|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
Twinkle, 'the picture paper especially for little girls' was a popular British comic, published by D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd from 27 January 1968 to 1999 (1612 issues). It was aimed at young girls and came out weekly, supplemented each year with a Summer Special and a hardcover Annual (the first annual was dated 1970).
The comics were introduced by Twinkle herself and featured comic strips, dress-up dolls, a Twinkle Club letters page, and often puzzles. Among the most popular comic strips were Nurse Nancy (illustrated by Sabine Price, Jenny Wren, Witch Winkle, Polly's Magic Paintbox, Goldilocks and her Three Bears, My Baby Brother, The Three Pennys, Patsy Panda, Patty Pickle, Sally Sweet, Molly and her Dollies and Dandy Lion.
Twinkle was given a make-over in the late 1970s and again in the late 1980s, but essentially the character of Twinkle, the comic strips and the essence of the comic remained the same throughout its life.
On March 19 2012, the Royal Mail launched a special stamp collection to celebrate Britain's rich comic book history. The collection featured The Beano, The Dandy, Eagle, The Topper, Roy of the Rovers, Bunty, Buster, Valiant, Twinkle and 2000 AD.
List of strips
- Nurse Nancy- Nancy and her grandad have a toy hospital.
- Jean Genie- every time Gemma slaps the back pocket of her jeans a genie appears to grant her wish. The story is probably named after the song by David Bowie.
- Goody Gumdrops- Goody lives in Sweetie Town, where everyone is named after sweets.
- Jenny Wren- Jenny is a little girl who likes to dress up and make herself look pretty.
- Witch Winkle- Wendy Wilson has a very unusual friend - a witch called Winkle.
- Polly's Magic Paintbox- Whatever Polly paints comes to life because of her magic paints.
- Goldilocks and her Three Bears
- My Baby Brother- The adventures of a young girl and her baby brother.
- The Three Pennys- The adventures of 3 girls, all named Penny.
- Caroline and her Magic Car- Caroline has a magic car that will take her anywhere.
- Patsy Panda
- Silly Milly- She tries to do things right but always lands in a muddle.
- Patty Pickle- similar to Silly Milly.
- Sally Sweet
- Molly and her Dollies
- Dandy Lion
- Jilly of Jingle Bell School
- "Beano's Dennis the Menace on Royal Mail comic stamps". BBC News. 19 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
|This UK comics–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|