Victory Road (2009)
|Victory Road (2009)|
|"My Lesson" by Silence Betrayed|
|Promotion||Total Nonstop Action Wrestling|
|Date||July 19, 2009|
|Venue||TNA Impact! Zone|
|Victory Road chronology|
Victory Road (2009) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA), which took place on July 19, 2009 at the TNA Impact! Zone in Orlando, Florida. It was the fifth event under the Victory Road chronology and was voted the worst major wrestling show of the year by the Wrestling Observer newsletter.
Victory Road featured nine professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
At Slammiversary, TNA's preceding pay per view, Kurt Angle won the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, and subsequently reclaimed his position as leader of the villainous alliance, The Main Event Mafia. Former champion and executive shareholder of the company, Mick Foley, decided to get a rematch for the title at Victory Road.
To appease Angle in getting his match, Foley also gave Main Event Mafia member, Kevin Nash, a match for the TNA Legends Championship against A.J. Styles; he also had created a chance for two other members of the Mafia in Booker T and Scott Steiner to challenge Beer Money, Inc. (the name of the tag team of Robert Roode and James Storm) for the TNA World Tag Team Championship, which they received their chance following their victory over Team 3D (Brother Devon and Brother Ray).
After allowing Angle to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary, Samoa Joe was initiated into the Main Event Mafia at the expense of its former leader, Sting, which was represented by the Mafia beating down on Sting the edition of Impact! following the show. After weeks of confrontation between Joe and Sting, it was announced on the July 9 edition of Impact! that the two would face each other at Victory Road.
Abyss had been seeing a psychiatrist for months in the form of Dr. Stevie in an attempt to overcome his sadistic desires; it came to light eventually that Stevie was physically and mentally abusing his patient and controlling him with stun guns and drugs, eventually recruiting associates (Raven and Daffney) to aid him in controlling Abyss in similar fashion, as well as threatening Abyss's love interest, Lauren Brooke. The provocation continued, and on the July 16 edition of Impact!, it was announced Abyss would face Stevie.
- "Monthly Three-hour Pay-Per-View Events". TNA Wrestling.com. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
- "Victory Road 2009". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- Martin, Adam (2009-05-28). "Location for TNA's July PPV event". WrestleView.com. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards". Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks, Inc. Discovery Communications. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Final Resolution: Dec. 9 on Pay-Per-View - Jeff Hardy vs. Bobby Roode for the World Title". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- List of Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards#Worst Major Wrestling Show
- TNAwrestling.com (Official Website of TNA Wrestling)
- TNAVictoryRoad.com (Official Website of TNA Wrestling's "Victory Road" Pay-Per-View)