||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (May 2010)|
|Intercommunality||Hauts de Bièvre|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Régis Roy-Chevalier|
|• Land1||9.11 km2 (3.52 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||580/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||91689 / 91320|
|Elevation||48–99 m (157–325 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Inhabitants of Wissous are known as Wissoussiens.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2010)|
Wissous appears in an 11th-century French manuscript as a town called "Vizoor." The first mayor of Wissous was elected in 1790. Wissous experienced significant development since the beginning of the 20th century, with its population increasing by eightfold from 1900 to 2011.
OpenSkies, an airline, is headquartered in Paray Vieille Poste, near Wissous. Prior to its re-establishment as OpenSkies, the airline L'Avion (Elysair SAS) was headquartered in that location. Kyocera Fineceramics Group has its design centre in Orlytech in Paray-Vieille-Poste, near Wissous.
Coat of arms and logo
The coat of arms contains three fleurs de lys, symbolizing Ile-de-France, on an azure background. On a red background, there are six ears of corn, which represent the agricultural activity in the commune. Each two ears have one gear underneath; the gears represent the importance of economic activity. The commune's logo, placed on official documents, has one fleur de lys, one gear, and one ear of corn.
Wissous old Station of SNCF French Rail
- "Plan de Wissous." Wissous. Retrieved on 6 October 2009.
- "Histoire de la ville." Wissous. Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- "Contact Us." OpenSkies. Retrieved on 21 June 2009.
- "Contact." L'Avion. Retrieved on 1 September 2009.
- "Sales Offices: Micro-Electronic Packages, Fiber Optic Components and Ultra High Vacuum Products." Kyocera Europe. Retrieved on 8 February 2011.
- "Blason et logo." Wissous. Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- Official website (French)
- Old official website (French)
- Mérimée database - Cultural heritage (French)
- Land use (IAURIF) (English)