"Iceman" Wim Hof immersed in an ice bath
20 April 1959 |
Sittard, Limburg, Netherlands
Hof holds twenty world records including a world record for longest ice bath. He broke his previous world record by staying immersed in ice for 1 hour, 13 minutes and 48 seconds at Guinness World Records 2008. The night before, he performed the feat on the Today Show.
Wim describes his ability to withstand extreme cold temperatures as being able to "turn his own thermostat up" by using his mind.
In 2009 Hof completed a full marathon (42.195 kilometres (26.219 mi)), above the polar circle in Finland, in temperatures close to −20 °C (−4 °F). Dressed in nothing but shorts, Hof finished in 5 hours and 25 minutes. The challenge was filmed by Firecrackerfilms, who make productions for BBC, Channel 4 and National Geographic.
In 2011 Hof broke the ice endurance record twice, in Inzell in February and in New York in November. The Guinness World Record is now set for 1 hour and 52 minutes and 42 seconds by Hof. On 18 April, Hof got the test results regarding the "The influence of concentration/meditation on autonomic nervous system activity and the innate immune response" case study, demonstrating that he is able to directly influence his own Autonomic Nervous System and Immune System. Hof seems to be able to raise his cortisol levels and lower the amount of cytokines (flammatory bodies) just by using his meditation techniques. A different study on Hof while immersed in ice showed that Hof suppressed the cytokines by 100 percent. In September 2011, Hof also ran a full marathon in the Namib Desert without water. The run was performed under the supervision of Dr. Thijs Eijsvogels.
He was born in the Dutch town of Sittard. He has six brothers and two sisters along with four children from a prior marriage, and a son, born in 2003, with his current wife.
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (January 2014)|
After 30 years of training and exposing himself to extreme environments, Hof is teaching people his methods. According to Hof, the human body has the ability to control itself more than is generally accepted. In March 2011, Hof founded the company Innerfire together with his oldest son. The company goals are to help people master the parasympathetic nervous system through meditation and the sympathetic nervous system through exercise.
Becoming the Iceman
In November 2011 Hof and his student Justin Rosales published Becoming the Iceman, a book documenting their background, adventures, training, exclusive methods and exercises used to attain the ability to endure extreme temperatures. The book proposes that it is possible for anyone to control his own body temperature.
Fact or Faked
On 19 April 2012, an episode of the US television program Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, featuring Hof, was broadcast. Hof was tested against a member of the team named Austin, both sitting in a tank full of ice. Austin sat in the tank for about 20 minutes, with his surface body temperature falling to forty degrees Fahrenheit. When he got out of the water, the other two team members used a heat camera to reveal that his body was at about forty degrees Fahrenheit. Hof's core body temperature stayed the same for the entire twenty minutes, as did his heart rate.
In research done by the Radbout university Wim Hof trained a group of 12 volunteers to prove the immune system can be modulated. He had already proven in 2011 the ability to control his own immune system.  
- Joseph Angier, March 7, 2008, ABC News, Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy', Accessed April 14, 2014
- Background information Hof, Hof Outdoor
- Wim Hof reached Mount Kilimanjaro footage
- "Dutch Iceman to climb Everest in shorts: It's all about the inner fire", MountEverest.net
- "Everest climber falls short", The Age, 29 May 2007. Online copy
- Wim's marathon
- "'Iceman' Wim Hof breekt wereldrecord ijsstaan" ['Ice man' Wim Hof breaks world record for staying in ice water]. AT5 Nieuws (in Dutch) (Amsterdam). 3 January 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2012. "Hij stond 1 uur en 44 minuten tot en met zijn nek in het ijs (He stood up to his neck in ice water for 1 hour and 44 minutes)"
- Wim Hof info
- info about the scientific results of different studies available
- Iceman goes heat
- "Wim Hof - The Iceman and Innerfire" at www.innerfire.nl/en-home
- Becoming the Iceman - Official Website 11/15/2012
- http://www.syfy.com/factorfaked/episodes/season/2/episode/213/the_grim_sleeper_the_real_mr_freeze. Missing or empty
- "Modulating your immune response".
- "Immuunsysteem is bewust te beïnvloeden".
- Wim Hof´s official website
- The Iceman's Book, "Becoming the Iceman" – Wim Hof Method included
- Everything about the Wim Hof Method
- Hof Outdoor Activities with Wim Hof
- 57 meters swim under ice on YouTube
- BrainWave: Mystic Fire Discussion with Wim Hof and Dr. Kenneth - Rubin Museum of Art Event Calendar
- Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy'