Zurich University of Applied Sciences
|Zurich University of Applied Sciences|
Prof. Thomas D. Meier
Prof. Jean-Marc Piveteau
Prof. Walter Bircher
Prof. Jacques Bischoff
|Location||Zurich, Winterthur and Wädenswil, Canton of Zurich, Switzerland|
The Zurich University of Applied Sciences (German: Zürcher Fachhochschule, ZFH) is a governing body composed of four separate universities. It is located in the city of Winterthur, with facilities in Zurich and Wädenswil, is the second largest University in Switzerland after the University of Zurich.
Currently, the Zürcher Fachhochschule encompasses 4 universities, covering fields of study such as architecture and civil engineering, health, linguistics, life sciences and facility management, applied psychology, social work, engineering and management and law… All fields of study
- Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) (German: Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften ZHAW)
- Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Business Administration (HWZ) (German: Hochschulen für Wirtschaft Zürich HWZ)
- Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK)(German: Zürcher Hochschule der Künste ZHdK)
- Zurich University of Teacher Education (PHZH)(German: Pädagogischen Hochschule Zürich PHZH)
The Zürcher Fachhochschule was founded in 1998.
History of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
The Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) was founded in September 2007, when the previously independent institutions Zurich University of Applied Sciences Winterthur, University of Applied Sciences Wädenswil, the School of Social Work and the School of Applied Psychology in Zurich merged. The former Zurich University of Applied Sciences Winterthur was itself made up out of schools with long histories: the Technikum Winterthur was founded in 1874 as Switzerland's largest engineering school, and the Höhere Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungsschule was established in 1968. Both schools were the first of their kind in Switzerland.
A total of 36 Bachelor, 24 consecutive Master degree programmes and one Doctor of Business Administration (with Partner University) are currently offered. The general language of courses is German (Hochdeutsch). Notably all lectures at the School of Management and Law's bachelor programme in International Management are held in English, as are courses for exchange students. Generally, there is an increasing use of English observed in many other programmes.
The university has buildings scattered throughout the cities of Winterthur and Zurich, as well as campus-like facilities in Wädenswil. Despite the fact that the schools and institutes are not all centrally located, students are rarely (if ever) required to relocate to other venues. 8 libraries are available for use by members of the university, as are the six on-location canteens.
Apart from dealing with all issues relevant to studies at universities connect to the Zürcher Fachhochschule, the university student association (VSZHAW) organises student parties and sells study materials and laptop computers in its own shop. The Academic Sports Association (ASVZ) offers a wide range of sports facilities to students. Among many other student groups, there is also a section of the Erasmus Student Network in Winterthur.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zürcher Fachhochule.|
- Zürcher Fachhochschule
- website of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
- website of the Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK)
- website of the Zurich University of Teacher Education (PHZH)
- website of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Business Administration (HWZ)
- Erasmus Student Network Winterthur
- English web portal of the city of Winterthur
- Information about the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
- Student housing in Winterthur (in German)