Thwaites at the premiere of Oculus, Toronto Film Festival, 8 September 2013
9 August 1989 |
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Brenton Thwaites (born 9 August 1989) is an Australian actor, best known for portraying Luke Gallagher in the Fox8 teen drama series, SLiDE, and Stu Henderson in the soap opera Home and Away. Thwaites will be starring in The Giver as one of the male leads, Jonas, with Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep.
Thwaites was born in Cairns, Queensland in 1989 to Peter and Fiona Thwaites. He has a sister, Stacey. He underwent secondary education at Cairns State High School in Far North Queensland, with his senior year held in 2006. He studied acting at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) and he graduated in 2010. He then relocated to Sydney to join the long-running soap opera Home and Away and to pursue his career in acting.
Prior to graduating from the Queensland University of Technology, Thwaites made his film debut in Charge Over You, a 2010 independent feature film. After he graduated, Thwaites went onto appear in an episode of Sea Patrol.
In November 2010, Thwaites, along with Adele Perovic, Ben Schumann, Emily Robins, and Gracie Gilbert,was cast in a new Fox8 Australian teen drama series, SLiDE. The show follows five Brisbane teenagers making their way to adulthood. Thwaites believes his character, Luke Gallagher, "stands back a bit. He watches. He's struggling with family issues. He's drawn in as it was a chance to find better friends and an opportunity to be part of a group. He's a cool, accepted kid. Some friends he can love and help him mature." Thwaites made his first appearance on SLiDE in the series' premiere episode on 16 August 2011. The series ran one season.
Shortly after Thwaites relocated to Sydney from Cairns in April 2011, he was given a five–month recurring role of Stu Henderson in the 24th season of Home and Away. Thwaites called the show a great learning experience and said his co-stars were easy to work with. Thwaites made his first appearance as Stu, a member of the River Boys, on 23 August 2011. Tristan Swanwick of The Courier-Mail said Thwaites was a "bit too pretty to be a bad-ass River Boy" but that some fake tattoos would balance that impression. Of his character, Thwaites said, "Stu's awesome, he has some fights, he gets the girls, it's awesome fun."
Thwaites signed on to play the male lead in the television remake of the 1980 film, The Blue Lagoon, entitled Blue Lagoon: The Awakening, which aired on 16 June 2012. Filming began in February 2012 in Puerto Rico. In 2014, Thwaites co-starred in Maleficent as Prince Phillip.
|2010||Charge Over You||Sam|
|2011||Headsmen||Max Patterson||Short film|
|2011||Sea Patrol||Leigh Scarpia||Episode: "Black Flights"|
|2011||SLiDE||Luke Gallagher||Regular role; all 10 episodes|
|2011||Rove LA||Himself||Part of the studio audience|
|2011–2012||Home and Away||Stu Henderson||Recurring role; 57 episodes|
|2012||Save Your Legs||Mark Cow|
|2012||Blue Lagoon: The Awakening||Dean McMullen||Television film, a 2012 remake of The Blue Lagoon|
|2014||The Signal||Nick Eastman|
|2014||Son of a Gun||Post–production|
|2016||Gods of Egypt||Bek||Filming|
- Richards, Holly (6 September 2011). "No job wait for Thwaites". The West Australian (Seven West Media Limited). Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- Busis, Hillary (27 September 2013). "Taylor Swift will co-star in long-awaited adaptation of 'The Giver'". Entertainment Weekly.
- Strudwick, Daniel (27 July 2011). "Cairns actor Brenton Thwaites trades Far North for a role in Home and Away". The Cairns Post (News Limited). Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Underbelly coup for QUT acting grads". Queensland University of Technology. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Swanwick, Tristan (9 July 2011). "Brenton soaps up well for role". The Courier-Mail (Queensland Newspapers). Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Big break calls Thwaites back". Gold Coast Mail (APN News & Media). 16 August 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Dennehy, Luke (21 August 2011). "Thwaites' to star in Home and Away". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "The Project". Charge Over You. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "A SLiDE Show of Teen Drama - Meet Brenton Thwaites". Q News. 16 August 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Episode 062 - Black Flights". Sea Patrol. 7 June 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "SliDE starts production for Foxtel". Throng. 9 November 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Knox, David (15 August 2011). "SLiDE". TV Tonight. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "A new drama series for Fox8 - SLiDE". Austar. 8 November 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Brenton Thwaites and Indiana Evans to star in Lifetime's remake of 1980 film The Blue Lagoon". The Daily Telegraph (News Limited). 7 February 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Fowler, Tara (31 May 2012). "'Maleficient' casts 'Home and Away's Brenton Thwaites as prince". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- Swanwick, Tristan; Cooper, Nathanael (9 September 2011). "Home and Away star Brenton Thwaites busted by Rove McManus writing in his journal in audience of Rove LA". The Sunday Times (News Limited). Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Actor Brenton Thwaites busted by Rove in awkward moment". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). 19 September 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.