||It has been suggested that Kushangaza be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2014.|
||It has been suggested that Only a Dream in Rio be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2014.|
At the 2004 Motor City Comic Con.
|Born||Timothy Darrell Russ
June 22, 1956
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, musician, screenwriter|
Timothy Darrell "Tim" Russ (born June 22, 1956) is an American actor, film director, screenwriter and musician. He is known for his roles as Lieutenant Commander Tuvok on Star Trek: Voyager, as Frank on Samantha Who?, and as Principal Franklin, a recurring character on the Nickelodeon live-action teen sitcom iCarly.
Life and career
Russ was born in Washington, D.C. to a state government employee mother and a U.S. Air Force officer father. He spent part of his childhood in Turkey. During his early life, Tim Russ had many dogs.
Star Trek and other roles
Russ has been extensively involved in the Star Trek franchise, as a voice and film actor, writer, director and producer. He played several minor roles before landing the role as the main character Tuvok. Russ originally screen-tested for the role of Geordi La Forge on Star Trek: The Next Generation before gaining the role of Tuvok.
While many Trek actors claim to have had little interest in the franchise before they signed on for their role, Russ went into Voyager as a dedicated Trekkie with an extensive knowledge of Vulcan lore.
Aside from Tuvok on the Star Trek: Voyager series, Russ has played the following roles in Star Trek:
- Devor, a mercenary in the "Starship Mine" episode of The Next Generation (1993)
- T'Kar, a Klingon in the Deep Space Nine episode "Invasive Procedures" (1993)
- A human tactical Lieutenant on the USS Enterprise-B in the film Star Trek: Generations (1994).
- The Mirror Universe counterpart of his Voyager character, Tuvok, who was a member of the Terran Resistance in the Deep Space Nine (1995) episode "Through the Looking Glass".
In 1995, Russ co-wrote the story for the Malibu Comics Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #29 and 30, with Mark Paniccia. Russ performed voice acting roles as Tuvok for the computer games Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force and Star Trek: Elite Force II. Russ is also the director and one of the stars of the fan series Star Trek: Of Gods and Men, the first third of which was released in December 2007, with the remaining two thirds released in 2008.
He also did a clip of Star Trek Titan for a tour.
In 1990 he played a role for Freddy's Nightmares, a television series that was part of the A Nightmare on Elm Street (franchise). The episode had multiple quotes and hints suggesting to Star Trek fandom, such as: "Beam me up Scotty," "Captain! The dilithium crystals are running out," and Tim Russ' character being named Picard. This can be considered an early precursor to his extensive Star Trek career.
Russ is currently directing and co-starring in the fan financed Star Trek: Renegades
Russ most recently appeared as Frank, a sarcastic doorman in Christina Applegate's ABC comedy, Samantha Who? from 2007 to 2009, and currently appears as Principal Ted Franklin in Nickelodeon's show iCarly. He also portrayed a surgeon on an episode of Hannah Montana, "I Am Hannah, Hear Me Croak."
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (February 2008)|
Russ's band went head-to-head in a competition with Howard Stern's band The Losers on an episode of Stern's radio show. The judges ultimately crowned Stern's band the winners.
His band can occasionally be seen playing at the Kibitz Room at Canter's Deli.
The music video for the song "Kushangaza" can be seen as part of the Special Features for season 2 of Star Trek: Voyager - highlight part of the ship on page 3 of the features menu.
- Only a Dream in Rio (1998)
- Tim Russ (2000)
- Kushangaza (2001)
- Brave New World (2003)
- 2nd Thoughts (2007)
- Crossroads (1986) as Robert Johnson
- Fire with Fire (1986) as Jerry Washington
- Spaceballs (1987) as The Guy Who Said "We ain't found shit"
- Death Wish 4: The Crackdown (1987) as Jesse
- Timestalkers (1987)
- Pulse (1988) as Policeman
- Roots: The Gift (TV series) (1988) as Marcellus (slave doorman)
- The Highwayman (1988) as D.C. Montana
- Murphy Brown as Secret Service Officer
- Bird (1988) as Harris
- Family Matters (1990) as Jeff
- Freddy's Nightmares (1990) as Dr. Henry Picard (Season 2, Episode 20)
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990) as Eugene
- Dead Silence (1991) as Dep. Ryan
- Eve of Destruction (1991) as Carter
- Night Eyes 2 (1992) as Jesse Younger
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1992) as Agent Collins
- Mr. Saturday Night (1992) as Assistant director
- Journey to the Center of the Earth (1993 TV film) as Joe Briggs
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (1993) as Devor (Season 6, Episode 18, Starship Mine)
- SeaQuest DSV (1994) as Martin Clemens, A.K.A. "Mycroft" (guest)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1994) as T'Kar (guest)
- Dead Connection (1994) as Det. Chuck Roland
- Star Trek Generations (1994) Enterprise-B Bridge Officer
- Star Trek: Voyager (1995–2001) as Lt. Commander Tuvok
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1995) as Mirror Tuvok (guest)
- East of Hope Street (1998) as Casey
- Any Day Now (2002) as Juror (1 episode)
- Unfabulous (2005) as Officer Jones (1 episode)
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (2005) as Town Clerk
- The Oh In Ohio (2005) as Douglas
- ER (2005) as Dr. Medford (1 episode)
- NCIS (2005) as Jerry Kemper (1 episode)
- Unbeatable Harold (2006) as Diner Manager
- Twenty Good Years (2006) as Marty (three episodes)
- The Oh in Ohio (2006) as Douglas
- NCIS (2006) as Garage Attendant (guest)
- Without a Trace (2006) as Phil Hansen, NTSB consultant (Season 5, Episode 12)
- General Hospital (2006–2007) as Dr. Trent (Oncologist) - Several Episodes
- Hannah Montana (2007) as Dr. Meyer (Throat specialist)
- Live Free or Die Hard (2007) as Agent Summers
- iCarly (2007–2012) as Principal Ted Franklin
- Samantha Who? (2007) as Frank the doorman
- InAlienable (2008) as news anchor
- Trust Me (2009) as Gordon Benedict (2 episodes)
- Lincoln Heights (2009) as Principal
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2010) Vicar
- Greyscale (2010) as Gavin Calhoun
- CSI: Miami (2010) as Leonard Sterling
- Good Luck Charlie (2010 to present) as Dr. Meijer
- Suits (2011) as Lawyer (Season 1, Episode 8)
- The Young and the Restless (2011) as Judge Morrison (Episodes 9,741 and 9,742)
- Lab Rats (2013) as Special Agent Gordon
Voice acting roles
- Spider-Man (1997) – Prowler
- Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force – Lt Cdr Tuvok
- Star Trek: Elite Force II – Lt Cdr Tuvok
- Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (2006) – Bandero
- Stormrise (2007) – Donovan
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 (2009) – Black Panther, Colossus
- Dragon Age: Origins (2009) – Zathrian
- Sym-Bionic Titan (2010) – Solomon
- The Secret World (2012) – Harrison Blake
- Star Trek Online (2013) – Tuvok
- Star Trek: Renegades (2014 fan production)
- Plugged short film satirizing advertising (2007 in final edits)
- Star Trek: Of Gods and Men (2007 fan production)
- Star Trek: Voyager episode: Living Witness
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tim Russ.|
- Official website
- Tim Russ at the Internet Movie Database
- Tim Russ at AllRovi
- Tim Russ Interviewed at BlankmanInc
- Tim Russ interviewed on Krypton Radio's The Event Horizon