Telopea, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Waratah Shopping Centre
|Location||23 km (14 mi) north-west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Parramatta|
Telopea // is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Telopea is located 23 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Parramatta.
Telopea railway station is on the Carlingford Line of the Sydney Trains network. The suburb is bordered by Kissing Point Road to the south and Pennant Hills Road to the north. The area is serviced by Sydney Buses route 545 
Waratah Shopping Centre, located on Benaud Place, has many retail shops including an IGA supermarket, newsagent, chemist, kebab shop, and a hair and beauty salon. A small group of shops is also located opposite the railway station on Adderton Road.
Telopea is mainly low to low-medium density housing with most of the dwellings having been built after the Second World War. The suburb is bisected by the Carlingford railway line with most of the medium density housing lying adjacent to the train line.
Telopea contains a large tract of bushland on its western edge, backing onto the Oatlands golf course. The bushland, the Vineyard Creek Reserve as it is known contains a spring-fed creek and has several waterfalls on its course before it disappears beneath Kissing Point road to the south. The creek and the bushland are protected as environmental areas.
Places of Worship
- The local Anglican Church meets in Telopea on Saturday evenings and at Dundas on Sundays.
- Telopea Christian Centre is another local Church.
- The age distribution was quite similar to the country in general. The median age was 38 years, almost identical to the national median of 37. Children aged 0-14 years made up 16.4% of the population (national average is 19.3%) and people aged 65 years and over made up only 14.7% of the population (national average is 14.0%).
- About half (51.5%) were born in Australia; the next most common countries of birth were China 11.2%, Korea 5.4%, Hong Kong 2.8%, England 1.8% and New Zealand 1.7%. Only 49.5% of people spoke English at home; other languages spoken at home included Mandarin 10.3%, Cantonese 9.3%, Korean 6.8%, Arabic 3.8% and Persian 1.2%.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Telopea(NSW)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- http://www.sydneybuses.info/ - Sydney Buses website
- "Dundas Telopea Anglican Church".
- "Telopea Christian Centre".
- http://www.telopea-p.schoolwebsites.com.au/ - Telopea public primary school
- http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/play/facilities/library/opening_hours__and__locations - Telopea library opening hours
- http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/education/community_greening/contacts - community garden contact details
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Telopea, New South Wales.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|