The Aerosol Grey Machine
|The Aerosol Grey Machine|
|Studio album by Van der Graaf Generator|
31 July-1 August 1969 at Marquee and Trident Studios, London
|Genre||Progressive rock, psychedelic rock|
|Length||46:58 (Original release)
53:50 (CD release)
|Label||Mercury Records (USA)
Fontana Records (Germany)
Vertigo Records (1974 Italian release)
Repertoire Records (German CD reissue)
|Van der Graaf Generator chronology|
The album was originally intended as a solo album by the band's lead singer and main songwriter, Peter Hammill. When the band signed with Charisma Records, a deal was worked out whereby The Aerosol Grey Machine would be released under the Van der Graaf Generator name, in return for Mercury Records releasing Hammill from his earlier contract with it.
All tracks composed by Peter Hammill; except where indicated.
- "Afterwards" – 4:55
- "Orthenthian St., Pts. 1 & 2" – 6:18
- "Running Back" – 6:35
- "Into a Game" (Peter Hammill, Hugh Banton, Keith Ellis, Guy Evans) - 6:57
- "Aerosol Grey Machine" – 0:47
- "Black Smoke Yen" (Hugh Banton, Keith Ellis, Guy Evans) – 1:26
- "Aquarian" – 8:22
- "Necromancer" – 3:38
- "Octopus" – 8:00
These additional tracks (comprising the two sides of the band's first single) were included on a CD version of the album released in 1997 by the German company Repertoire Records:
- "People You Were Going To" – 2:44
- "Firebrand" – 4:08
These additional tracks were included on the CD release of the album from Peter Hammill's own UK record label, FIE! Records, also in 1997:
- "Giant Squid" (Peter Hammill, Hugh Banton, Keith Ellis, Guy Evans) - 3:20
- "Ferret And Featherbird" - 4:34
- Peter Hammill – lead vocals, acoustic guitar
- Hugh Banton – piano, organ, percussion, backing vocals
- Keith Ellis – bass
- Guy Evans – drums, percussion
- Chris Judge Smith – slide-saxophone and harmony vocals on "People You Were Going To", lead vocals (chorus) on "Firebrand"
- Additional personnel
- Jeff Peach – flute
- McDonald, Steven (2011). "The Aerosol Grey Machine - Van der Graaf Generator | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Christopulos, J., and Smart, P.: "Van der Graaf Generator - The Book", page 59. Phil and Jim publishers, 2005. ISBN 0-9551337-0-X
- McDonald, Steven. "The Aerosol Grey Machine - Van der Graaf Generator : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-04-23.