Location in Shelby County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||10.9 sq mi (28.4 km2)|
|• Land||9.8 sq mi (25.5 km2)|
|• Water||1.1 sq mi (2.9 km2)|
|Elevation||423 ft (129 m)|
|• Density||142.3/sq mi (54.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0129101|
Wilsonville is a town in southeastern Shelby County, Alabama, United States. It is northeast of Columbiana. At the 2010 census the population was 1,867. Wilsonville is named after the earliest settler in the area, Elisha Wilson.
Wilsonville is located at (33.234924, -86.486283).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 11.0 square miles (28 km2), of which, 9.9 square miles (26 km2) of it is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) of it (10.21%) is water.
At the time of the census of 2010, there were 1,867 people, 610 households, and 486 families residing in the town. The population density was 157.5 people per square mile (60.8/km²). There were 699 housing units at an average density of 71.0 per square mile (27.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 92.52% White, 5.22% Black or African American, 0.90% Native American, 0.77% Asian, 0.26% from other races, and 0.32% from two or more races. 0.58% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 610 households out of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.9% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.3% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.5% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 26.6% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $42,105, and the median income for a family was $48,409. Males had a median income of $40,263 versus $25,598 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,112. About 4.5% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.8% of those under age 18 and 5.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Laurie C. Battle (May 10, 1912 - May 2, 2000). U.S. Representative from Alabama
- Howard Hill (November 13, 1899 - February 4, 1975). World-famous archer and stunt archer for Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood.
- E. B. Teague (1820-1902), prominent Alabama Baptist minister of the 19th Century. Helped organize Wilsonville Baptist Church in 1879.
- Foscue, Virginia (1989). Place Names in Alabama. Tuscaloosa: The University of Alabama Press. p. 149. ISBN 0-8173-0410-X.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.