of her death.|
|21||"Enmity, the Color Blue, and the Rope Princess"
|With Bantorra surrounded by the forces of the Guinbecs-Ismo alliance Hamyutz decides it is time she joined the fight, leaving Mirepoch in charge of the Library. Mirepoch and Minth then make a startling discovery about the reason for this sudden war. Meanwhile, Enlike continues to read Noloty's book in order to discover her final wish.|
|22||"The Sky, an Ending, and a Girl`s World"
|The Armed Librarians learn that the Cerulean Death is responsible for the sudden outbreak of hostilities, but this knowledge does them little good. As such Hamyutz prepares to lead the remaining Armed Librarians in a last-ditch offensive against the growing enemy forces that have surrounded the Library. Meanwhile, Enlike finally finishes Noloty's book and is able to fulfil her final wish.|
|23||"A Jailbreak, a Tool and the Violet Desert"
|It has been more than two months since the end of the Cerulean Death War and things are very different in Bantorra. Minth has been promoted to the new Governor of Paradise and has begun the task of recruiting new True Men. Meanwhile, the Armed Librarians have had enough of Hamyutz's secrets and have decided to rebel against her. However, before they can put her on trial she escapes in order to carry out one final task.|
|24||"Truth, Love, and the Second Sealed Library"
|Having been reunited with Chacoly after all this time the first thing Hamyutz does is kill her. She then decides to read Chacoly's book and see what happened after the two of them parted ways. Meanwhile, with everyone out searching for the Acting-Director, Enlike is able to sneak into the Library where he comes face to face with the Director of the Bantorra Library, Ruruta Coozancoona.|
|25||"A Story of Silence, Inactivity and Despair"
|Long ago as the God Orntorra prepares to send seven Angels armed with seven deadly 'War Machines' to destroy the world, one man prepares to save it, Ruruta Coozancoona. After consuming the magic rites of more than a thousand books Ruruta is able to defeat the 'Beasts of the Final Chapter' but is forced to kill his lover Niiniu, in the process. As such he creates the Armed Librarians and the Church of Shindeki in order to fulfil Niiniu's wishes and make her happy.|
|26||"Redemption, Perplexity and the Book Within a Book"
|Inside Ruruta's 'Nonentity Entrails' a seemingly unstoppable Hamyutz wages war on Ruruta. Although at first she has the upper hand, things quickly change when Ruruta transfers all of his power to Niiniu and the Acting-Director must face the 'Soul of Destruction' herself. It is then up to an unlikely old friend to help her to turn the tide of battle back in her favour, Colio Tonies.|
|27||"The Might of the World"
"Sekai no Chikara" (世界の力)
|Hamutz uses her ability to summon the various Armed Librarians who have been killed in battle and together they struggle to defeat Niiniu and defend the world. Meanwhile, Ruruta calls on Mirepoch to revive those Armed Librarians still in the living world and protect the innocent population from the Beasts of the Final Chapter.|
The composer for the series is Yoshihisa Hirano.
- "Datengoku Sensen" (堕天國宣戦) by Ali Project (Episodes 1-16).
- "Seisai no Ripeno" (星彩のRipieno) by Sasaki Sayaka (Episodes 17-27).
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses The Book of Bantora". Anime News Network. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "戦う司書と恋する爆弾 1" [Tatakau Shisho to Koisuru Bakudan 1] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "戦う司書と恋する爆弾 2" [Tatakau Shisho to Koisuru Bakudan 2] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "戦う司書と恋する爆弾 3" [Tatakau Shisho to Koisuru Bakudan 3] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved August 15, 2011.