The Touch (Stan Bush song)
|Song by Stan Bush from the album The Transformers The Movie: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|Genre||AOR, hard rock|
|Writer||Lenny Macaluso and Stan Bush|
"The Touch" is a rock song by American singer and guitarist Stan Bush. The song features prominently in the 1986 animated film The Transformers: The Movie, and appears on the soundtrack album released the following year.
"The Touch" was released as a double A-side single with "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Dare to Be Stupid", another song from the soundtrack album of the Transformers movie. It was also released in 1987 on Stan Bush & Barrage's self-titled album. The song was inspired by a line in the movie Iron Eagle, and originally written for the Sylvester Stallone film Cobra. Its inclusion on the Transformers soundtrack was Bush's first exposure to the franchise.
In 1997, Bush re-recorded the song and "Dare" (another song from The Transformers: The Movie) for the BotCon exclusive soundtrack CD Til All Are One. Bush submitted a different re-recorded version of the song from his album In This Life for the 2007 live action Transformers film, but it was not included on the final soundtrack. He later recorded another version, subtitled "Sam's Theme", for possible inclusion in the 2009 sequel Revenge of the Fallen. The 2009 version differs markedly from the original and 2007 versions, adding rap verses and being more melancholic in tone, with it being described as a "redux a la Linkin Park". In 2010, Bush released a music video for "The Touch: Sam's Theme" on his YouTube channel, featuring clips from the first two Transformers films. The song was edited with the rap verses removed, and was included in the 2010 album Dream the Dream. The 2009 versions were poorly received.
The 2007 version of "The Touch" was released as a free downloadable track for the video game Guitar Hero World Tour on May 28, 2009. Bush had expressed interest in wanting the song to appear in the game or in competing music game Rock Band. On October 12, 2010, the song was released as a downloadable track for Rock Band through the Rock Band Network.
On September 15, 2012, Bush released another remix of the song as "The Touch (Power Mix)" on iTunes. The "Power Mix" is a variation of "Sam's Theme" with a new chorus arrangement. Also included in the single is "The Touch (Epic Guitar Mix)", which, like the 1997 and 2007 versions, is a re-recording of the original song.
In popular culture
Due to the cult status of the animated film, the song has reappeared in a number of media since the 1990s.
Outside of Transformers, its most prominent use was in the 1997 film Boogie Nights, performed by Mark Wahlberg's character. His cover also appeared as a hidden track on the first volume of that film's soundtrack album. Director Paul Thomas Anderson had also used the song in his 1988 short film The Dirk Diggler Story, on which Boogie Nights is based.
The song also appeared on a 2008 episode of Chuck entitled "Chuck Versus Tom Sawyer", as well as a 2010 episode of American Dad entitled "Cops and Roger", during an 80s-film style montage. The song also plays during The Goldbergs episode "Kara-te," when Barry Goldberg practices for a school talent show. The song was also parodied in the episode "Burgerboss" of Bob's Burgers, and appeared in the 2013 Regular Show episode "A Bunch of Full Grown Geese," the 100th episode of the series. The Transformers Prime episode "Nemesis Prime" also featured an instrumental version of the song being played on the radio of Special Agent William Fowler, just before being attacked by the titular character of the episode.
Wrestler Jimmy Jacobs also used the song as his theme music in his early days in the Ring of Honor promotion, as did Mike Quackenbush up until 2001, while the 2009 version was used as the theme for Chikara's 2011 King of Trios event. The 2007 version was used by the WWE superstar CM Punk as part of a mock tribute video to then-interim Raw General Manager John Laurinaitis.
In video games, the song plays during the final mission of Saints Row IV when the President acquires the power armor. It is also playable any time using the in-game radio. The song also plays during the prologue cutscene of Shadow Warrior. Trailers for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and the game's end credits prominently featured both the 2007 version and 2012 Power Mix remix of the song.
- "Stan Bush & Barrage (3) – Stan Bush & Barrage". Discogs. Zink Media, Inc. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- The Touch Songfacts
- Do You Have ‘The Touch’? Learn the Bizarre History of the Greatest Transformers Song Ever
- Sciretta, Peter (14 May 2009). "Transformers 2 Remake of Stan Bush’s "The Touch"". /Film. Retrieved 26 May 2009.
- "Stan Bush Remakes "The Touch"". tfw2005. 14 May 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2009.
- TFW2005.com - Stan Bush The Touch Dream the Dream Official Video
- de Matos, Xav (19 March 2009). "Stan Bush's 'The Touch' coming to Guitar Hero". Joystiq. Retrieved 26 May 2009.
- Fahey, Mike (6 October 2008). "Stan Bush Wants "The Touch" In Guitar Hero, Rock Band". Kotaku. Retrieved 26 May 2009.
- ""The Touch (Power Mix)" - Single by Stan Bush". iTunes. 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Phil Klemmer (writer), Norman Buckley (director) (2008-10-27). "Chuck Versus Tom Sawyer". Chuck. Season 2. Episode 5. NBC.
- Transformers Prime, Episode: Nemesis Prime
- "King of Trios". Chikara. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Fahey, Mike (August 21, 2012). "Fall of Cybertron’s End Credits Dap Our Darkest Hour". Kotaku. Retrieved December 28, 2014.