18 May 1957 |
He is the author of investigations into the extreme right-wing (particularly about the National Front Militias, which are the object of a parliamentary investigation and caused a separation of the extreme right-wing party), as well as into the Catholic Church (Opus Dei, for example).
In 1994, Meyssan became a staff member of the Parti Radical de Gauche, a center-left political organization, and he participates in the campaign of Bernard Tapie (1994 European elections) and Christiane Taubira (2002 presidential elections).
From 1996 to 1999, he worked as substitute coordinator of the National Committee of Surveillance against the extreme right, which held weekly meetings with the 45 major political parties, unions and associations belonging to the French left-wing in order to draw up a common response to escalating intolerance.
Between 1999 and 2002, Meyssan replaced Emma Bonino in the leading post of the Anti-prohibitionist Radical Coordination, an international organization aiming to decriminalize drug use as a means to cut organized crime's main source of income.
Publication of The Big Lie
In 2002, he published the controversial work on the September 11 terrorist attacks—9/11: The Big Lie—in which Meyssan argues that such attacks were organized by a faction of what he calls "the US military industrial complex" in order to impose a military regime. The book was translated into 28 languages; it was followed by Le Pentagate, a book arguing that the attack against the Pentagon was not carried out by a commercial airliner but a missile.
He started a campaign at the United Nations to initiate an international investigation commission to revisit the general consensus regarding the 9/11 attacks, but he was not able to reach his objective. There was little support, except from the Arab League and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
In November 2005, Thierry Meyssan presided over the Axis for Peace 2005 Colloquium, which gathered over 130 participants from 37 nations in order to discuss the international situation and call a people’s mobilization in favour of international law and world peace and against the neoconservative trend.
Other areas of research
Meyssan also believes the Beslan massacre was thought out and perpetrated by the CIA, through the terrorist leader Shamil Basayev, who Meyssan insists was a CIA strawman. The purpose of the massacre in Beslan had been, claims Meyssan, an attempt by the USA to gain control of the resources of the Caspian Sea.
2011 Libyan civil war
|This section requires expansion. (August 2011)|
On 22 August 2011, Meyssan while stuck at the Rixos Hotel in Tripoli, reported live, by voice, to the Russian television network Russia Today. He claimed that, contrary to other reports, Gaddafi forces had driven the rebels from most of the city. At the same time he described that he felt in danger, accusing other CNN and BBC journalists at the hotel of being spies from the CIA and the MI6, who were allegedly giving information on objectives to the NATO and the NTC militias.
That same day, Meyssan reported that U.S. agents, disguised as journalists at the Rixos hotel (as he had previously indicated) had marked him for assassination. He then stated that the identities of these spies would be released in due course. Five countries offered protection to Meyssan and Nazemroaya in their embassies, but they were unable to reach any of them, because of the heavy fighting around the hotel and the encirclement of some of that embassies by NTC militias[dead link]
- La Protection des homosexuels dans le droit européen de Collectif, Projet Ornicar éd. (Paris), 1993, ISBN 2-910209-00-8.
- L'Intégration des transsexuels de Collectif, Projet Ornicar éd. (Paris), 1993, ISBN 2-910209-01-6.
- Charles Millon, le porte-glaive de Collectif, Golias (Lyon), 1999, ISBN 2-911453-39-5.
- L'Énigme Pasqua, Golias (Lyon), 2000, ISBN 2-911453-88-3.
- Terrorisme en soutane : Jean-Paul II contre l'IVG par le Réseau Voltaire pour la liberté d'expression, L'Esprit frappeur (Paris), 2000, ISBN 2-84405-141-3.
- 9/11 The Big Lie, Carnot Publishing (London), 2002, ISBN 1-59209-026-5.
- Pentagate, USA Books (New York), 2002, ISBN 1-59209-028-1.
- Os Senhores da Guerra, Frenesi (Lisboa), 2002, ISBN 972-8351-67-4.
- Foreword (with Jean Ziegler), Le Cartel Bush, Timéli (Genève), 2004, ISBN 2-940342-05-9.
- Politicamente Incorrecto, postface by Fidel Castro, Ciencias sociales (Cuba), 2004, ISBN 959-06-0640-7.
- Foreword (with José Saramago), El Neron del siglo XXI, Apostrofe (Madrid), 2004, ISBN 84-455-0258-1.
- L'Effroyable imposture 1 & Le Pentagate, Nouvelle édition annotée, Demi-lune (Paris), 2007, ISBN 978-2-9525571-6-0.
- Resistere alla menzogna in Zero, Perché la versione ufficiale sull'11/9 è un falso (avec Giulietto Chiesa), Piemme (Milan), 2007, ISBN 978-88-384-6838-4.
- L'Effroyable imposture 2. Manipulations et désinformation, Editions Alphée-Jean-Paul Bertrand (Paris), 2007, ISBN 978-2-7538-0239-1.
- 9-11 Review: Dissembling Books
- Jim Hoffman, The Pentagon No-757-Crash Theory: Booby Trap for 9/11 Skeptics (first published: 7 October 2004. revised: 15 November 2004).
- Pentagon missile hoax
- (Russian)List of articles in Russian weekly magazine Odnako
- Thierry Meyssan, "Beslan: the mystery clarified one year later," www.voltairenet.org (7 September 2005).
- Thierry Meyssan and Mahdi Darius Nazemroaya under death threat in Tripoli Voltaire Network, Tripoli, Libya. 22 August 2011.
- Tripoli: Voltaire Network concerned about the death threats hanging over Mahdi Darius Nazemroaya and Thierry Meyssan Voltaire Network, Tripoli, Libya. 22 August 2011.
- Henley, Jon (1 April 2002). "US invented air attack on Pentagon, claims French book". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2006-03-01.
- Presentation by Thierry Meyssan under the auspices of the Arab League, Zayed Center, 8 April 2002.
- French author calls for probe into 11 September attacks, Khaleej Times, 9 April 2002.
- James S. Robbins 9/11 Denial. The French bestseller and its company, National Review, 9 April 2002.
- Thierry Meyssan, The "Clash of Civilizations", Voltaire Network, 4 June 2004.
- Did a Plane Hit the Pentagon? French Conspiracy Theorist Claims It Did Not, U.S. Département of State, 28 June 2005.
- Thierry Meyssan, Operation Sarkozy : how the CIA placed one of its agents at the presidency of the French Republic 26 July 2008
- Voltaire Network Official Web Site
- Axis for Peace, Official Web Site
- Pentagon missile hoax
- The Pentagon No-757-Crash Theory Booby Trap for 9/11 Skeptics