The One (Backstreet Boys song)
|Single by Backstreet Boys|
|from the album Millennium|
|Released||May 16, 2000|
November 2–4, 1998
|Writer(s)||Max Martin, Brian Littrell|
|Producer(s)||Max Martin, Kristian Lundin|
|Backstreet Boys singles chronology|
In a 2001 interview on The View, the group stated they never really intended "The One" as their fourth single. The group held a poll which allowed fans to choose what the next single from their album should be, and after Nick Carter himself called in and voted for "The One", his large fan-base followed. The song the rest of the group really wanted to be a single that the fans were voting for the most was "Don't Want You Back".
A sneak preview of this song was released on the Selections from A Night Out with the Backstreet Boys CD on November 17, 1998 and had a slightly different sound to it. This song was also used as the opening song in the shōnen anime Hanada Shōnen-shi.
- The One (Album Version) - 3:46
- Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely (Soul Solution Mixshow Edit) - 3:40
- Larger Than Life (Jack D. Elliot Radio Mix) - 3:50
- The One (Album Version) - 3:46
- The One (Instrumental) - 3:46
- Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely (Jason Nevins Crossover Remix)
The music video was directed by Chris Hafner and Kevin Richardson in April 2000. The video opened with a dedication to the Boys' fans, crew, band, and dancers. The video itself opens with a time-lapse shot of the Bankers Life Fieldhouse (then named Conseco Fieldhouse), home of the Indiana Pacers, being converted from a basketball court to the band's stage for the Into the Millennium Tour, which is reversed at the end of the video. The remainder of the video is made up of clips of performance footage from the tour, and less notably, a number of panned still images and off-stage clips from behind the scenes, or from other promotional appearances done for Millennium. The footage is not specifically related to "The One", though there are a few clips of the band synced to the lyrics. A soundtrack of screaming fans was added to the album version of the song to give a live feeling to the song. Concert footage was from the entire tour as well as a concert in the Bryce Jordan Center, the basketball arena for Penn State University There also appears in the video at segment of the Backstreet Boys playing basketball in Michigan State jerseys. This is because concert footage was also taken from when the band played the Jack Breslin Center.
Most of the video is in widescreen format, though the within letterboxed black area are pulses of color based on the brightness of the shots. The choruses mainly feature two different clips side-by-side, further letterboxing the video. During the breakdown before the final choruses, the normal letterboxed image is split horizontally into four segments and different clips flash between them with camera flash effects on the borderlines.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||41|
|Austrian Singles Chart||25|
|Belgium (Flanders) Singles chart||35|
|Canadian RPM Singles Chart||4|
|Dutch Singles Chart||21|
|Finnish Singles Chart||19|
|German Singles Chart||15|
|Irish Singles Chart||19|
|Italian Singles Chart||10|
|New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart||15|
|Swedish Singles Chart||25|
|Swiss Singles Chart||19|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||30|
|U.S. Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||15|
- The One [Album Version] 3:46
- The One [Instrumental] 3:46
- The One [Jack D. Elliot Radio Mix] 3:35
- The One [Pablo Flores Miami Mixshow Edit]6:29
- The One [Pablo Flores Miami Club Mix] 10:07
- "Backstreet Boys: World Domination Continues With Multiple Wins at World Music Awards". June 2, 2000. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "Backstreet Boys on The View (2001) Interview - 1 of 2". Youtube. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Backstreet Boys — The One". MTV. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- "University boasts quirky history, strange facts". Collegian Online. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Backstreet Boys - The One". LesCharts. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Backstreet Boys – The One" Canciones Top 50.