Yolandi Visser at the Coachella Oasis 2010
|Also known as||Yo-Landi Vi$$er
Anica The Snuffling
|Genres||Alternative hip hop, rave, electronic|
|Years active||2001 – present|
|Labels||Zef Recordz, Cherrytree, Polydor, Rhythm Records|
The Constructus Corporation
Yolandi Visser (styled as Yo-Landi Vi$$er, born Anri du Toit) is a South African singer and rapper who co-fronts the rap-rave group Die Antwoord. She was also part of the music and art groups MaxNormal.TV and The Constructus Corporation.
"MaxNormal.tv" was a South African 'corporate' hip-hop group in which Yolandi's role was as personal assistant to the front-man Max Normal (Watkin Tudor Jones). She appeared in several MaxNormal.tv music/art videos.
The Constructus Corporation
The Constructus Corporation was a project that released a concept album/graphic novel pairing The Ziggurat, which was released in December 2002. It consisted of an 88-page pink hard-covered book, which contained a hand-written hiphop fantasy story written by Watkin Tudor Jones, and a bonus blank CD, which came with instructions for fans to fill it with a freely downloadable second album of music and narration. The Constructus Corporation disbanded in early 2003.
Die Antwoord is an experimental rap group consisting of Yo-landi Vi$$er, Ninja (Jones) and DJ Hi-Tek (Justin de Nobrega). The band self-identifies as a melange of several diverse cultures all mixed into one. Die Antwoord identifies their style as "Zef" music, Zef being an Afrikaans term which loosely translates to the culture of working class white South Africans, especially those residing in Cape Town. Their lyrics are performed in both Afrikaans and English. Visser sings and raps.
Their debut album $O$ was made available as a free download on their official website. In late 2009, South African cinematographer Rob Malpage co-directed (with Waddy), co-produced (with Zef Films and Die Antwoord) and filmed the video for their single "Enter the Ninja." The promo became a viral video on the internet nine months later, delivering millions of hits to the official Die Antwoord website, eventually crashing the website's server.
- The Ziggurat (2003)
- With MaxNormal.TV
- With Die Antwoord
- Jones, Michelle (February 13, 2012). "Band have the answer to secret of success". IOL. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Who the Hell Are Die Antwoord?, Pitchfork Media
- 24 Facts: Die Antwoord, Channel24
- Coetzer, Diane (2012-01-31). "Die Antwoord: The Rolling Stone Interview". Rolling Stone Magazine (South African Edition) (Rolling Stone). p. 1. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Ziggurat - African Dope Records
- S.African Afrikaans rappers takes Internet by storm Reuters. Accessed 10:20, 6 February 2010 (UTC).
- 15 Minutes With a Ninja Mahala
- Wat Pomp Lyrics Wat Pomp
- Editor was Luke Apteker. Die Antwoord – Enter the Ninja Music Video
- "A Heart-to-Heart with Die Antwoord".
- Yolandi Visser at the Internet Movie Database
- Yolandi Visser Discography at discogs.com
- The Constructus Corporation Discography at discogs.com
- Die Antwoord site
- Die Antwoord before they were Die Antwoord
- Zef Recordz