We Are Family (album)
|We Are Family|
|Studio album by Sister Sledge|
|Released||January 1979 (US)
30 April 1979 (UK)
|Recorded||1978-1979 at The Power Station, New York City, New York|
|Genre||Pop, disco, soul, funk|
|Sister Sledge chronology|
|Robert Christgau||B+ |
We Are Family is a 1979 album by Sister Sledge. The album was written and produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of the band Chic, and includes four hit singles: the anthemic title track, "He's the Greatest Dancer", "Lost in Music", and "Thinking of You", all four of which have been sampled, remixed, and reissued through the 80's, 90's and 2000's.
Chic worked with Sister Sledge, who had signed to Atlantic in 1973, at the inspiration of Atlantic president Jerry Greenberg. Nile Rodgers remembered later; " That's why we came up with We Are Family. [-] Everything he said about them gave us a picture of them. You've got to remember, we never even met them. [-] All of the content on that record came from that one day with the president [-] I was fascinated and enthralled by the concept of people who loved music who could be 'nice girls' in the midst of the whole disco era."
Nile Rodgers has written that of the various albums produced by The Chic Organization for themselves and others, "pound for pound, I think We Are Family is our best album hands down."  The lead vocals to We Are Family were recorded in a single take by the then 18 year old Kathy Sledge. "He's the Greatest Dancer" was the first single from the album and became the group's first major hit, reaching the pop top ten and number one on the R&B chart.
We Are Family was digitally remastered and reissued on CD by Rhino Records in 1995.
- Side A
- "He's the Greatest Dancer" – 6:16
- "Lost In Music" – 4:52
- "Somebody Loves Me" – 4:59
- "Thinking of You" – 4:31
- "We Are Family" – 8:24
- "Easier to Love" – 5:05
- "You're a Friend to Me" – 5:31
- "One More Time" – 3:17
1995 remastered cd bonus tracks
- "We Are Family (Sure Is Pure Remix)" – 8:05
- "We Are Family (Steve Anderson DMC Remix)" – 8:13
- "Lost in Music (Sure Is Pure Remix)" – 8:38
- "Lost in Music (1984 Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers Remix)" – 6:37
- Kathy Sledge - Lead VocalsTrk. 1, 3, 4, 5
- Debbie Sledge - Lead Vocals "You're a Friend to Me"
- Joni Sledge - Lead Vocals "Lost in Music", "Easier to Love"
- Kim Sledge - Lead Vocals "One More Time".
- Nile Rodgers - Guitar
- Bernard Edwards - Bass
- Tony Thompson - Drums
- Robert Sabino - Piano, Clavinet
- Raymond Jones - Keyboards, Fender Rhodes
- Andy Schwartz - Piano
- Sammy Figueroa - Percussion
- Jon Faddis, Ellen Seeling - Trumpet
- Barry Rogers - Trombone
- Jean Fineberg - Saxophone
- Alex Foster - Saxophone, Flute
- Gene Orloff - Concert Master
- Cheryl Hong, Marianne Carroll, Karen Milne (The Chic Strings) - Strings
- Luther Vandross, Norma Jean Wright, David Lasley, Alfa Anderson, Diva Gray - Backing Vocals
- Simon LeBon - Additional vocals on "Lost in Music" (1984 mix)
- Andy Taylor - Additional vocals on "Lost in Music" (1984 mix)
|Billboard Pop Albums||3|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||1|
|1979||"He's the Greatest Dancer"||9||1||1|
|"We Are Family"||2||1|
|"Lost in Music"||—||35|
- Henderson, Alex. We Are Family > review at AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- Christgau, Robert. "We Are Family > review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- Starr, Red. "Albums". Smash Hits (May 3–16, 1979): 25.
- Turn The Beat Around, Peter Shapiro, p.163
- Nile Rodgers (2011). Le Freak. Little, Brown & Company, London. ISBN 9-781-84744-314-4.
- Turn The Beat Around, Peter Shapiro, p.165
- "Sister Sledge US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- "Sister Sledge US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-13.