Truman G. Madsen
|Truman Grant Madsen|
December 13, 1926|
Salt Lake City, Utah
|Died||May 28, 2009
|Alma mater||Harvard University (Ph.D.)
University of Utah
University of Southern California
|Occupation||Philosopher, historian, speaker, author, professor|
|Home town||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Religion||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
Truman Grant Madsen (13 December 1926 – 28 May 2009) was an emeritus professor of religion and philosophy at Brigham Young University and director of the Brigham Young University Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies. He was a prolific author, a recognized authority on Joseph Smith, and a popular lecturer among Latter-day Saints. At one point Madsen was an instructor at the LDS Institute of Religion in Berkeley, California.
Madsen served as a missionary in the New England Mission with S. Dilworth Young as his mission president. After his marriage and the start of his academic career, he was called in 1961 to serve as president of the New England Mission. He served in this position until he was replaced by Boyd K. Packer in 1965.
- Truman G. Madsen, LDS author and scholar, died Thursday
- Bio of Madsen on his web site
- TrumanMadsen.com :: Biography
- Tate, Lucille C., Boyd K. Packer: A Watchman on the Tower (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1995) p. 140
- Truman G. Madsen
- ISBN 0-88494-333-X
- Truman G. Madsen's "Are Christians Mormon?"
- Truman Madsen - his life and thought (FLASH VIDEO). The Wheatley Institution of Brigham Young University, the Talk Story Foundation. May 30, 2009. Event occurs at 14:06. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- De Groote, Michael (June 3, 2009). "'Love and blessings' to Truman G. Madsen". MormonTimes. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- Author's website
- Works by or about Truman G. Madsen in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Madsen's BYU speeches
- Madsen's publications at Deseret Book
- Madsen's publications from FARMS
- Articles mentioning Madsen at Meridian Magazine
- "Video: Truman Madsen - his life and thought," from the Mormon Times
- Donald W. Parry, Daniel C. Peterson, and Stephen D. Ricks (Editors): Revelation, Reason, and Faith: Essays in Honor of Truman G. Madsen