Page Curation update
Hey all :). We've just deployed another set of features for Page Curation. They include flyouts from the icons in Special:NewPagesFeed, showing who reviewed an article and when, a listing of this in the "info" flyout, and a general re-jigging of the info flyout - we've also fixed the weird bug with page_titles_having_underscores_instead_of_spaces in messages sent to talkpages, and introduced CSD logging! As always, these features will need some work - but any feedback would be most welcome.
WikiIndaba and Wikipedian in Residence Notice
As a Wikipedian interested in African subjects and specifically Malawi, I would like you to be aware of the following two opportunities:
1. Wikimedia South Africa and WikiAfrica are organising an WikiIndaba for February 2014 – a continental meeting for Africa-based Wikipedians to get together, discuss challenges and drive the agenda for Wikipedia from Africa. If you support this initiative, then please sign up on this site: http://wikiindaba.net – we also want to hear what you want the Wiki Indaba to achieve. What are your expectations? What does it need to include? Who and what do you want to see happen at WikiIndaba? What is your area of interest? Languages? Data? Please share your ideas and thoughts on the Community Portal
2. WikiAfrica is looking for a Wikipedian in Residence from Malawi. This might be a position that you would consider. Or it could be the perfect opportunity for someone you know from Malawi, please spread the word! For more details, please look at this page: http://www.wikiafrica.net/wikipedian-in-residence-malawi
If you have any questions about either of the above, please contact isla on isla [at] wikiafrica [dot] net : Isla Haddow (talk)
The Signpost: 20 November 2013
Why did you erase the changes on "Ricardo fort" page?? nobody knows him in the english speakers countries and here in argentina we hated him. let us laugh of him PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 13:46, 25 November 2013 (UTC)
There was a mistake.
I believe that my edit regarding the Time War was very constructive, due to the fact that the final day of the Time War did in fact resemble the state of New Jersey. I would strongly appreciate it if you restore my edit. Thank you very much.--188.8.131.52 (talk) 14:51, 25 November 2013 (UTC)
- I'm afraid that the information you added is your personal opinion and so not really appropriate for an encyclopedia. There might be others that don't feel the same way. However, if you find a reliable, 3rd party source that suggests a similarity in appearance to New Jersy, you can add that information. Wikipelli Talk 14:54, 25 November 2013 (UTC)
Wermacht = Armed Forces Heer = Army
So why using the word Wermacht for Army? It is uncorrect. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 13:06, 27 November 2013 (UTC)
Just now an IP has been editing Xite Music. Can you make sense of the edits? George8211what did I break now? 20:29, 29 November 2013 (UTC)
- Looks like the IP was a little confused about the subject of the article. It appears to have been taken care of. Cheers! Wikipelli Talk 02:30, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
Friend, are you staying in India? If you are not, please do not revert my edits and warn me repeatedly. I am only putting out the truth. Out here in India, all Star Sports does is to show cricket matches, I am just adding it in and you always remove it. Luluvit (talk) 16:17, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- I'm sorry, but you cannot include information that is not verified. If you wish to include that they show something "..a billion times.. ", you must include a reliable source for that information. Wikipelli Talk 16:19, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- "A billion times" is an exaggeration, I agree with you. Then is it fine if I do the same edit, but without the "a billion times" line? Because, the current version after your edit is false. I know that because I watch it frequently, and I just want to help the site by adding true information about Star Sports. Luluvit (talk) 16:26, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- Again, personal opinion or even personal observation is not acceptable (generally) in Wikipedia. I would strongly urge you to look for newspaper articles about the channel or the company. See if you can located something that indicates that there is public dissatisfaction reported. That would be perfect to add to the article. Remember, though, that the source must be reliable and independent. I sympathize with your point of view, but try to understand that you are one person and that is not enough to add to the article. If the channel is not doing what the consumer wishes, you should be able to find information to substantiate your claims. Wikipelli Talk 16:29, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- It will be hard to find sources, but I will look for it. And, yes, I am one person but get back to the page and you will see that many other editors also edited the article in the same fashion. So, a lot of people do agree with my view. Luluvit (talk) 16:39, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- Anyway, I will not add anything there till I find a source. But, can you remove the 'last warning or else you will be blocked from editing' from my talk page? I never meant to do anything that will harm the site, so I do not think it should be there. Luluvit (talk) 16:41, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- I don't dispute that there may be many others that share the view. That is why I am hopeful that you will be able to find citations that you can include to verify the information that you wish to add. It is also very possible (even likely) that others have added unverified information. We do the best we can to monitor but there are simply too many editors and pages to keep up with. I was drawn to your edits today because you are a relatively new editor and I read your edits as you made them. I believe that you are trying to edit in good faith to improve the article. I am going to remove your 'final warning' from your talk page. Good luck! If I can help, please let me know. Wikipelli Talk 16:44, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- I am new and just learning on how to edit this site. Thanks for removing the warning from my talk page, and if I need your help for anything else, I'll inform you. Luluvit (talk) 16:52, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
I have been removing this person's disruptive edits as well as you. They just edited another page after your final warning, I suggest that their editing privileges are removed.
(Anonposeidon (talk) 17:38, 2 December 2013 (UTC))
- the user has been blocked. Wikipelli Talk 17:40, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
||The Anti-Vandalism Barnstar
|The burden felt when ClueBot goes down is quickly relived once I see your monitoring the RCs. Thanks for your diligence in protecting the wiki :) — MusikAnimal talk 17:52, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you. I appreciate that. I wondered why CB and I weren't fighting with each other today. Wikipelli Talk 17:54, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
A tag has been placed on Black People (shopping), requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done for the following reason:
Cleanup after malicious page move
Under the criteria for speedy deletion, articles that do not meet basic Wikipedia criteria may be deleted at any time.
If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason, you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Click here to contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. However, be aware that once a page is tagged for speedy deletion, it may be removed without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself, but do not hesitate to add information in line with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. If the page is deleted, and you wish to retrieve the deleted material for future reference or improvement, you can place a request here. Wikipelli Talk 18:37, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
An edit made to Richard Chase
A very small edit I made to the page for Richard Chase was undone.
The sentence I edited stated, "Two days after killing Wallin, Chase purchased two puppies from a neighbor.".
This sentence seems to have been submit by another user as a joke. It is completely irrelevant to anything else in the article, has no source, and is ENTIRELY "unconstructive" (the excuse used to undo my edit).
I submit another edit, with more "constructive" information. If you still find this unsatisfactory then PLEASE at least remove the line about the puppies.
Thanks — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 19:00, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
- I had no opinion on the 'puppies' edit. My only goal was to remove the edit that changed the line to: "Chase purchased engaged in necrophilia and cannibalism." This was unsourced. Wikipelli Talk 19:06, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
hello i see that you made no mistakes thank you for notifying me. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Weege01 (talk • contribs) 20:30, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
The changes made just now are by an employee of the museum. This is the correct information we want displayed, not the slanderous stuff that was put on here by an ex-employee — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 20:26, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
- The source of the information is not what is important. You removed information that was cited and, thus, verifiable and you did it without explanation. Wikipelli Talk 20:32, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
ANSWER THIS IMEDIATLY!
I need to know the name of the head ot the executive branch of NY. if you don't know then it is Mackenna. I feel that if you can prove me wrong well then go ahead and PROVE ME WRONG!!!! thank you for your time....... — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 20:30, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
- I don't know what the name is, and that's not important. The information that you added was formatted very poorly and contained errors in capitalization and punctuation. Additionally, you included your signature which is something not done in Wikipedia (unless on Talk pages). If the head of the executive branch is 'MacKenna', then please take your time and be careful adding this information. Please be sure to include a reliable, 3rd-party source for the information as well. Wikipelli Talk 20:36, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
What do you mean, it's not helpful? It's the first thing anyone who knows Cher's actual name says when they hear Steve mentioned. I'm adding a note to her page, too, because he just got hired at USC, which is crawling with entertainment-industry mavens and students. If someone doesn't put this info here to be found, they'll just assume. 126.96.36.199 (talk) 20:34, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
- It would seem a rather backward task to go to each 'Sarkisian' page and say who they are not related to. If someone is interested, wouldn't they just go to Cher's page? Oh, I'm not related to Cher, either, but I'd prefer you not include that on any pages. Wikipelli Talk 20:38, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
||The Anti-Vandalism Barnstar
|Great job, on keeping the vandalism at bay with ClueBot being down and all. Keep up the great work. :) Clarkcj12 (talk) 20:46, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
Hollywood Hong Kong Edit
Your accusation that my edit was not "constructive" is both vague and incorrect. You are acting as a tyrant and are guilty of the exact same thing you accused me of. I added information to the page and did nothing to alter the original author(s)' content. I understand anyone can edit a Wikipedia page, but your deletion of my work is destructive, unreasonable, arbitrary, and unjustified. It is an abuse of your privilege. Shame on you. Reading messages other people have left you. It looks like you have abused your privilege repeatedly and deleted other people's content as well. That makes you a serial offender. I wonder why people like you could be given a PhD, as you have the judgement of a 2nd grader at best, if not a kindergartener. Of course there is also the possibility that you may have faked your PhD degree in your resume. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 22:13, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
- Good morning. Thank you for your message, though I think before you engage another editor on Wikipedia, you would do well to read this. I believe that the note on your talk page was not accusatory in the least and suggested that if you had a question, I encouraged you to ask. I don't see any questions above, only a rant. Not very productive.
- All that aside, I am glad for the opportunity to explain my rationale for reverting your changes. If I erred at all, it was not being more specific about why I did this.
- The changes you made were nearly all based upon what I have to assume is your personal opinion about the symbolism in the film. Though you wrote it well, you suggest that "Most movie reviewers and critics appear to miss the symbolisms and thus the true meaning of this film." Inasmuch as this is not cited at all by any reliable source, I have to assume that you alone have made that determination. Accurate or not, it is inappropriate to include your beliefs in an encyclopedia article.
- Your additions go on to describe such things as, "Most movie reviewers and critics appear to miss the symbolisms and thus the true meaning of this film.", "the five towers also symbolizes the incredible building boom in Shanghai", and, "The 5 buildings of the Hollywood Plaza looks like 5 fingers, and is symbolic of the 5 fingered mountain in the well known Chinese novel "Journey to the West.". Again, these may or may not have been intended by those involved in the film, but the additions as you've made them represent only your opinion. Others might disagree with your evaluation.
- If these points are made in a source that you can cite, they would be acceptable in the article. Something to the effect of a reviewer writing, "Many viewers of the film note the apparent symbolism of... " or "The writer has stated that the purpose of the 5 buildings is to represent... ", etc.
- I hope you find this helpful and you understand now why I removed the addition. I do apologize for not being more clear with my explanation. If you have any other questions, I'll be pleased to answer them. Wikipelli Talk 16:04, 4 December 2013 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
||The Anti-Vandalism Barnstar
|For reverting several vandalizing edits by IP addresses. -Recent Changes Patroller NDKilla 21:07, 4 December 2013 (UTC)