Visser at the 2010 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival
|Also known as||Yo-Landi Visser
Anica The Snuffling
3 March 1984 |
Port Alfred, Eastern Cape, South Africa
|Genres||Alternative hip hop, rave, electronic|
|Labels||Zef Recordz, Cherrytree, Polydor, Rhythm Records|
The Constructus Corporation
Yolandi was a part of the music and art groups The Constructus Corporation and MaxNormal.tv. The Constructus Corporation was a project that produced a concept album/graphic novel. MaxNormal.tv was a South African 'corporate' hip-hop group in which Yolandi's role was portraying Max Normal's personal assistant. She appeared in several of their music/art videos.
Die Antwoord is a rap-rave group consisting of Yolandi Visser, Ninja (Watkin Tudor Jones) and DJ Hi-Tek (Justin de Nobrega). The band self-identifies as a melange of several diverse cultures all mixed into one. Die Antwoord identifies their style as "Zef" music, Zef being an Afrikaans term which loosely translates to the culture of working class white South Africans, especially those residing in Cape Town. Their lyrics are performed in both Afrikaans and English. Visser sings and raps.
Their debut album $O$ was made available as a free download on their official website. In late 2009, South African cinematographer Rob Malpage co-directed (with Ninja), co-produced (with Zef Films and Die Antwoord) and filmed the video for their single "Enter the Ninja." The promo became a viral video on the internet nine months later, delivering millions of hits to the official Die Antwoord website, eventually crashing the website's server.
- The Ziggurat (2003)
- With MaxNormal.TV
- Rap Made Easy (2007)
- Good Morning South Africa (2008)
- With Die Antwoord
- "Anything But Normal". September 9, 2008. Archived from the original on March 21, 2010.
- "The Constructus Corporation". Discogs.
- Jones, Michelle (February 13, 2012). "Band have the answer to secret of success". IOL. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Who the Hell Are Die Antwoord?, Pitchfork Media
- 24 Facts: Die Antwoord, Channel24
- Ziggurat - African Dope Records
- S.African Afrikaans rappers takes Internet by storm Reuters. Accessed 10:20, 6 February 2010 (UTC).
- 15 Minutes With a Ninja Mahala
- Wat Pomp Lyrics Wat Pomp
- Editor was Luke Apteker. Die Antwoord – Enter the Ninja Music Video
- Coetzer, Diane (2012-01-31). "Chappie". BD (Bloody Disgusting). p. 1. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Coetzer, Diane (2012-01-31). "Die Antwoord: The Rolling Stone Interview". Rolling Stone Magazine (South African Edition) (Rolling Stone). p. 1. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Ryder, Caroline (2015-02-26). "Yo-landi Visser: dark star". Dazed Digital (Dazed Digital). p. 1. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Yolandi Visser at the Internet Movie Database
- Yolandi Visser Discography at discogs.com
- The Constructus Corporation Discography at discogs.com
- Die Antwoord site
- Die Antwoord before they were Die Antwoord
- Zef Recordz