May 25, 1983 Expression error: Unexpected > operatorExpression error: Unexpected > operatorExpression error: Unexpected > operator|
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8.9 st)|
|Reach||66 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Team||Simpson Go's Cobra Kai|
|Trainer||Simpson Go (jiu-jitsu) Gil Martinez (striking)|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsubrown belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Ulysses Gomez (Los Angeles, May 25, 1983) is a Mexican American mixed martial artist who competes in the flyweight and bantamweight divisions. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Gomez has mostly fought in PFC and Tachi Palace Fights and is also known for his grappling career.
Gomez was born in Los Angeles, California to two Mexican immigrants. He is the brother of footballer and U.S. national team representative Herculez Gomez. Before his fights, Ulysses has worn the shirt of the club that his brother plays for. This has included the Kansas City Wizards and Puebla FC.
Mixed martial arts career
Gomez has been training with Marc Laimon since he was in high school. Gomez' high school wrestling coach was UFC veteran and Nova União black belt Tony DeSouza. In 2004, Gomez helped Laimon found the Cobra Kai Academy in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he trained and taught the children's class. Since Marc Laimons move to Texas in 2010, Gomez is now training under Laimon's 1st Blackbelt and now owner of Cobra Kai, Simpson Go.
Gomez began his career in PFC, in Lemoore, California. Gomez quickly amassed a record of 2–0, both via submission. Gomez then fought Thai Rambaa Somdet and lost via unanimous decision.
In his final fight for the Palace Fights Championship, Gomez defeated David Suarez.
Gomez then joined Tachi Palace Fights and competed in their first event, against Martin Sandoval.
In his second appearance for Tachi Palace Fights, Gomez defeated Chino Nicholas via technical submission (standing guillotine choke), when Nicholas refused to tap and passed out.
Gomez fought Luis Gonzalez for the inaugural Tachi Palace Fights Flyweight Championship at TPF 4: Cinco de Mayhem. Gomez defeated Gonzalez to take the title, but then immediately announced his signing with Bellator, in addition to his move in weight class. The fight was closely fought and Gomez' decision victory over Gonzalez was heavily booed by the crowd.
Bellator Fighting Championships
In his opening round fight, at Bellator 27, Gomez faced Travis Reddinger, which Gomez won via split decision. Gomez would have faced Zach Makovsky in the semi-final; however, Gomez had to withdraw with a staph infection.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|14 matches||9 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||9–5||Abel Cullum||Submission (guillotine choke)||RFA 18: Manzanares vs. Pantoja||September 12, 2014||1||1:29||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||9–4||Phil Harris||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||9–3||John Moraga||KO (elbows and punches)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||1||3:46||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||9–2||Cody Gibson||Submission (guillotine choke)||Tachi Palace Fights 11||December 2, 2011||3||2:36||Lemoore, California, United States||Won TPF Bantamweight Championship|
|Win||8–2||Drew Bittner||Submission (rear-naked choke)||TPF 10: Tachi Palace Fights 10||August 5, 2011||2||1:21||Lemoore, California, United States||Fought at Bantamweight|
|Loss||7–2||Darrell Montague||Decision (unanimous)||TPF 8: All or Nothing||February 18, 2011||5||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States||Lost TPF Flyweight Championship|
|Win||7–1||Travis Reddinger||Decision (split)||Bellator 27||September 2, 2010||3||5:00||San Antonio, Texas, United States||BW Quarterfinal Tournament Bout|
|Win||6–1||Luis Gonzalez||Decision (unanimous)||Tachi Palace Fights 4: Cinco de Mayhem||May 5, 2010||5||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States||Won first-ever TPF Flyweight Championship|
|Win||5–1||Chino Nicolas||Submission (guillotine choke)||Tachi Palace Fights 2: Brawl in the Hall||December 3, 2009||1||4:31||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||4–1||Martin Sandoval||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tachi Palace Fights: Most Wanted||October 8, 2009||2||0:36||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||David Suarez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||PFC: Best of Both Worlds||February 6, 2009||1||1:45||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Rambaa Somdet||Decision (unanimous)||PFC 11: All In||November 20, 2008||3||3:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Hector Alex Sandoval||Submission (armbar)||PFC 9: The Return||July 18, 2008||1||0:51||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Greg McDowell||Submission (choke)||PFC 7: Palace Fighting Championship 7||May 20, 2008||1||0:41||Lemoore, California, United States|
Gomez is a highly accomplished grappler, having won multiple awards and competitions. These include being ranked top of his weight class in Grapplers Quest. Gomez also competed in Pancrase. Gomez began as a beginner, entering himself into pro divisions and "began submitting black belts shortly after receiving his blue belt"
Gomez then main evented the opening day of the inaugural UFC Fan Expo in a Grapplers Quest exhibition match against Shooto tournament winner and 40-fight MMA veteran Rumina Sato; a natural featherweight. Gomez was defeated by submission (armbar).
Championships and awards
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
- FILA Pankration Champion (first-ever)
- Grapplers Quest Champion
- Desert Quest Absolute Champion
- IGJJF Champion
- NAGA Champion
- Mt. Sac Submission Open Champion
- First-ever Tachi Palace Fights Flyweight Champion
- "Submission artist Ulysses Gomez added to Bellator's season 3 bantamweight tournament". cageradio.com. May 6, 2010.
- "Ulysses "Useless" Gomez debuts tonight at PFC 7". onthemat.com. March 20, 2008.
- "PFC announces hybrid event for April 23". mmajunkie.com. February 13, 2009.
- "Chad Mendes, War Machine, Joe Soto head MMAs return to Tachi Palace Hotel Casino". mmajunkie.com. September 22, 2009.
- "Ruiz outpoints Foupa-Pokam at Tachi Palace Fights". sherdog.com. December 4, 2009.
- "The Weekly Wrap: May 1 - May 7 - Odds and Ends". sherdog.com. May 8, 2010.
- "Gomez, Mitchell take titles; Olympian Abas debut successful at TPF 4". sherdog.com. May 6, 2010.
- "Bellator adds submission ace Ulysses Gomez to season-three 135-pound tourney". sherdog.com. May 6, 2010.
- "Ed West vs. Jose Vega tourney semi-final set for Bellator 30 in Louisville". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010.
- "Ulysses Gomez slotted to face John Moraga at UFC on FOX 4". mmajunkie.com. July 23, 2012.
- "Gomez-Harris added to UFC on FUEL TV 7". MMAjunkie.com. 6 December 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (February 20, 2013). "UFC releases Jon Fitch, Vladimir Matyushenko, 14 others". mmajunkie.com.
- "Our kids Jiu-Jitsu instructor Ulysses". March 20, 2008.
- "UFC announces four grappling superfights for Fan Expo 2009 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. July 1, 2009.
- "In depth preview of UFC Fan Expo grappling superfights". prommanow.com. July 7, 2009.
- "Ulysses Gomez wins TPF belt enters Bellator bantamweight tournament". mmafighting.com. May 6, 2010.