You're So Good to Me
|"You're So Good to Me"|
|Single by The Beach Boys|
|from the album Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)|
|A-side||"Sloop John B"|
|Released||July 5, 1965 (album)|
|Recorded||May 24, 1965
United Western Recorders and CBS Columbia Square. Hollywood
|Writer(s)||Brian Wilson/Mike Love|
|The Beach Boys singles chronology|
"You're So Good to Me" is a song by American rock band The Beach Boys. It was originally released on June 5, 1965 by Capitol Records, on the album Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). The track was later included as the B-side of the group's single "Sloop John B", which was released on March 21, 1966. MOJO later wrote that the song was the closest the group had come to northern soul.
The basic track for "You're So Good to Me" was recorded at Western Studios in early May 1965. Take 24 was used as the master. On May 24, the lead and backing vocals for the song were recorded at Columbia Studios.
- The Beach Boys
- Al Jardine – harmony and backing vocals; bass guitar, electric guitar
- Bruce Johnston – harmony and backing vocals; organ; handclaps
- Mike Love – harmony and backing vocals; handclaps
- Brian Wilson – lead, harmony and backing vocals; piano; handclaps
- Carl Wilson – harmony and backing vocals; lead guitar
- Dennis Wilson – drums; handclaps
- Additional musicians
- The Langley Schools Music Project recorded a version of "You're So Good to Me" on their 1976 LP Lochiel, Glenwood, and South Carvolth Schools.
- A cover version was performed by Velocity Girl on their Merge Records 7" from 1994. It was the B-side to "Your Silent Face", a cover of the song by New Order.
- On the 2001 release An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson, Wilson Phillips sang a cover version and mentioned the love that Wendy and Carnie have for their father, and for Chynna Phillips.
- A cover version of "You're So Good To Me" is a hidden track at the end of Paul Melançon's 2002 Daemon Records release Camera Obscura.
- "You're So Good to Me" was covered by Math and Physics Club on their 2005 EP, Movie Ending Romance.
- The British vocal group Design released a version of "You're So Good To Me" as a single on EMI Records in 1976.
The song has been played live many times throughout the years. Given Brian Wilson's frequent absence from the touring group, Al Jardine has sung the lead vocals on the song during its live history. However, during the band's 50th Anniversary Tour, Wilson sang the lead vocals on the song. He had previously sung the song live on his solo tours, although infrequently.
- Leaf, David (1990). Today/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) (Media notes). The Beach Boys. California: Capitol Records. 72435-27945-2-2.
- Hickey, Andrew (2011). The Beach Boys On CD vol 1: 1961 - 1969.
- Mojo Staff (April 24, 2015). "The Beach Boys’ 50 Greatest Songs". MOJO.
- Doe, Andrew G. (2012). "GIGS65". Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Doe, Andrew G. (2012). "MONOSTEREO". Retrieved October 26, 2012.