Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jules Dassin|
|Produced by||Robert Bassler|
|Screenplay by||A. I. Bezzerides|
|Based on||the novel Thieves' Market
by A. I. Bezzerides
Lee J. Cobb
|Music by||Alfred Newman|
|Edited by||Nick DeMaggio|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Running time||94 minutes|
A war-veteran-turned-truck driver Nico "Nick" Garcos (Richard Conte) arrives at home to find his foreign-born father, who is a farmer, crippled. He learns that his father was crippled at the hands of an unscrupulous produce dealer in San Francisco, Mike Figlia (Lee J. Cobb). Garcos vows revenge.
Garcos drives a truckload of apples to San Francisco, where he runs into Figlia. With the help of other drivers and a streetwalker (Valentina Cortese), he defeats Figlia and restores his family honor.
- Richard Conte as Nico "Nick" Garcos
- Valentina Cortese as Rica
- Lee J. Cobb as Mike Figlia
- Barbara Lawrence as Polly Faber
- Jack Oakie as Slob
- Millard Mitchell as Ed Kinney
- Joseph Pevney as Pete
- Morris Carnovsky as Yanko Garcos
- Tamara Shayne as Parthena Garcos
- Kasia Orzazewski as Mrs. Polansky
- Norbert Schiller as Mr. Polansky
- Hope Emerson as Midge, a buyer
The film was shot on location in San Francisco, California, and is noted for its accurate depiction of the vibrant fruit and produce market in that city (and the use of extras who worked at the market). The film was released on DVD as part of the Criterion Collection in 2005.
The outdoor Fruit Market scenes we're shot in the Oakland Produce Market area on 3rd street. Several indoor and street shots are also we're made in that locale. The story discuss's SF and does feature SF but majority of scenes we're in the actual Produce Market in Oakland (now the Warehouse district).
- Thieves' Highway at the Internet Movie Database
- Thieves' Highway at AllMovie
- Thieves' Highway at the TCM Movie Database
- Thieves' Highway essay at the Criterion Collection by Michael Sragow
- Thieves' Highway selected scene on YouTube