The Raccoons and the Lost Star
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|The Raccoons and the Lost Star|
|Written by||Kevin Gillis
Juliet Law Packer
|Directed by||Kevin Gillis|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Running time||49 minutes|
The Raccoons and the Lost Star is a precursor TV Special[verification needed] to the animated series The Raccoons and debuted in 1983. It came after the first two Raccoons seasonal specials, which were The Christmas Raccoons in 1980 and The Raccoons on Ice in 1981. There are some thematic elements that don't exist in the first specials, such as the Raccoons' world being separate from that of the humans. In the United States, where The Raccoons specials were in the top 10 in Nielsen ratings, The Raccoons and the Lost Star was the number one children's two-part special in syndication at the time.
One night in the Evergreen Forest, Schaeffer the sheepdog is playing with his human owners, Tommy and Julie, when their father, Dan the Forest Ranger has a surprise for them. As Schaeffer takes a brief nap, he is awoken by a glowing red plane that lands in front of the cabin. Schaeffer goes to investigate, but the pilot gets a call from his commanding officer to return to his base. Panicking, Schaeffer climbs into the passenger seat of the plane and is flown away from Earth and to a strange jungle planet. Upon his arrival to a giant base filled with weaponry, he's chased by the forces of the Imperial Commander Cyril Sneer, but escapes them. Schaeffer runs into Sophia Tutu, a friend of his from the planet Earth, although Sophia doesn't seem to know Schaeffer. Sophia takes Schaeffer to meet Broo, her pet sheepdog puppy. Meanwhile, Cyril Sneer plans to conquer Earth with the help of a magic star (which Broo wears around his neck). The star has enough power to launch his firepower to raid the planet. He sends out his army to hunt down every animal in the jungle and find the star.
Meanwhile, Sophia, Broo, and Schaeffer are captured by the Raccoons (Ralph, Bert and Melissa). The trio are the only animals left in the jungle. They free Sophia, Broo, and Schaeffer finding they are on their side. Sophia then meets up with her boyfriend Cedric Sneer and finds out that Cyril is Cedric's father. After a series of animals being rescued and recaptured, Cyril notices on a security tape that Broo has the star. That night, Cyril discovers a "jungle rendezvous" Cedric is having with Sophia and he follows him and has Sophia imprisoned and soon all her friends, but with Broo and Cedric's help, the Raccoons and the other animals escape from Cyril's clutches and destroy his fortress in the process.
After rejoice, Bert flies Schaeffer back to earth via airplane. Schaeffer awakes from his long dream and sees that Dan, Tommy, and Julie reveal their surprise to him, which turns out to be Broo.
- Len Carlson - Bert Raccoon / Pig General
- Michael Magee - Cyril Sneer / Snag
- Bob Dermer - Ralph Raccoon / Bears
- Dottie West - Melissa Raccoon
- Carl Banas - Schaeffer / Bears
- Fred Little - Cedric Sneer / Pig General
- Sharon Lewis - Sophia Tutu / Broo
- John Schneider- Dan the Forest Ranger
- Nick Nichols - Pig General
- Tammy Bourne - Julie
- Hadley Kay - Tommy
- Rich Little - Narrator
Songs and performers
- John Schneider - "Calling You", "Shining", "One More Night" (duet), "Friends" (duet)
- Dottie West - "Lions & Tigers", "Fallin', Fallin'"
Variety praised the third special, The Raccoons and the Lost Star, calling it a rollicking good adventure filled with space-age animation, high-tech gadgetry, lilting tunes, a lovable sheepdog, and the delightful Raccoons team.
- "Raccoon toys, games emerge from TV show". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Raccoons Land A Disney Series". Google News (Montreal Gazette). December 8, 1984. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- "Re: The Lost Star = The Night Star?". Yahoo! Groups. 1 January 2005. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Promotional back cover, The Raccoons and the Lost Star". gilsinan.com. Retrieved 2013-10-18.