Wendy and Lucy
|Wendy and Lucy|
|Directed by||Kelly Reichardt|
|Produced by||Larry Fassenden
|Written by||Kelly Reichardt
|Distributed by||Oscilloscope Laboratories|
|Running time||80 minutes|
Wendy and Lucy is a 2008 American drama film directed by Kelly Reichardt. Reichardt and Jon Raymond adapted the screenplay from his short story "Train Choir". The film stars Michelle Williams and Will Patton. It had its world premiere at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival and was screened at several additional film festivals before receiving a limited theatrical release in the United States on December 10, 2008.
Wendy Carroll (Michelle Williams) is a young woman who sets her sights on Alaska in hopes of starting a new life with her dog Lucy, travelling in her car with limited supplies and a straining budget of a little over $500 left for the trip. Stranded in Oregon when her car breaks down and lacking the funds to repair it, Wendy faces yet another challenge when she is apprehended for shoplifting and Lucy disappears while she is in police custody.
- Michelle Williams as Wendy Carroll
- Will Patton as Mechanic
- Walter Dalton as Security Guard
- Will Oldham as Icky
- John Robinson as Andy
- Deirdre O'Connell as Deb
- Lucy as Herself
- Larry Fessenden as Man in Park
Top ten lists
The film appeared on many critics' top ten lists of the best films of 2008, including those of the Chicago Reader, New York Post, Newsweek, The Austin Chronicle, LA Weekly, The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, The Oregonian, Slate, The Village Voice, and The Christian Science Monitor.
- Solomon, Deborah (November 28, 2008), Questions for Kelly Reichardt Social Realist, New York, New York: New York Times, p. MM14.
- . Toronto http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081217.TOPTEN17/TPStory/Entertainment. Missing or empty
- "Best of the Aughts: Film". Slant Magazine. Retrieved February 10, 2010.
- "Metacritic: 2008 Film Critic Top Ten Lists". Metacritic. Retrieved January 11, 2009.[dead link]
- Wendy and Lucy
- Wendy and Lucy at Rotten Tomatoes
- Wendy and Lucy at the Internet Movie Database
- Metronatural America movie review by Jonathan Raban from The New York Review of Books