101st Ohio Infantry
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|101st Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||August 30, 1862, to June 12, 1865|
|Engagements||Defense of Cincinnati
Battle of Perryville
Battle of Stones River
Battle of Chickamauga
Siege of Chattanooga
Battle of Lookout Mountain
Battle of Rocky Face Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
Second Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The regiment was attached to:
- 31st Brigade, 9th Division, Army of the Ohio, September 1862.
- 31st Brigade, 9th Division, III Corps, Army of the Ohio, to November 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Right Wing, XIV Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, XX Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, IV Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to June 1865.
The 101st Ohio Infantry mustered out of service at Nashville, Tennessee, on June 12, 1865.
The regiment lost a total of 236 men during service; 9 officers and 86 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 1 officer and 140 enlisted men died of disease.
- Colonel Leander Stem - killed in action at the battle of Stones River
- Colonel Isaac M. Kirby - commanded at the battle of Stones River as major
- Lieutenant Colonel Moses F. Wooster - commanded at the battle of Stones River
- Lieutenant Colonel John Messer - commanded at the battle of Chickamauga
- Lieutenant Colonel Bedan B. McDonald - commanded at the battle of Stones River as captain, at the battle of Chickamauga as major, and at the battle of Nashville as lieutenant colonel
- Captain Leonard D. Smith - commanded at the battle of Chickamauga
- Chaplain Erastus Milo Cravath - a founder of Fisk University and its president for 25 years
- Private George S. Myers, Company F - Medal of Honor recipient for action at the battle of Chickamauga
- 1st Lieutenant George Ebbert Seney, quartermaster - U.S. Representative from Ohio, 1883–1891
- Private Jacob F. Yeager, Company H - Medal of Honor recipient for action at the battle of Rocky Face Ridge
- Butler, Jay Caldwell. Letters Home (Birmingham, NY: s.n.), 1930.
- Day, L. W. Story of the One Hundred and First Ohio Infantry: A Memorial Volume (Cleveland, OH: W. M. Bayne Print. Co.), 1894.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion (Des Moines, IA: Dyer Pub. Co.), 1908.
- Green, Charles R. Volunteer Service in Army of Cumberland (Olathe, KS: s.n.), 1914.
- Ohio Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War on the Rebellion, 1861–1865, Compiled Under the Direction of the Roster Commission (Akron, OH: Werner Co.), 1886-1895.
- Reid, Whitelaw. Ohio in the War: Her Statesmen, Her Generals, and Soldiers (Cincinnati, OH: Moore, Wilstach, & Baldwin), 1868. ISBN 9781154801965
- Roster and Historical Sketch of the 101st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry (S.l.: s.n.), 1897.
- This article contains text from a text now in the public domain: Dyer, Frederick H. (1908). A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Des Moines, IA: Dyer Publishing Co.