Virginia Robinson Gardens
Virginia Robinson Estate
Virginia Robinson residence
and entry garden.
|Location:||1008 Elden Way, Beverly Hills, California|
|Area:||6.2 acres (2.5 ha)|
|Architectural style:||Beaux Arts, Renaissance Revival|
|Governing body:||Local (Los Angeles County, Friends of Virginia Robinson Gardens)|
|Added to NRHP:||November 15, 1978|
The Virginia Robinson Gardens are the period landscape, historic mansion, and botanical gardens located at the Virginia Robinson Estate ( 6-acre (0.024 km2) ) in Beverly Hills, California, United States.
The Virginia Robinson Gardens are a representation of an early twentieth century estate. Harry and Virginia Robinson were known for their department store called Robinson’s and civic philanthropy. They built the main house in 1911, in a Beaux Arts style. The residence is furnished with antiques and artifacts collected from around the world.
The Renaissance Revival Pool Pavilion was built in 1924 and is modeled after the Villa Pisani in the Tuscan region of Italy. Decorative panels of Sgraffito ornamentation adorn the Roman arches at the entry to the pavilion's Solarium. The Pavilion overlooks a long pool with mosaic tile wainscoting.
The Virginia Robinson Gardens range in style and plant type from Italian Renaissance Mediterranean to Tropical Oceanea.
The Estate has five distinctive Gardens
- The Italian Renaissance Terrace Garden, with views of mature specimen trees and Citrus Terraces. Planted under large Magnolia Trees are a variety of Camellias, Gardenias, and Azaleas.
- The Formal Mall Garden, with perennial flower borders and rare specimen Cycad 'palms'.
- The Rose Garden, with heirloom Roses.
- The Kitchen Garden or Potager, with vegetables and an Herb Garden.
- The Tropical Palm Garden, including a grove of King Palms (Archontophoenix cunninghamiana), reportedly the largest in the continental United States. The tropical area also contains Gingers, Bananas, and Plumerias.
The Robinson Gardens are managed by the County of Los Angeles and open to the public for Docent Tours by advanced reservation only. The Friends of Virginia Robinson Gardens support this landmark. It was listed in 1978 on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also a state listed California Point of Historical Interest, and on the City of Beverly Hills Local Register of Historic Properties.  
See also 
- California Historical Landmarks in Los Angeles County, California
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Los Angeles County, California
- List of botanical gardens in the United States
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Beverly Hills Courier; "Six Beverly Hills Properties Named Local Historic Landmarks"; Jan. 30, 2013 . accessed 2.9.2013
- Supervisor Yaroslavsky blog: "Beverly Hills cultivates some history." - February 2013 . accessed 2.9.2013
- Official Virginia Robinson Gardens Park website
- Friends of Virginia Robinson Gardens - Tours + Information website
|This article about a property in California on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|