David I. Kertzer (born 1948) is Paul Dupee, Jr. University Professor of Social Science, Professor of Anthropology (1992– ), Professor of History (1992–2001), and Professor of Italian Studies (2001-) at Brown University. He was Provost of Brown from July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2011. In 2005 he was elected a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
He is the author of numerous books and articles on politics and culture, European social history, anthropological demography, 19th-century Italian social history, contemporary Italian society and politics, and the history of Vatican relations with the Jews and the Italian state. His book, The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, was a finalist for the National Book Award in Nonfiction in 1997. His 2001 book, The Popes Against the Jews, has been published in nine languages.
- Comrades and Christians: Religion and Political Struggle in Communist Italy. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1980
- Family Life in Central Italy, 1880-1910: Sharecropping, Wage Labor and Coresidence. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 1984.
- Ritual, Politics and Power. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1988.
- Family, Political Economy, and Demographic Change: The Transformation of Life in Casalecchio, Italy, 1861-1921 (with Dennis Hogan). Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1989.
- Sacrificed for Honor: Italian Infant Abandonment and the Politics of Reproductive Control. Boston: Beacon Press, 1993
- Politics and Symbols: The Italian Communist Party and the Fall of Communism. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996.
- The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara. New York: Knopf, 1997.
- The Popes Against the Jews: The Vatican’s Role in the Rise of Modern Anti-Semitism. New York: Knopf, 2001.
- Prisoner of the Vatican: The Pope’s Plot to Capture Italy from the New Italian State. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin, 2004.
- Amalia’s Tale: a Peasant’s Fight for Justice in 19th Century Italy. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin, 2008.
- Bruno Riccio “Kertzer, David I.” Biographical Dictionary of Social and Cultural Anthropology New York: Routledge, 2004.
- David Kertzer
- Critical Review evaluations of Professor Kertzer (requires login)
- Curriculum Vitae. David I. Kertzer. July 2006