Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea
|Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea|
Promotional poster of the Nagi no Asukara anime featuring main characters.
(Nagi no Asukara)
|Genre||Drama, Fantasy, Romance|
|Illustrated by||Risō Maeda|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Original run||June 2013 – April 2014|
|Nagi no Asukara 4-koma Gekijō: Nagiyon|
|Illustrated by||Anko Chatō|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Magazine||Dengeki Daioh g|
|Original run||September 27, 2013 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Toshiya Shinohara|
|Written by||Mari Okada|
|Network||Animax, Tokyo MX, SUN, KBS, TVA, FTB, BBT, ITC|
|Original run||October 3, 2013 – April 3, 2014|
Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, known in Japan as Nagi no Asukara (凪のあすから?, lit. From The Calm Tomorrow), is a 2013 Japanese anime television series produced by P.A. Works. The series centers on five middle school friends: the indecisive crybaby Manaka Mukaido; Hikari Sakishima, Chisaki Hiradaira, Kaname Isaki, who have looked after Manaka since they were children; and Tsumugu Kihara, their new friend from the surface. A manga adaptation by Risō Maeda began serialization in the June 2013 issue of ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Daioh magazine.
Since long ago, human civilization had lived on the ocean floor. However, there were many humans who wanted to live above the surface and they moved to land creating a fundamental separation between the two. After their school closes down, four 14-year old middle school students from the sea village, Shioshishio, have to attend Mihama Middle School on the surface. What follows is their struggles to adjust to a new environment and the relationships between the sea and land people, while dealing with their own newfound feelings that have just started appearing with the end of their childhood.
- Hikari Sakishima (先島 光 Sakishima Hikari?)
- Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae, Megumi Han (young)
- One of four childhood friends from Shioshishio. He has a short temper and usually scolds Manaka for her mistakes though he has deep feelings for her. He is the son of Shioshishio's Chief Priest who serves the Sea God. At first, he hates all people from the surface but after learning about the relationships between the land and sea humans (through Akari and Itaru), he gradually understands that there is no difference between the people from the surface and the sea. He goes into hibernation shortly after saving Akari during the Ofunehiki festival. After the 5-year time skip, Hikari reappears during a Tomoebi without any signs of aging. He rejoins Mihama Middle School as Miuna and Sayu's classmate and lives in the Shiodome home with his sister.
- Manaka Mukaido (向井戸 まなか Mukaido Manaka?)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- One of the students from Shioshishio. She is an indecisive, middle schooler who is prone to cry. Manaka is shown to have feelings for Tsumugu. She is highly dependent on Hikari and Chisaki. As time passes, she starts to become more independent. After saving Akari during the Ofunehiki festival and falling into the sea, she enters hibernation and takes on the role of the sacrificial maiden for the Sea God. After the time skip, she is found in the middle of the graveyard of Wooden Maidens near Shioshishio and brought to the surface while losing her Ena. She wakes up one week later and is stays with the Shiodome family. She has also lost the ability to fall in love as a result of leaving her post as the sacrificial maiden. Later, it is revealed that she has been in love with Hikari all along but decided to keep it a secret as she knew about Chisaki's feelings for him.
- Chisaki Hiradaira (比良平 ちさき Hiradaira Chisaki?)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- One of the students from Shioshishio. She has feelings for Hikari but is afraid to admit it after realizing he is in love with Manaka. She is afraid it will ruin their relationships and hides her feelings. Chisaki is the only person among her Shioshishio friends who avoids hibernation after the Ofunehiki festival. Since the Ofunehiki festival, she has been staying with the Kihara family and also studying in a nursing school. When she reunites with her Shioshishio friends, she feels left out as she is now much older than them. Chisaki fears change, and feels guilty for having lived a relatively happy life during the time skip despite the absence of her friends. She has been clinging to her old feelings for Hikari as a means of claiming she hasn't changed over the past five years, but she is really in love with Tsumugu.
- Kaname Isaki (伊佐木 要 Isaki Kaname?)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- One of four childhood friends from Shioshishio. He is Hikari's best friend and is quiet and mature for his age. He is interested in Chisaki and cares deeply for her. During the Ofunehiki festival, he goes into hibernation after falling off the boat while helping Chisaki save Tsumugu. After the time skip, similarly with Hikari, Kaname wakes up without having aged and is staying at the Kihara family's home. While being the mature of the group, Kaname has always felt left out. He realizes that when Chisaki's feelings for Hikari are not requited, it is Tsumugu who she will turn to, not him. When Sayu confesses her feelings for him, he decides to move on with his life and accepts her feelings.
- Tsumugu Kihara (木原 紡 Kihara Tsumugu?)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa
- A boy from the surface whose grandfather is a fisherman. One day, he meets Manaka when she is caught in his net. He is quiet, stoic, and very interested in the underwater world. His grandfather was from the sea. Tsumugu has a complicated relationship with his mother. After the time skip, he attends college and majors in oceanography. He lives in the city and conducts research about the sea villages at his university. He becomes close to Chisaki and eventually falls in love with her. After accidentally claiming his love for Chisaki, he follows her into the sea and gains Ena. It is later revealed that he had known of Manaka's feelings for Hikari since the eve of the Ofunehiki five years previously, but agreed to keep it a secret at Manaka's request.
- Miuna Shiodome (潮留 美海 Shiodome Miuna?)
- Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu
- A third grade elementary school girl who is Itaru's daughter. Miuna met Akari when she visited them shortly after she was born. She loves Akari but the thought of losing her like she did her mother caused her to refuse to accept Akari as family. Later on, she overcomes her fear and fully accepts Akari as her new mother. She has a crush on Hikari. During the five year period of the time skip, Miuna could usually be found staring out at the ocean waiting for Hikari to return. After the time skip, she enters middle school with Sayu. Herer feelings for Hikari have only grown stronger, even to the point of rejecting one of her other classmates who has liked her since elementary school. When Miuna falls into the sea by accident, she develops Ena on her skin which allows her to breathe underwater like her mother.
- Sayu Hisanuma (久沼 さゆ Hisanuma Sayu?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Ishihara
- A third grade elementary school girl with light brown pigtails and hazel eyes. She is Miuna's best friend and has a crush on Kaname. After the time skip, she enters middle school with Miuna and decides to study hard to become an independent woman, but her crush on Kaname also grows stronger and she tries her best to overcome it. She eventually makes Kaname see her as not a little kid but as a girl his age.
- Tomoru Sakishima (先島 灯 Sakishima Tomoru?)
- Voiced by: Masuo Amada
- Hikari's and Akari's father who is the Chief Priest of Shioshishio. He cares for his children and wants them to make their own decisions.
- Uroko-sama (うろこ様 Uroko-sama?)
- Voiced by: Kousuke Toriumi
- A scale and messenger of the Sea God. He ensures everyone follows the laws of the village. He is perverted and enjoys drinking sake.
- Akari Shiodome (潮留 あかり Shiodome Akari?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
- Hikari's older sister who married Itaru, Miuna's father. She was a friend of Miori and grew to love their family. When Miori died, she wanted to be there to support them. After the timeskip, she has a 5 year old son named Akira.
- Itaru Shiodome (潮留 至 Shiodome Itaru?)
- Voiced by: Junji Majima
- Miuna's father. His first wife, Miori was from the sea. After a few years of recovering from Miori's death, he slowly begins a relationship with Akari and eventually marries her.
- Akira Shiodome (潮留 晃 Shiodome Akira?)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Ishigami
- Akari and Itaru's son. He is Hikari's nephew who was born during the hibernation of Shioshishio. He is mischievous and only listens to his sister, Miuna. He falls "in love" with Manaka. In the epilogue, like his sister, he also develops Ena on his skin.
- Miori Shiodome (潮留 みをり Shiodome Miori?)
- Voiced by: Aya Endō
- Miuna's deceased mother and Akari's close friend. She was from Shioshishio but moved to the surface to marry Itaru.
Tsumugu's middle school classmates
- Takeshi Egawa (江川 岳 Egawa Takeshi?)
- Voiced by: Kengo Kawanishi
- A classmate who helped them built the statue for Ofunehiki. After the timeskip, he ends up getting a girl pregnant and decides to quit college and work at her father's company.
- Shun Sayama (狭山 旬 Sayama Shun?)
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- A classmate who helped them built the statue for Ofunehiki. After the timeskip, he is working as the young master of Saya Mart. He loves playing pachinko.
- Kaori Akiyoshi (秋吉 香 Akiyoshi Kaori?)
- Voiced by: Yurika Kubo
- One of the classmates who helped built the statue for Ofunehiki. She loves to grope Chisaki.
- Yū Seiki (清木 憂 Seiki Yū?)
- Voiced by: Ikumi Hayama
- One of the classmates who helped them build the statue for Ofunehiki. She seems to have an interest in Kaname.
- Atsushi Minegishi (峰岸 淳 Minegishi Atsushi?)
- Voiced by: Ayumu Murase
- Miuna's classmate who confessed to her and was rejected.
- Isamu Kihara (木原 勇 Kihara Isamu?)
- Voiced by: Motomu Kiyokawa
- A former resident of Shioshishio and Tsumugu's grandfather who is also a fisherman. He accepts Chisaki into his household after the disaster that occurred during the Ofunehiki. After the time skip, he is shown recuperating in a hospital after his health deteriorated and is released from the hospital on the day of the Ofunehiki.
- Satoru Mihashi (三橋 悟 Mihashi Satoru?)
- Voiced by: Shinji Kawada
- Tsumugu's research professor in university.
A manga adaptation, written by Project-118 and illustrated by Risō Maeda, began serialization in the June 2013 issue of ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Daioh magazine. The series has been collected in two tankōbon volumes, released on September 27, 2013, and February 27, 2014. A second, four-panel comic strip manga titled Nagi no Asukara 4-koma Gekijō: Nagiyon (『凪のあすから』4コマ劇場 なぎよん?), written by Project-118 and illustrated by Anko Chatō, began serialization on September 27, 2013 in ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Daioh g magazine. It has been collected in one tankōbon volume, released on January 27, 2014.
The anime series is produced by P.A. Works and directed by Toshiya Shinohara. The screenplay is written by Mari Okada and the original character designs are by Buriki. It started airing on October 3, 2013. For episodes 1 to 13, the opening theme is "lull ~Soshite Bokura wa~" (lull〜そして僕らは〜?) by Ray and the ending theme is "Aqua Terrarium" (アクアテラリウム Akua Terariumu?) by Nagi Yanagi. For episode 14 to 25, the opening and ending themes are "Ebb and Flow" by Ray and "Mitsuba no Musubime" (三つ葉の結びめ?) by Nagi Yanagi respectively. The 26th and final episode has 2 insert songs: "lull ~Earth color of a calm~" and "mnemonic", sung by Ray and Nagi Yanagi respectively. NIS America acquired the home video and streaming rights to the anime.
- 凪のあすから 1 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "凪のあすから (2) (電撃コミックスNEXT)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "4コマ公式アンソロジー 凪のあすから (電撃コミックスEX)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Kana Hanazawa Leads P.A. Works' Nagi no Asu Kara Cast". Anime News Network. 2012-09-26. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "アニメ『凪のあすから』のOPテーマにRayさん、EDテーマにやなぎなぎさんが決定!". Animate. August 27, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "NIS America Licenses P.A. Works' Nagi no Asukara Anime". Anime News Network. December 13, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.