Whigfield, October 2013
|Birth name||Sannie Charlotte Carlson|
11 April 1970 |
|Occupations||Singer, actress, songwriter, record producer|
Sannie Charlotte Carlson (born 11 April 1970), best known as Whigfield and also as Naan, is a Danish born, Italian based Eurodance singer best known for the song "Saturday Night" which was a worldwide hit in 1994. Singles from her following albums were also very popular across Europe and Asia in the mid '90s and were produced by Italian producer Larry Pignagnoli.
Sannie Charlotte Carlson was born in Skælskør, Denmark. She spent several years in Africa as a child before returning to her native country. Before singing Sannie worked as a very successful model and studied music. When she met the producer Larry Pignagnoli, who also produces Benny Benassi, Katla, In-Grid, Ally & Jo, Ann Lee, Spagna, J.K., Dhany and others, the artist "Whigfield" was born. The name "Whigfield" is a tribute to her piano teacher.
Sannie Charlotte Carlson rose to prominence when she signed to Italian based record company X-Energy. Her single "Saturday Night" entered the Top-5 in Italy as well as in other European markets in October 1995. It didn't take long for the single to become a Europe-wide hit at the end of 1994 and the beginning of 1995. It hit the Top-5 in majority of European markets, and even managed to top the charts in Germany, UK, Switzerland. It was also the single which prevented Wet Wet Wet from reaching a record-equalling 16th week at number 1 in the UK. While "Saturday Night" is considered the biggest hit by Whigfield, her single "Another Day" also managed to peak at No.3 in Italy where she was then based. "The single "Another Day" did also well in number of other markets where it entered the Top-10 including UK, Switzerland, Norway and her native Denmark.
Later singles include "Think of You", "Close To You", "Last Christmas", "Gimme Gimme" and "Sexy Eyes". "Gimme Gimme" and "Sexy Eyes" reached No. 14 and No. 6 in Australia, respectively, and they were the only two significant charting hits in that country.
Like the group Milli Vanilli, Whigfield was accused of not singing her own songs. This was because she did all her live performances lip synching (miming to a backing track). "Saturday Night" was produced by Larry Pignagnoli and Davide Riva, two Italian producers known for a variety of Eurodance projects, who usually worked with vocalists such as Daniela Galli (better known as Dhany), Annerley Gordon (aka Ann Lee) and Sandy Chambers. Another Pignagnoli project, Ally & Jo, featured a similar voice to Whigfield's but different faces in the CD cover and led to the accusations.
In October 2007, Whigfield released All In One, a greatest hits album with past hits being resung with newer, modern beats. The album included updated versions of "Think of You", "Gotta Getcha", "Sexy Eyes", "Givin All My Love", "No Tears To Cry", "Was A Time", "Close To You", "Out Of Sight", "Another Day", and her biggest hit, "Saturday Night". The album also includes two new songs, "Rainbow" and "Right in the Night", a cover version of Jam & Spoon's track. On 18 December, she released her first single in three years, "Think of You", which contains mixes from Mathieu Bouthier & Muttonheads and Gabry Ponte. A second single "Right In The Night" was released in May 2008, which peaked at No. 4 on the Eurodance.com Interactive Chart. A third single was released "Saturday Night (Klm Mixes)" in late 2008 which contains 20 new mixes.
However successful Whigfield became on the international marketplace, the only place where she has yet to achieve major commercial success, is the United States. Although she placed both "Saturday Night" and "Another Day" on the Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart in 1995, with "Night" peaking at No. 19 and "Day" coming in at No. 21, respectively. In the years 1994-1997 Whigfield sold more records than Oasis and Blur combined, although in a 1998 interview she accepted that she was not a bigger influence on mainstream music than either band.
Whigfield has since written and performed many dance songs for groups such as Benny Benassi, changed her performance name to Naan, and is still involved in the industry. In 2005, Whigfield appeared on the Benassi Bros album Phobia, writing and singing on two songs, "Feel Alive" and "Rocket In The Sky". Whigfield choose to record these under the name Naan, and also used that name to record "Come A Little Closer" with Malomodo, and "Yes U R" and some vocals in "People Of The Night" with the European DJ Favretto. Whigfield also wrote the lyrics for "It's Summertime", performed by the Spanish singer Katla, which was released in October 2005.
Whigfield is still currently involved in songwriting, producing and recording. More recently she wrote the lyrics for the hit "Who's Your Daddy", performed by Benny Benassi. "Feel Alive" was also released in 2006, however, the vocals on the single release are performed by Sandy. Also vocals were re-recorded by Dhany for the single release of "Rocket In The Sky". She also wrote "Put 'Em Up" for singer Edun, which was a hit on the Billboard Hot Dance Airplay chart, where it peaked at number 3 in August 2007.
"C'est Cool" (which is French for "It's Cool") was released in June 2011, and had Top 10 success by reaching No. 9 in Denmark.
Whigfield released a new single on iTunes 7 September 2012 called "4Ever".
A new album made up of entirely new tracks, entitled "W", was released as a digital download on 28 September 2012. It includes the two singles "C'est Cool" and "4Ever". The 'W' album is also available on CD format via the CreateSpace website (CreateSpace is owned by Amazon).
A special edition of the album entitled "W - Pro" was released digitally on 5 October 2012 and it includes extended versions and extended instrumentals of all the tracks contained on the original 'W' album.
On 23 October 2012 Whigfield commented on her official Facebook page that she is currently working on the next "W" music video and is also writing/composing for new future projects.
The 30 November 2012, saw the release of the single "Jeg Kommer Hjem" ("I'm Coming Home" in Danish). This is the third track taken from the 'W' album. The music video for the song was released to the public on 7 December 2012 and can be viewed via the YouTube and Vimeo websites.
A new version of the 'W' album entitled "W - Extra Edition" containing the original arranged mixes of the same tracklist was released on 14 December 2012. It has been released digitally on iTunes, junodownload.com and Beatport.com. Just like the original 'W' album the 'Extra Edition' is also available on CD format from the CreateSpace website.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|"—" denotes items which were not released in that country or failed to chart.|
|All in One|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Think of You"||1995||4||—||—||12||25||25||4||7||3||—||17||7|
|"Close to You"||—||—||—||—||—||90||18||—||19||—||—||13|
|"Gimme Gimme"||—||14||—||—||—||—||—||—||4||—||—||—||Whigfield II|
|"No Tears to Cry"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||60||—||—|
|"Givin' All My Love"||1998||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Be My Baby"||1999||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Whigfield III|
|"Gotta Getcha"||2002||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Whigfield 4|
|"Was a Time"||2004||—||—||—||—||—||74||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Right in the Night"||2008||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||All in One|
|"No Doubt"||2009||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"Jeg kommer hjem"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Saturday Night (2013 Version)
|"—" denotes items which were not released in that country or failed to chart.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Saturday Night (2003 Version)"||2003||19||Non-album single|
|"Think of You (2007 Version)"||2007||—||All in One|
|"C'est Cool (XMas Mix)"||2012||—||Non-album single|
- Billboard: Italian Acts (page-74). Billboard magazine. 1995-07-01. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "::: sannie carlson aka whigfield | the official fansite :::". Home.arcor.de. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- Billboard: Hits of the World (page-58). Billboard magazine. 1994-10-29. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Hitparade.ch: Whigfiled (Saturday Night)". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Official Chart Company: Whigfield". Official Chart Company. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Number 1 Singles of the 1990s". everyHit.com. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- Billboard: Hits of the World (page-38). Billboard magazine. 1995-01-14. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Hitparade.ch: Whigfiled (Another Day)". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- Billboard: Hits of the World (page-61). Billboard magazine. 1995-01-14. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Sexy Eyes" and "Gimme Gimme" on the 1997 ARIA End Of Year Chart. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Naan | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- "Australian-charts.com: Whigfield". australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "RPM: Top Albums/CDs - Volume 62, No. 6, September 11, 1995". RPM (magazine). Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Finnishcharts.com: Whigfield". finnishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Charts.de: Whigfield (Albums)". Media Control. Charts.de. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "GfK Dutch Charts: Whigfield". GfK Dutch Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Hitparade.ch: Whigfield (Albums)". Hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Official Charts Company: Whigfield". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "BPI: Certified Awards". BPI. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- Peak positions for Italy:
- For "Saturday Night", "Another Day": "Hit Parade Italia: I singoli più venduti del 1994". hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- For "Think of You", "Big Time": "Hit Parade Italia: I singoli più venduti del 1995". hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Austriancharts.at: Whigfield". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Ultratop Vlaanderen: Whigfield". Ultratop. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Lescharts.com: Whigfield". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Charts.de: Whigfield (Singles)". Media Control. Charts.de. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "The Irish Charts: Search the Charts". IRMA. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Media Markt Top 40: Whigfield". Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com: Whigfield". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Hitparade.ch: Whigfield (Singles)". Hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "SNEP: Certifications - année 1995". SNEP. Info Disc. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Whigfield; 'Saturday Night')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- "Danishcharts.com: Whigfield". danishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-02-06.