||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Origin||Encino, Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Technical death metal, progressive metal,
deathcore (first album) 
|Past members||Michael Keene
The Faceless is an American technical death metal band from the Encino neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. They released their debut album, Akeldama in November 2006, and a follow-up, Planetary Duality, in November 2008. The band's third album, Autotheism, was released on August 14, 2012.
The band was formed in Encino by guitarist Michael Keene and bassist Brandon Giffin in 2003. In the winter of 2005, the band began work on a four-song extended-play album which would become Akeldama. After recording the drum tracks, drummer Brett Batdorf left the band. After a break in the recording process, the band decided to make the EP into a full–length record and recruited several drummers to finish the drum tracks for the remaining songs.
Following the release of Akeldama, the band toured extensively with bands including Necrophagist, Decapitated, Nile, and The Black Dahlia Murder. The band went through several fill-in drummers before adding drummer Lyle Cooper to their line-up.
Soon after its release, they toured with bands including Meshuggah, Lamb of God and In Flames. Prior to their performance at California Metalfest IV, Giffin announced that he would no longer be in the band. The band also announced that they would be playing in The Summer Slaughter Tour of 2010 along with bands including Decapitated, All Shall Perish, and Decrepit Birth.
In May 2011, Keene confirmed via Facebook that Geoffrey Ficco would be replacing Derek Rydquist as the band’s vocalist. Ficco performed the lead vocals on “The Eidolon Reality” pre-production preview track released on YouTube. In April 2011, the band was joined by bassist Evan Brewer of Animosity, replacing Giffin.
In March 2012, guitarist Steve Jones left the band and was replaced by Wes Hauch, leaving Keene as the last founding member still in the band. Keene stated that “he’s moved in a different direction than us and we wish him good luck in his ventures.” Keene has also stated[when?] that the addition of Hauch gave the band some fresh energy, praising Hauch to be “one of the best guitar players I’ve ever had the privilege of playing with, he’s really amazing.”
In January 2013, Cooper left the band, and posted on his Facebook module regarding his departure—reasons being that the band’s goals and interests were not his own. Alex Rudinger, formerly of The HAARP Machine, a labelmate of The Faceless, became the band’s new full-time drummer.
On February 14, 2014, Wes Hauch announced he was leaving the band.
On October 20, 2014, both Evan Brewer and Alex Rudinger announced on their personal Facebook pages that they were leaving the band to pursue other projects. On December 4, 2014, vocalist Geoffrey Ficco announced his departure from the band, leaving Keene as the sole member of the band.
- Akeldama (Sumerian Records, 2006)
- Planetary Duality (Sumerian Records, 2008)
- Autotheism (Sumerian Records, 2012)
- Demo albums
- Nightmare Fest (2006)
- List of bands from Los Angeles
- List of progressive metal bands
- List of Sumerian Records artists
- List of technical death metal bands
- Music of Los Angeles
- Kapper, Andrew (undated; circa August 2012). "The Faceless – Autotheism Review". Heavy Metal module of About.com. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- Staff (November 17, 2006). All Shall Perish, Arsis, and The Faceless Metal Maniacs Tour Show Review. Metal Injection. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- Staff (undated). "The Faceless: ‘Planetary Duality’ First-Week Sales Revealed – Nov. 19, 2008". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved February 1, 2013. Check date values in:
- Staff (May 14, 2010). "The Faceless Bass Player Quits Group". Lambgoat. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- Staff (May 20, 2010). "[untitled]". The Faceless (via their Facebook module). Retrieved February 1, 2013.
“So, as some of you may have heard, Derek is no longer in The Faceless. We wish him the best of luck and will always value the time he spent in our band. Our new vocalist’s name is Geoffrey Ficco and he is truly a beast! If you’ve heard our demo for ‘The Eidolon Reality’ than you’ve already heard his punishing vocals ;) Surprise!” – Keene
- Staff (undated). “The Faceless Announces New Bassist – Apr. 7, 2011”. Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- [better source needed] (registration required) "Lyle Cooper Leaving The Faceless". Lyle Cooper (via his Facebook module). Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Staff (January 28, 2013). "[untitled]". The Faceless (via their Facebook module). Retrieved February 1, 2013.
To clear the air on a few details, The Faceless has decided to part ways with drummer Lyle Cooper due to a growing difference in the level of commitment to the project. We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors and we’re sure he’ll continue to be successful with music. Having said that, we are very excited to announce that Alex Rudinger is our new full time drummer. We just played our first 3 shows with him in Mexico and what he brings to the band both musically and personally, is simply astounding. We are looking forward to a great future with Alex.The Faceless was design by Juan Franco Art in 2007