The Giver (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Phillip Noyce|
|Screenplay by||Michael Mitnick
Robert B. Weide
|Based on||The Giver
by Lois Lowry
|Music by||Marco Beltrami|
|Edited by||Barry Alexander Brown|
|Distributed by||The Weinstein Company|
|Running time||97 minutes|
|Box office||$67 million|
The Giver is a 2014 American social science fiction film directed by Phillip Noyce and written by Michael Mitnick and Robert B. Weide based on the 1993 novel of same name by Lois Lowry. The film stars Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep, Brenton Thwaites, Cameron Monaghan, Odeya Rush, Alexander Skarsgård, Katie Holmes, and Taylor Swift. It was released in the United States on August 15, 2014.
In the year 2048, after a war, the community has decided to get rid of different races and feelings. All the citizens have had their memories erased; except for the Receiver of Memory. Since the Receiver of Memory is the only individual in the community who has the memories from before, he must advise the Chief Elder, and the other Elders, on the decisions for the community.
Jonas is a 16 year old teenager who is anxious about the job he will be assigned (along with everyone else). He has two best friends: Asher and Fiona.
On the day of graduation, Everyone is assigned their jobs. Jonas is briefly skipped, as he has not been assigned a job. Instead, Jonas is to become the next Receiver of Memory, and progressively receive memories from the past receiver, The Giver. Upon assuming his role as The Receiver, Jonas learns of the Giver's past and of his child, Rosemary. She preceded Jonas as Receiver of Memory, and was so distraught from the memories that she committed suicide, by what the Community call releasing. They regard its nature as mysterious; the audience learn that it is death by lethal injection. Jonas begins to teach his findings to his friend Fiona, who he decides to share the idea of feelings with. Fiona is unsure of how she feels about feelings, but they kiss while together privately.
Jonas also shares his memories with the baby his father brought home to their house, Gabe, and develops a close relationship with him after discovering he shares the same mark on his wrist Jonas does, the mark of a potential Receiver of Memory. Jonas decides that everyone should have the memories of the past and eventually, the Giver and Jonas decide that the only way they can help the community is to go past the border of what they call Elsewhere, beyond the community, therefore releasing the memories back into the community. Jonas sneaks out at curfew, and decides to get Gabe at the Nurturing Center, who is to be released of weakness. Asher, his other longtime friend besides Fiona, tries to stop him before he leaves the neighborhood, but Jonas quickly punches him. Asher lies on the ground, stunned, and Jonas rides his bike to the Nurturing Center. He tells Fiona his plan and wants to take her with him, but she refuses and instead helps him retrieve Gabe. Before he leaves, she kisses him and helps him escape.
Meanwhile Jonas's mother and Asher, go to the Chief Elder to tell them Jonas is missing. Guards are sent to contain Jonas, who they say has become "dangerous", but Jonas gets one of their motorcycles and drives off the cliff near the Giver's dwelling into "The Elsewhere". Asher is assigned, by the Chief Elder, to use a drone to find Jonas and "lose" him but when Asher finds Jonas stumbling through the woods, he captures him with the drone. After Jonas implores Asher to think that if he ever cared for Jonas to let him go, Asher drops him into a river, setting him free. Jonas stumbles through the land of Elsewhere, while Fiona has been condemned to be "released" for helping him. Just as she is about to be released by Jonas's father, the Giver steps in and stalls the Chief Elder with memories of his daughter, Rosemary, trying to call out the Chief Elder, in which she succeeded. Eventually, Jonas finds a sled like one he rode in a memory from the Giver and makes his way beyond the border of Elsewhere, releasing memories and color back into the community and saving Fiona because Jonas's father realizes what he was really doing. Jonas and Gabe return to the house of his memories, where people are singing Christmas carols, and his voiceover says that back in the community, he swears he hears music too, or possibly just an echo.
- Brenton Thwaites as Jonas
- Jeff Bridges as The Giver
- Meryl Streep as The Chief Elder
- Cameron Monaghan as Asher
- Alexander Skarsgård as Jonas's father
- Katie Holmes as Jonas's mother
- Emma Tremblay as Lilly
- Odeya Rush as Fiona
- Taylor Swift as Rosemary
Jeff Bridges had wanted to film the futuristic novel for several years, but encountered obstacles when Warner Bros. bought the rights in 2007. They then ended up at The Weinstein Company and Walden Media. Bridges's actual vision was that his own father, Lloyd Bridges, would play as The Giver.
Filming began on October 7, 2013 in Cape Town and Johannesburg. Meryl Streep had some of her scenes shot in England, where she also filmed Rob Marshall's Into the Woods, before doing additional filming two months later in Paarl, a town near Cape Town. The filming was completed on February 13, 2014 in Utah.
The score for The Giver was composed by Marco Beltrami. The song "Ordinary Human" by OneRepublic was featured in the movie. The film also features Tori Kelly's "Silent". The soundtrack was released on August 5, 2014 by Interscope Records.
On July 11, 2014, it was announced that The Weinstein Company and Walden Media would be teaming up with Fathom Events to stream the red carpet premiere to more than 250 theaters in the US on August 11, four days before its official release. Ziegfeld Theatre hosted the film's premiere in New York City.
Upon its release, The Giver was met with generally mixed to negative reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a rating of 35%, based on 133 reviews, with an average rating of 5.3/10. The site's consensus states: "Phillip Noyce directs The Giver with visual grace, but the movie doesn't dig deep enough into the classic source material's thought-provoking ideas." On Metacritic, the film holds a score of 47 out of 100, based on 33 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."
- "THE GIVER (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. September 3, 2014. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- "The Giver (2014) - Box Office Mojo". August 15, 2014. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- Busis, Hillary (September 27, 2013). "Taylor Swift will co-star in long-awaited adaptation of 'The Giver'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Graser, Marc (27 June 2011). "Bridges giving ‘Giver’ another shot". Variety. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Finn, Natalie (30 September 2013). "Katie Holmes: "Excited" to Shoot The Giver With Meryl Streep, Taylor Swift and More". E! Online. Retrieved 1 October 2013. "Principal photography on the film is scheduled to begin Oct. 7 in Cape Town with an eye on an Aug. 15, 2014, theatrical release."
- Venable, Nick (26 September 2013). "Katie Holmes Joins Meryl Streep And Jeff Bridges In The Giver". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 18 October 2013. "The Giver, which also stars Alexander Skarsgård, Odeya Rush, Cameron Monaghan and Emma Tremblay, is looking to go into production soon in South Africa, but because Streep will be shooting Rob Marshall’s Into the Woods in England, she will likely have her scenes filmed there as well."
- Cerasaro, Pat (9 December 2013). "Silver Fox! Meryl Streep Arrives In Costume On Set Of THE GIVER". Broadway World. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Dumas, Daisy (15 February 2014). "Chilling end to filming of Noyce's blockbuster". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "Marco Beltrami to Score Phillip Noyce’s ‘The Giver’". filmmusicreporter.com. June 19, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Lee, Ashley (10 July 2014). "'The Giver': New Footage Premieres OneRepublic Song 'Ordinary Human' (Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "‘The Giver’ Soundtrack Details". filmmusicreporter.com. July 21, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Busis, Hillary (19 March 2014). "'The Giver' trailer: Meryl Streep! Jeff Bridges! Color?! VIDEO". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- Doty, Meriah (11 April 2014). "Fans, Are You Happy? 'The Giver' Goes Black and White, Officially". Yahoo. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Stedman, Alex (4 June 2014). "Watch: Rebellion Begins in ‘The Giver’ New Trailer". Variety. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (July 11, 2014). "'The Giver' to Screen in 250 Theaters Across the U.S. During Premiere". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- McClintock, Pamela (August 15, 2014). "Box Office: 'Expendables 3' Earns Dismal $5.9M Friday for Franchise-Worst Debut". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- "Weekend Report: 'Turtles,' 'Guardians' Crush Weak 'Expendables'". Box Office Mojo. 2014-08-17. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "The Giver". Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- "The Giver". Metacritic/CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- Official website
- The Giver at the Internet Movie Database
- The Giver at Box Office Mojo
- The Giver at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Giver at Metacritic