The Evil That Men Do (film)
|The Evil That Men Do|
|Directed by||J. Lee Thompson|
|Produced by||Pancho Kohner|
|Written by||John Crowther
David Lee Henry
|Based on||The Evil That Men Do
by R. Lance Hill
|Music by||Ken Thorne|
|Cinematography||Javier Ruvalcaba Cruz|
|Editing by||Enrique Estevez|
|Distributed by||Tri-Star Pictures|
|Running time||90 minutes|
The Evil That Men Do is a 1984 Mexican-American action thriller film directed by J. Lee Thompson that stars Charles Bronson. The film was adapted by David Lee Henry and John Crowther from a novel by R. Lance Hill. Bronson plays an assassin who comes out of retirement to seek vengeance on the torture and murder of a journalist friend.
Holland is a former CIA assassin who lives quietly and peacefully on a West Indies island. He is persuaded out of retirement by the death of Jorge Hidalgo, a friend and dissident journalist. Hidalgo was murdered by Clement Molloch, a Welsh doctor who lives in Guatemala. Molloch has made a science of the practice of torture and sells his knowledge and skills to any government that can pay his price.
Holland is hired by Hector Lomelin, a professor and friend of Hidalgo. He poses as a family man and is accompanied to Guatemala by Hidalgo's widow Rhiana and daughter Sarah.
- Charles Bronson as Holland
- Theresa Saldana as Rhiana
- Joseph Maher as Clement Molloch
- José Ferrer as Hector Lomelin
- Constanza Hool as Isabel Lomelin
- Amanda Nicole Thomas as Sarah
- Jorge Humberto Robles as Jorge Hidalgo
Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregator, reports that 40% of five surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating was 4.8/10. Janet Maslin of The New York Times wrote that audiences want to see Bronson kill people, and the film delivers many audience-pleasing kills. Time Out London called it "a clumsy catalogue of pain and death". Fred Lutz of the Toledo Blade identified the film as a comeback for Bronson. Dan Lorentz of the Milwaukee Sentinel wrote that the film is violent and exploitative, but it will probably satisfy fans of Bronson.
- "The Evil that Men Do". British Film Institute. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- "The Evil That Men Do". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "The Evil That Men Do (1984)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Maslin, Janet (1984-09-22). "The Evil That Men Do (1984)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "The Evil That Men Do". Time Out London. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Lutz, Fred (1984-09-21). "Bronson More Likeable, Credible In 'Evil' Film". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Lorentz, Dan (1984-09-28). "'Evil' for Bronson Fans Only". Milwaukee Sentinel. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- The Evil That Men Do at the Internet Movie Database
- The Evil That Men Do at AllMovie
- The Evil That Men Do at Rotten Tomatoes